View Single Post
Old 2004-01-29, 22:04

Small MIDI Controller/Keyboard - Oxygen8, Edirol PCR-30 or..

Ok, I'm trying to work on my studio to make my set-up easier. I do have a nice Kurzweil K2000 on a stand and I do have a nice Roland PC-200 MKII (I should say HAD seeing I had to replace a couple of keys and fix it after the cat knocked it off the stand)... I also have a PhatBoy MIDI controller...

I am going to sell the PhatBoy and maybe the PC-200... And would like to get something such as the M-Audio Oxygen8 but I'm worried about it's size and lack of sliders. Then, their is the M-Audio Radium49 which has 49 keys along with 8 sliders and 8 knobs but, I'm worried that it will be too big. Which now brings me to the Edirol PCR-30 which has 32 keys, 8 knobs and 8 sliders...

Anyone use a Edirol RCR-30? How does it feel? Is it too small? I do like the fact that it has just as many MIDI control knobs and sliders as the Radium49, but, a more desktop managable size. I am figuring that with my K2000 near by, that if I need more octives, I can just go over there and play... My main task is to simplify my set-up...

Any opinions on these controllers? When is too small to small and too big is too big... And should I reconcider and get something that can do USB audio for the future (if I would get a Powerbook or iBook for Live playing)?

Thanks!
Bill