Propellerhead Software
Old 2008-05-16, 14:47
Jonas76

East West/Quantum Leap Orchestra

Hey guys,
I'm really new to all this so forgive me ahead of time for any questions that might not make sense or are just plain n00b.
Ok. I've never used east west/quantum leap products and was wondering essentially if its as easy to use as a refill.
I'm a guitarist, but I've set myself up with and M-Audio 49, Pro-tools, M-box, Reason 4, and all my guitar gear. My music is style is "NightWish" "Dimmu Borghir" style, so the orchestra is a key component to my music. Since I've never use East West/Quantum Leap (thats the longest title....) I'm not sure I should move in that direction. But then again...maybe some of you know. Any advice would be great!
Thanks.
Old 2008-05-18, 04:34

Re: East West/Quantum Leap Orchestra

: Hey guys,
: I'm really new to all this so forgive me ahead of time for any questions that might not make sense or are just plain n00b.
: Ok. I've never used east west/quantum leap products and was wondering essentially if its as easy to use as a refill.
: I'm a guitarist, but I've set myself up with and M-Audio 49, Pro-tools, M-box, Reason 4, and all my guitar gear. My music is style is "NightWish" "Dimmu Borghir" style, so the orchestra is a key component to my music. Since I've never use East West/Quantum Leap (thats the longest title....) I'm not sure I should move in that direction. But then again...maybe some of you know. Any advice would be great!
: Thanks.

Well, if you get it, you're going to be using it either through its standalone player (based on Kompakt) or through Kontakt as a plug-in in another DAW (let's say, Logic, Cubase or Live).

As you know you can get different editions. I have Platinum XT. I dunno if thats still the biggest and the baddest but it still was when I got it.

The pros -- probably the best sounds out there (maybe Vienna is close or slightly better on some sounds). Specially strings -- wow. The best for Reason is the Miroslav re-fill, and EWSOL is way beyond that. Everything is multimiked so you can easily change the listening perspective. They have a legato playing mode which is pretty good.

The cons -- huge storage requirements -- many tens of gigabytes. Not really possible to use it with Reason without rewiring to another DAW. The sheer complexity and number of possible sounds is almost mind-boggling. Heavy use of disk streaming can result in sound dropouts and overall less reliability than you might be used to with Reason. The keyswitching for changing articulations is really hard to get used to.

I have to be honest, for me this product, although I'm sure very powerful in the right hands, is gathering dust. It's just too complex and too taxing on my computer (and I have a very fast computer). Another reason is that I've given up on trying to emulate the sound of an orchestra. It's one thing if you have to do that because you're scoring TV shows or commercials or some such, but if you're just doing music as a creative outlet, I really think trying to get a "real" orchestra sound out of samples is a tremendous waste of energy.

Also, don't even think of trying to change the disk you keep your sample library on once you've done the initial install. The product is too dumb to find the samples again.

Finally, I'm very skeptical about East West when it comes to installation. I had troubles with the XT versions and figuring out how they installed with the originals. Also I've had huge problems with some of their other products (Fab Four) which were never resolved. They're nice people and their products sounds good, but the products are kind of green bananas and you might get very frustrated with the hassles.

Just my 2 cents. The Miroslav stuff for Reason is fine, doesn't quite match up to the HUGE sounds you can get with East West, but fine (its also a fraction of the price). The big annoyance there is a comparatively small range of articulations and a real lack of looped string and horn samples.

One final note: EW also makes "Symphonic Choirs" which has this software that supposedly you can use to make it sing words (or at least things that sound like vowels and consonants). If you think EWSOL is complicated, forget about Symphonic Choirs. Again, great sounds, but the interface required to make it sing "words" is beyond impossible to use, in my opinion.

Keep in mind I'm a part-time amateur. If you do this 100% of the time for a living, you might be able to get on top of these products.

a liquid blueprint
Old 2008-05-18, 04:50

I agree with CWCPR. I also have EWQLSO and now it's gathering dust. It's complicated and frustrating software to use. However, its sounds are awesome. I also have Miroslav and I use it often. Hopefully, someone would put EWQLSO sounds into refill format. That would be awesome.

Old 2008-05-19, 14:00
Jonas76

: : Hey guys,
: : I'm really new to all this so forgive me ahead of time for any questions that might not make sense or are just plain n00b.
: : Ok. I've never used east west/quantum leap products and was wondering essentially if its as easy to use as a refill.
: : I'm a guitarist, but I've set myself up with and M-Audio 49, Pro-tools, M-box, Reason 4, and all my guitar gear. My music is style is "NightWish" "Dimmu Borghir" style, so the orchestra is a key component to my music. Since I've never use East West/Quantum Leap (thats the longest title....) I'm not sure I should move in that direction. But then again...maybe some of you know. Any advice would be great!
: : Thanks.
:
:
: Well, if you get it, you're going to be using it either through its standalone player (based on Kompakt) or through Kontakt as a plug-in in another DAW (let's say, Logic, Cubase or Live).
:
: As you know you can get different editions. I have Platinum XT. I dunno if thats still the biggest and the baddest but it still was when I got it.
:
: The pros -- probably the best sounds out there (maybe Vienna is close or slightly better on some sounds). Specially strings -- wow. The best for Reason is the Miroslav re-fill, and EWSOL is way beyond that. Everything is multimiked so you can easily change the listening perspective. They have a legato playing mode which is pretty good.
:
: The cons -- huge storage requirements -- many tens of gigabytes. Not really possible to use it with Reason without rewiring to another DAW. The sheer complexity and number of possible sounds is almost mind-boggling. Heavy use of disk streaming can result in sound dropouts and overall less reliability than you might be used to with Reason. The keyswitching for changing articulations is really hard to get used to.
:
: I have to be honest, for me this product, although I'm sure very powerful in the right hands, is gathering dust. It's just too complex and too taxing on my computer (and I have a very fast computer). Another reason is that I've given up on trying to emulate the sound of an orchestra. It's one thing if you have to do that because you're scoring TV shows or commercials or some such, but if you're just doing music as a creative outlet, I really think trying to get a "real" orchestra sound out of samples is a tremendous waste of energy.
:
: Also, don't even think of trying to change the disk you keep your sample library on once you've done the initial install. The product is too dumb to find the samples again.
:
: Finally, I'm very skeptical about East West when it comes to installation. I had troubles with the XT versions and figuring out how they installed with the originals. Also I've had huge problems with some of their other products (Fab Four) which were never resolved. They're nice people and their products sounds good, but the products are kind of green bananas and you might get very frustrated with the hassles.
:
: Just my 2 cents. The Miroslav stuff for Reason is fine, doesn't quite match up to the HUGE sounds you can get with East West, but fine (its also a fraction of the price). The big annoyance there is a comparatively small range of articulations and a real lack of looped string and horn samples.
:
: One final note: EW also makes "Symphonic Choirs" which has this software that supposedly you can use to make it sing words (or at least things that sound like vowels and consonants). If you think EWSOL is complicated, forget about Symphonic Choirs. Again, great sounds, but the interface required to make it sing "words" is beyond impossible to use, in my opinion.
:
: Keep in mind I'm a part-time amateur. If you do this 100% of the time for a living, you might be able to get on top of these products.
:
:
:
:

Thank you so much for that insight. The only reason for I was interested was for the sounds, but if the complexity and hardware/software issues will detour from the creative process and stifle it in the process then I rather not bother. I am currently using Miroslav, and it cuts the mustard for what I do...i rather take advantage of the simplicity to get the concept across and then let a full fledged keyboardist translate the magic with the proper equipment. THANK YOU AGAIN!