View Single Post
Old 2013-08-24, 02:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by xAKUM3TSUx View Post
Hey guys! I'm really sorry if I'm not posting this in the right place but please excuse me as this my first time posting anything.

I recently purchased Reason not too long ago. I absolutely adore the program more than any other DAW out there and mainly use it for making metal music. I'm very new to the DAW universe so there's still so much I dont understand. Over time I noticed my bass would push away the impact of the kick drum and didn't know how to fix that problem. I've snooped around the internet and found some real helpful stuff about the sidechaining technique, but never understood it.

I use "Alt Drums" for my beats but also don't know how I would go about separating and sidechaining it to my bass audio track. If anyone here is interested in helping a sleezy newb learn this trick I am grateful. Again I'm sorry about posting this into the wrong area if so.
This issue is typically addressed with mixing techniques, which include how your record the instruments (not an option with samples) and careful EQ when necessary - although I will say I never EQ to make room for other instruments, I EQ to make the mix sound good! ;-)

It's very likely that the music you are inspired by does not use a side-chaining technique (but you never know!). If you're trying to create a new sound, this could be an interesting approach. But if you're interested in a more traditional sound, this may or may not get you there since it's probably not the way the originals were produced.

Posting some examples of the music you like vs the mixes you are getting would be helpful for any further feedback.

As for side chaining…

Probably the quickest way to explore side chain ducking with Reason is via the SSL mixer. You will need a 'trigger' for the ducking, and that would be the kick drum in your case. You'll need to split the kick drum any number of ways (using a Spider or an FX send are obvious choices) so you can keep one split as the original signal, and patch the other into the Side Chain input of the bass channel, like so:

There are other options along these same lines, though they are more complex. The next simplest option is to use a MClass compressor (or similar) for it's CV out, which you then send to an EQ via a Combinator. This allows you to reduce a specific frequency of the bass track when the kick hits, and should sound more 'transparent' since much of the sound is not being ducked. You can also use side-chained multi-band compression, ducking only a single band (usually the lowest one) with each kick.

Finally, there's this: the "Frequency Fighter".
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...19&postcount=6
Use it to duck ANY frequency present in the original. If the kick is strong at 60 Hz, then 60 Hz will be ducked. This is a MUCH more complex approach, but requires less 'fiddling' since it will duck any/all frequencies present in the "trigger" signal.

:-)
USA