View Single Post
Old 2005-08-22, 07:02

Combinator ideas... Legit concepts...

Hi there... I dont know if staff read this as much as other community go'ers, but I have been doing some good thinking about the new Combinator device...

I could say a million things about what my perfect audio program would include, so I'll keep this focussed to the point:

1. REASON CAN BE USER FRIENDLY

This is the case when using it at home or studio to produce... However, all that sweet user friendly goodness gets a bit lost in live application... especially on low to mid range controllers...

The combinator has very nearly removed this from the list of things to do, with only a few exceptions that are important to me, but maybe not to others..

Recently I have been setting up reason primarily based around sample playback through the NN19 (still learning about the XT!) Essentially the setup I have constructed strives for realtime patch selection of all elements...

I truly desire FULL realtime control of not only parameters, but actual beat slicing etc...

I had thoughts of a new device that could enable my master keyboard (microKontrol) to act like a full 100% master trigger... however I soon found out that this was pretty much the combinator - but not quite.

THINGS I WOULD LOVE TO SEE IMPLEMENTED INTO THE COMBINATOR:

-Traditional Key Splitting
(ie you can split a key zone, but cant pick a base note for that zone -- thats it... just a base note... pleeease!) In almost all circumstances this nesecity can be avoided by tuning your instrument within the combinator... but there are small aspects left out without this [eg. using a single combinator to trigger temporary solo's for two internal Mixer 14:2's]

- More complex assignability

I'd love to see access to the mod wheel in "Modulation Routing" This is because a mod wheel on many interfaces provides more feel for short tweaks on various parameters... [eg. you could then assign the modwheel to the res and frq. on a Beat, as you can normally do, AND assign it to a delays feedback and mix AND a Phaser Mix that all affects the same Beat... By using multiple sample sequencing in the manner that I am, each sample could be provided with a different style of FX tweak...

You could also include a simple
"Source: learn from midi" into the "Modulation Routing" so that I could achieve super user friendly assigning of all the various sliders and buttons on my control suface that the combinator doesnt use... you could possibly incorporate the visual amount of controller input within a slighlty changed "mod routing" window in the form of a horizontal level meter look...

Further more... you could have a patch selector for the mod wheel, just like that used for pattern selection in the redrum device... one minute your slowly cutting low eq of the entire song or section to build up to the next section, then by selecting a new mod wheel patch, your now slowly feeding delay to the percussion only...

You may need to add a scroll down to "Modulation Routing" for this to reach full potential...

- Midi Mapping & Chord Memory
I could imagine the above two examples being implemented in a patch of sorts... This one is a bit more full scale... maybe reason 4???

Basically, on the theme of a master trigger, having midi mapping and chord memory assignable to a single key (key zone split to one key) would be fantastic. This could be achieved within the programmer window (or a similar extra window)

-Finally: A realtime controlled audio slicer would be great... ie hit an assigned button or key, and bingo -- from the second you push it to when you let go a the input is looped over a manually selected number of beats. Four of these in a row would form a great device...

I originally wanted this as part of the Dr.REX devices, but realised it could be well implemented elsewhere..

Best of all... I have actually successfully achieved the exact beat slicing mentioned above within reason, using various parellel delay units and mixers... This means that the basic Codeing principals to achieve this have already been covered by you guys at prop...

Whilst I love the fact that I came up with this crazy audio slicing design, I can see alot more potential for this as a stand alone unit... including attack/decay user friendly FX routing for each slicing channel.

[Note: whilst the outcome can be very common to many Jungle style breaks (A style of music I love producing), by haveing the slices operated according to BPM, the affect on hip hop beats, musical loops and music of all genre's and speeds can be lovely tweaked in realtime with fantastic results...]

Like I said, this is far from all the little ideas I get... but I guess that sums up the primary concept ideas I have for the combinator...

There is a chance that I just havent gotten my head fully around its capabilities... so if any of the above is easily achieved, let me know

WHY PROPELLERHEAD SHOULD READ THIS:

First off... these are of course just ideas... but it is important to recognise that the approach I have taken is for realtime electronic jamming, in the studio, or at gig... Full realtime gig production

I feel a new era coming on... computers have been available for live music production for a little while now... but I sense a strong competition in the industry surrounding this particular use of sound programs...

The goal of my experimental combinator designs is focussed around a user friendly live set design...

Ideally a single combinator could be used for full control of a live set, mixing up and between sampled & rex beats in realtime; shuttering in hard jungle sliced breaks; cutting the low EQ on just the drums ready to pump out the next Fat Bass line and then rock it even harder...

The beauty of it all is that I can nearly achieve all of this already... Implementing full INTIME audio sample playback similar to patch selection, and I'm especially loving beat slicing setup I made...

With this current approach alone, I can see excellent giging potential, in combination with various hardware synths and FX units...

The only thing is that I cant quite do everything I want... and the solutions with the combinator are quite straight forward... Basically... to achieve an awsome/"the ultimate" giging setup, I seem to be working around reason... not so much with it...

Thankyou very much for your time (if you've made it this far!)... I really do love using reason... I really do love the combinator... I really really want full access to my musical concepts, and I'm sooooo close... Please consider the above Idea's, and If for some reason you want more info, OR more ideas, let me know...

jbam21@hotmail.com

Kindest Regards

JB