Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2009-07-22, 19:22

Whoever solves my problem receives 100 $ via Paypal

Whoever solves my problem receives 100 $ via Paypal!!!

Hey guys ! This is no scam ! We're trying to record vocals in RECORD and are running into a major problem. We will pay 100$ to the person who solves our problem via Paypal or Money order. Let me explain !

Here is our equipment first of all:
-SE 2200T (Tube mic)
-Motu Ultralite MK3 (Firewire audio interface)
-Mack book pro 17", Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 2Go 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 300GB 7200 RPM

Now the problem is that we wanted to make sure we would get good vocal presets allready mixed etc... So we decided to delete all instrument parts from this demo song in RECORD called "PUSH ME DOWN" and just keep the vocals with their effects and EQ presets and Compressors etc... so we could export it and open it up again in RECORD so we could use it as a vocal template when recording singers. (I know this has been mixed in one of Sweden's biggest studios, this could be the problem maybe ?)

Now here comes the problem, when we go onto any of the audio tracks and put our headphones on we can hear this annoying shhhhhhhhhh type of sound as if we were by the sea. When we record many tracks this way and then play all of them together well it does get pretty annoying and doesn't make things crystal clear...

Anyone knows what's the problem ????????????? 100 BUCKS to whoever figures out this issue !!!!!!
NO BULLCRAP !

P.S If anyone has RECORD and wants me to send them the RECORD file I'm talking about please e-mail me at carlitos-beats@hotmail.com so you understand better what I mean.
Old 2009-07-22, 20:17

If you didn't see my post on the beta forum....

Simply on your audio channel in mixer view (F5) be sure to go to section called "Dynamics". In the lower section to the right of the word GATE, click the "On" button. Then using the Range dial adjust until you hear the noise dimminish. You can fine tune your gate using threshold and release to better suit your environment. THRES is the volume level that needs to be overcome before it picks up the mic and REL is the rate of release on the input can be fast or taper off slow.

Old 2009-07-22, 20:17

check the fx returns in the master part of the mixer the tiny buttuns are you monitoring something other than Vox?
pcasson@hotmail.co.uk
Old 2009-07-22, 20:29

I agree that this could be an effects issue as well. Drop out the effects in the channel one by one and see if one of those is the culprit. Those are the numbers in the SEND section of the channel. The easier thing to do is probably just open a new clean audio track, set your input and then adjust your GATE to cut the ambient noise out. Unless your using PRE effects you always have time to adjust a good mix in the end. There are a good set of effects you can load from the Record Bank and even copy the channel settings from an existing song.

Old 2009-07-22, 21:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizard3209 View Post
I agree that this could be an effects issue as well. Drop out the effects in the channel one by one and see if one of those is the culprit. Those are the numbers in the SEND section of the channel. The easier thing to do is probably just open a new clean audio track, set your input and then adjust your GATE to cut the ambient noise out. Unless your using PRE effects you always have time to adjust a good mix in the end. There are a good set of effects you can load from the Record Bank and even copy the channel settings from an existing song.
This don't change anything ! The only time I get almost no sound at all is when click on BYPASS the INSERT effects but then the voice gets too blury and low...
Old 2009-07-22, 23:25

Not to be sarcastic, but it sounds like part of the problem is "we wanted to make sure we would get good vocal presets allready mixed etc... So we decided to delete all instrument parts from this demo song in RECORD called "PUSH ME DOWN". Good vocal presets already mixed? If you haven't tracked the vocal yet, how could you possibly have that? I'm not sure if there's even such a thing. It's not like your talking outboard gear settings. Know what I mean?

I'm not trying to be over critical at all, just looking at it from the outside in. I say forget about the Push Me Down template and start from scratch. There are a lot of tips and tricks to learn from that song, but before you get to that point you need to make sure you can get a solid performance first. Then you'll refer to Push to analyze and reverse engineer what was going on there and figure out what might work for you. But templates? That ain't the answer.
Old 2009-07-22, 23:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by reasongroove View Post
not to be sarcastic, but it sounds like part of the problem is "we wanted to make sure we would get good vocal presets allready mixed etc... So we decided to delete all instrument parts from this demo song in record called "push me down". Good vocal presets already mixed? If you haven't tracked the vocal yet, how could you possibly have that? I'm not sure if there's even such a thing. It's not like your talking outboard gear settings. Know what i mean?

I'm not trying to be over critical at all, just looking at it from the outside in. I say forget about the push me down template and start from scratch. There are a lot of tips and tricks to learn from that song, but before you get to that point you need to make sure you can get a solid performance first. Then you'll refer to push to analyze and reverse engineer what was going on there and figure out what might work for you. But templates? That ain't the answer.
............. +1

Airwave & Avatar One - Chase Childhood Monsters - out now on J00f Recordings Listen/Buy on Beatport
Old 2009-07-22, 23:44

if the insert effect has compression as part of it(most vocal fx has compression), it will raise the noise floor of the mic. Set any compression dials on the insert fx section and mixing desk to zero(switch comp from on th off). From here you should able to achieve a silent channel after adjusting the range dial on the gate section (with gate on). The reapply the compression settings in the demo song(switch comp on again).

Still got hiss? Lower the input level of your mic in your soundcard control panel. If the hiss doesn't quieten (with no compression) then its not a signal-to-noise issue and its something else, but its probably that.
You have a good mic and preamp, i expect you can fix this.
Old 2009-07-23, 00:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag858 View Post
if the insert effect has compression as part of it(most vocal fx has compression), it will raise the noise floor of the mic. Set any compression dials on the insert fx section and mixing desk to zero(switch comp from on th off). From here you should able to achieve a silent channel after adjusting the range dial on the gate section (with gate on). The reapply the compression settings in the demo song(switch comp on again).

Still got hiss? Lower the input level of your mic in your soundcard control panel. If the hiss doesn't quieten (with no compression) then its not a signal-to-noise issue and its something else, but its probably that.
You have a good mic and preamp, i expect you can fix this.
How about I send you the file so you can check it and correct it and send it back to me ? give me your e-mail please !!! thanx !!!
Old 2009-08-13, 21:00

First of all, just to be sure, you have enabled phantom power, and no padding on the MOTU interface, right?
Record silence and see what kind of noise level you get from your setup.
Not sure what can cause hissing other than the hardware.. if it was low frequency then I would recommend using another power source. Fewer things per fuse, the better (or rather, after ground).

Gating it is a quite bad solution to remove hiss in many cases, since the hiss will become even more noticeable when the gate opens and closes.