Propellerhead Software
Old 2008-01-23, 00:38

Midi-Controller Tower of Power

Wouldnt it be great if they made midi controllers resembling each device in the reason rack?
Then you could buy them (one at the time) and place them into a rack in your studio. If you dont need all of them you could buy the ones you use.
Then they could be connected using midi cables.

For the unfoldable devices only the folded view should be made into a mididevice (like the combinator, thor and advanced reverb).

Would look great too
Old 2008-02-04, 17:14

Re: Midi-Controller Tower of Power

i posted something similar not too long ago... i was looking into building a midi controller that would give me a more hands on approach to the thor, but i realized that it is near impossible, and would be VERY expensive.

if you want to get hands on, you're better off just picking up a hardware synth
Old 2008-02-04, 22:49

Thats not reallt what i meant. I just thought i would be cool if Propellerheads or M-Audio or someone would build some sort of "modular" midi control enviroment for their devices. Maybe a piece to represent every device in the rack, and then you could buy the ones you needed. The synth controls wouldnt need to have a keyboard, just a layout of the most important knobs, switches and faders. And maybe they could display the same info as the device in reason, like the graintable info in malmstr
Old 2008-02-05, 03:40

: Thats not reallt what i meant. I just thought i would be cool if Propellerheads or M-Audio or someone would build some sort of "modular" midi control enviroment for their devices. Maybe a piece to represent every device in the rack, and then you could buy the ones you needed. The synth controls wouldnt need to have a keyboard, just a layout of the most important knobs, switches and faders. And maybe they could display the same info as the device in reason, like the graintable info in malmstr
Old 2008-02-05, 16:19

I have a novation x-station, a korg kaoss pad mk 3 and a faderfox, so i dont lack in controls
But would still like to see some dedicated midicontrols for reason though...

: thats why my suggestion was to get a hardware synth if u really want total hands on control of all parameters
:
:
:
Old 2008-02-05, 17:50

: I have a novation x-station, a korg kaoss pad mk 3 and a faderfox, so i dont lack in controls
: But would still like to see some dedicated midicontrols for reason though...
:
:
:
: : thats why my suggestion was to get a hardware synth if u really want total hands on control of all parameters
: :

i think it would be great to have some sort of dedicated midi controller made specifically for reason. i wonder why one doesnt already exist!
but, i think that most companies just put out a generic format for the controllers so that they work with just about any program that you throw at them. the trade off however, is that it only works ok with everything, rather than great with just one thing.

there are a couple controllers that mimic the combinator layout, which is great, but for those that want to really design some sounds using a controller, it is near impossible.
i think that a controller like the novations and korg kontrols are the first step towards this (due to visual feedback), but still lack the amount of controls necessary and ease of use.

not to mention automation!

each knob would have to be an endless rotary with an led indicator (like teh bcr thing by behringer) and faders would have to be motorized, along with several lcds that display visual feedback.

this is not impossible to do.

if you were to combine the bcr and bcf and added lcds, several buttons (with visual feed back) that were programmable to light up in various colors or go through a selection of options, then you might have a controller that actually has some balls. it would all have to be laid out logically of course, with lcd scribble strips to label your groups of faders and knobs.
add a keyboard and audio interface and you have the best thing that ever happened to computer music.