View Single Post
Old 2003-05-16, 04:54

Scream on my guitar!

Well, I just got a new guitar (Gretsch G3161) which is beautiful. I was recording it into Cubase through my (modular) channel strip which involves a Speck MicPre5.0, Speck ASC EQ, and RNC compressor which are all very un-colored SS units.

Anyways, I was messing around, and I put IK's VST, Amplitube, on it for the heck of it, and got some nice, tubey sounds. I just have the demo of Amplitube, so I can't make really usable recordings with it due to those pops they put in it for "security". (On a different subject: I'm going to get crazy with the vocoder as an EQ--and notch filter it out!)

But, what I did was I recorded a track with Amplitube on it, ReCycled it, and brought it into Reason. I also did that with the same track with no Amplitube.

I brought them both in, but on the "dry" one, I added a scream to the Dr. Rex as well as a vocoder set to EQ.

Wouldn't you know it, but I tweaked that Scream back and forth with the Amplitubed track until I had a sound practically identical to it, but one that actually sat in the mix *way* better.

From now on, I'm going to do it that way. Demo record it with Amplitube in Cubase, then just tweak Scream to approximate it. Scream is *so* tasty!

This is all to say that there is no way in hell I'm going to spend $279 on Amplitube when I can get Reason's fuh-ricking-free updated distortion to do all of that and more.

Good work Props!

best-
.nick
millionVALVE--check new tracks