View Single Post
Old 2008-02-16, 12:43

Reason Advanced Modeling GUI View

Hi fellows.

I'd like to share an idea that is probably not new in this forum, but for three reasons I'll happily take the risk of repeating the idea here:

1. It will unleash great Reason capacity which is currently constrained due to human limitations.

2. It is a natural step to take when the CPU's get stronger and the patches get more complex.

3. It hasn't been implemented yet.

BACKGROUND:

In the beginning, the Reason graphical user interface was excellent for simple patches.
Cpu's got more powerful and so did the reason racks - then we realized that the intuitive GUI was still sufficient - but only for simple patches. Making advanced patches was harder.
Often you had to make the complete design at once - rather than build it up incrementally - because it got so complex it was hard to overview the day after you started with it.

Suddenly the great Reason GUI felt insufficient.

Then came the Combinator - which does an excellent job in hiding away complexity. This allowed us to do more complex patches without having to expand our brains with 7 new dimensions.

Now, guess what, the CPU's are getting even more powerful. I don't know for sure, but I got the feeling that the patches could get increasingly more complex, and the only thing that would stop that is limitations of the human brain.

PROBLEM:

Making advanced patches is currently more difficult than it needs to be. We can do it, but it's hard because we have only one type of view where we see how the devices are connected - the Patch view.
We do the patching quickly, otherwise we forget the logical structure we want to make. Continuing with yesterdays rack requires us to spend time just in understanding how it's connected and where to continue.

Creativity and productivity suffers because of the badly presented complexity.

We feel we need to make advanced patches in "big-bang" solutions rather than building it up incrementally day by day. And this puts an unneccessary limitation of how complex a reason rack will be.

It doesn't have to be this way.

When the Prop's develop Reason, they use a number of different views of the application (class diagram, collaboration diagram etc) to get a good overview of the application.

If they had only one view to rely on I can guarantee Reason would either not be superior like it is today, or it would be much more buggy - and we would have to wait even longer between releases.

QUESTION: Name one good reason why the Reason users should have only one view to rely on when making patches?

SOLUTION:

Add a complementary "Reason Advanced Modeling View".
Hit a button and you'll see/build the rack in a CAD way rather than the instrument view.
In that CAD view, the devices looks the same, but they are spread out over the workspace and connected through lines easy to follow, logically grouped/collapsed so you get a good overview and still have the possibility to view chosen parts in detail.

You can add documentation to any part of the design, making it even easier to understand. (Actually, It's a mystery to me why context sensitive documentation hasn't yet been implemented. It IS an easy coding task and it IS necessary.)

In this view you can much easier see and understand how a patch is constructed. Because of that, it's much easier to make a complex design which you build incrementally rather than in one shot.

Think about this. I'm sure you can suggest many ways in which the Reason Advanced Modeling GUI Tool can be implemented...

...and...

...please list those implementation suggestions here!

Cheers,
RSB