View Single Post
Old 2007-06-14, 18:41

My last "Feature Suggestion" post (or something like that).

As of today, I'm "Reasonless" (i.e. with no access to a full version of Reason) and for a (very long) time, I'm afraid.

So, I guess I'd better "dump" here all the various notes I've been taking about what I missed while using Reason now and forget about it

Not every suggestion here is mine, of course. I mixed mine with others I've seen here and agree with.

This is just a quick copy-paste from a .txt file I used to keep track of these things while using Reason or reading this forum, so sorry for any weird grammar or typos.

So, if you don't like long posts or you're tired of these crazy "Feature Suggestion" threads, now's the time to skip to a more interesting thread

-----------------------------------------

GUI:
- Multi-column Rack
- Device icons on each menu item

Browser:
- Favorites as a folder tree (aka virtual file system)
- Show files inside ReFills greyed instead of hidden
- Possibility of dragging a folder tree to favorites and automatically get all the sub-folders created.

Sequencer:
- Drag'n'Drop'ing a device on a track should assign/connect that device to that track
- Device track assignment selection through a Cascading menu by device hierarchy/type (devices inside Combinators as sub-items)
- Vector-like modes on parameter editing (like using the SHIFT key when designing Matrix curves)
- Optional Tempo master track

reMix:
- Possibility to hide/collapse various sections (Aux, Eq, ...) so multi mixer setups only display the needed sections saving rack/screen space

Combinator:
- A Transpose setting, for each device (like existing note range)
- Knobs should snap to the correct target parameter values automatically
- Micro-display per knob showing the target parameter's value changes
- Multiple note range segments
- CV triggable "Run pattern devices" and "Turn effects off"
- Extra global volume (CC07) knob/slider to control every internal device volume
- Extra hideable section/segment with 8 to 10 sliders, knob+buttons or drawbars(!!!)
- Note/Gate CV internal output (like existing audio)
- Note/Gate CV internal to external output (like existing audio)

NN-XT:
- Support for .sfz format (like existing .sf2 support)
- Wave graphic display for visual loop point editing
- Optional time stretched pitch-shifting mode

Matrix:
- Loop Start CV trigger input with various modes:
- "Play once": (a.k.a. "Single Shot")
- "Start": to ignore the global START transport and only start after the first trigger.
- "Start/Stop": the same as the above but the second trigger would stop the sequence.
- "Play/Stop": to play the sequence while the trigger signal lasts (a bit like controlling the START button through a Sustain on/off pedal).
- "Play/Resume": the same but wouldn't reset the step cursor each time the CV signal stops.
- "Step play": Each trigger impulse would Play the current step's values and advance to the next step, bypassing the Matrix internal "clock" or resolution setting.-
- Step cursor CV input: The 0..127 CV values would have to be mapped to the 0..32(or 64) possible step positions. This would let random access to matrix "cell" values/notes and also externally controlled alternative play directions (reverse, ping-pong)
- More automation/combinator controllable parameters, like step selection, resolution selection
- Step cursor control through MIDI surface/keyboard
- Direct note+gate+curve(mod wheel?) input from MIDI surface/keyboard
- Paste (up to 32) note from sequencer to pattern
- More steps... 64 maybe ?
- Arpeggiator mode (matrix of played note order vs time)
- Show/Hide modes to the 3 displays (Note matrix, Gate now, Curve display). With this, one could have a more compact use of the rack when using just 1 of the possible signals (or expand to see all 3 at the same time, if required).

Dr.REX:
- Embedded ReCycle for in-rack .wav/.aiff slicing and saving as .rex
- Note/Gate CV input
- Loop Start CV trigger input with various modes
- "Play once": (a.k.a. "Single Shot")
- "Play/Stop": to play the sequence while the trigger signal lasts.
- "Play/Resume": the same but wouldn't reset the slice cursor each time the CV signal stops.
- "Step play": Each trigger impulse would Play the current slice and advance to the next slice.
- Step cursor CV input: The 0..127 CV values would have to be mapped to the 0..32 (or 64) possible step positions. This would let random access to matrix "cell" values/notes and also externally controlled alternative play directions (reverse, ping-pong)

ReDrum:
- Loop Start CV trigger input with various modes (*check Matrix)
- Step cursor CV input: The 0..127 CV values would have to be mapped to the 0..32 (or 64) possible step positions. This would let random access to matrix "cell" values/notes and also externally controlled alternative play directions (reverse, ping-pong)
- Paste (up to 64) notes (C1-A1 range) from sequencer to pattern
- Possibility to hide/collapse some sections useful in a multi ReDrum setup to only display the needed sections saving rack/screen space

Malstrom:
- Loadable alternate graintable sets

T**r:
- erm... detailed specs and more screenshots, including T**r's back?

New Effects Devices
- Pitch shifter
- hmmm... a trueish Leslie emulator ?

New CV Devices: (*please check "Reason needs more CV processing devices (IMHO)" thread for details)
- Arpeggiator (standalone or part of a new advanced CV processing device... or new Matrix mode)
- Spider CV II (backwards compatible enhanced Spider CV)
- MIDI2CV
- CV envelope/shaper (with invert and CV Sample&Hold triggable by CV)
- MicroTuner/NoteDetector

other Feature Suggestions (sorted by impossibility ratio ;P):
- Patch selection through MIDI "Program Change"
- MIDI-out
- Audio-IN
- Audio-Recording
- VST hosting
- Virtual MIDI (CV-like) cables and in/out on each device for in-rack poly-note processing and rerouting (PeterTools-like)

.done.
"Reason needs more CV processing devices (IMHO)" thread

Last edited by Koshdukai; 2009-04-14 at 11:26. Reason: Link to a forum thread updated to the new Forum URLs