Propellerhead Software
Old 2009-03-31, 01:18

a smooth jazz arrangement

This is a probably a little different than most of the stuff you find around here. The bridge of the song has a lot of polytonal things going on, otherwise it's very triadic.

Here's the .rps file:
http://tinyurl.com/cjygx6

and the MP3
http://tinyurl.com/c5dyz5

Cheers,
J
Old 2009-03-31, 02:37

Good for you! I'm all for there being more jazz influenced Reason tunes. Your use of chromaticism is wonderful. You stray from home but never so far as to get lost. I do feel that the real lizard here is the drum track. It is a little to lounge music juxtaposed to some really nice modern chordal progressions. If you could some how get away from the canned beat and give the percussion a more contemporary approach, it would be nails!! Perhaps more brushes and cymbal work. Although, now that I'm thinking about it, I'm not sure Reason provides any good solutions for this problem in house. You might have to look elsewhere.

This tune deserves some more consideration and length. Keep going!!!!

All the best,

KIBEJA

CD "Harvest Song" available at : CD Baby - iTunes
Old 2009-03-31, 10:03

Nice tune. Agree with kibeja about drums. I'll put softer touch on drums it'll go better with song. My Funny Valentine is jazz standard so I think you should improvise more on it and go little further from main theme. It means little longer piece too.