View Single Post
Old 2011-03-25, 10:07

Rant - Renovation of the Reason synths

eXode's rant on renovation of the Reason synths and other stuff
This is a compilation of most of my previous requests. These reflect my personal wishes and even though I understand that most of them are unrealistic and unlikely to happen (at least not in the current synths) I still want to voice them! And no, I don't want a new synth unless it's actually a digital FM/Additive synth that do something completely new, but in my dream, I would like to see the existing ones (esp Subtractor and Malström) refurbished to these new specs.

Reason
  • Not a synth, but incorporate an oversampling option to the Reason synths and devices with oversampling option on each device.
  • Master tune knob added to all instrument devices.
Subtractor II
  • Addition of an unison mode with selectable voices, 1-8 voices with detune and stereo spread, both monophonic and polyphonic modes.
  • Addition of a mod matrix at the bottom of the Sub, Thor inspired.
  • Four new high quality "analogue" waveforms with less aliasing in addition to the current ones.
  • Add a new model of the existing filter to either self oscillation or no self oscillation (or switchable).
  • Make Filter 2 multimode.
  • Addition of audio input on back.
  • EXT IN as option on on either OSC 1 or 2 for Ring Mod and FM use.
  • Incorporate an "old school" mode switch to retain backwards compatibility.
Malström II
  • Addition of an unison mode with selectable voices, 1-8 voices with detune and stereo spread, both monophonic and polyphonic modes.
  • Addition of a mod matrix at the bottom of the Malström, Thor inspired.
  • Linear FM between the oscillators.
  • Support for loading NN19 patches and wav/aif samples into the graintable slots.
  • Record stretch and neptune pitchshift technology could be incorporated and used on motion and shift when using samples.
  • Incorporate an "old school" mode switch to retain backwards compatibility.
Thor II
  • Addition of a sample playing oscillator supporting the loading of NN-19 patches (only the multisample data) as well as wav/aif samples.
  • Addition of Kong effect modules as filter modules, including the new filter, ring modulator, compressor, equalizer, overdrive, reverb and tape echo.
  • Add the stuff described in Things I think is missing in Thor.
Like stated in the beginning of this rant as well as in the "Things I think is missing in Thor" rant, these are some of my darkest id wishes for Reason (a percent anyways). Also the reason I want these updated and not new synths is that I actually think that the Sub and Malström are excellent instruments at the core and worh expanding on rather than just making new stuff.

Last edited by eXode; 2012-02-09 at 11:02.