Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2009-08-30, 08:13

Reason/Record NEEDS Spectrum Analysis

Hello all you beautiful musicions and engineers out there at Propellerhead.

I recently took a course on Audio Engineering and vastly expanded my knowledge of how to properly mix down musical compositions.

One thing that was driven into my head was the need to use Spectrum Analyzers when doing mixdowns.

Reason / Record is LACKING in this.

I Currenly need to rewire into a 3rd party application to use a spectrum analysis plugin so that I can SEE the frequency ranges my sounds have in order to properly EQ them for mixdowns.

Reason / Record would be vastly more powerful for creating better sounding music if it had a device that had a proper spectrum analysis view. Perhaps even the Hardware Device could include it at the top of the rack.

Currently the only thing remotely close is the Vocoder's spectrum analysis bars but this device is grossly inacurate and does not meter correctly. What I mean by this is the bouncing bars representing the frequency are not accuratly labelled and so you can not figure out what bar is what frequency and therefore you can not use the eq easily to adjust frequencies.

I absolutely LOVE Reason and am thrilled by the coming of Record however both do not seem to include one of the most powerful tools for a recording engineer. The spectrum Analyzer.

ITS THE ONLY THING MISSING IN THESE WONDERFUL PROGRAMS!!

Please please please build one into the next version,

Yours Truely,

DJ Phroh
www.myspace.com/djphroh
www.facebook.com/djphrhoh
Old 2009-08-30, 08:51

I doubt it's the "only thing missing" but I agree, a spectrum analyzer would be great.

That said, anyone know of a good/simple/cheap way of getting spectrum analysis? Is there a simple/cheap ReWire host that can do it?
Old 2009-08-30, 19:43

You are right.. the other thing, with respect to this same concept of mixdowns... would be to make the MClass Equalizer actually mute a frequency when you notch it and turn it completely down. Currently i have to stack several MClass EQ's to do this.

Phroh
www.myspace.com/djphroh
www.facebook.com/djphroh
Old 2009-08-30, 18:14

Umm, so basically you are saying that you cant mix without a spectrum analyzer?
Old 2009-08-30, 19:24

http://www.wendydunham.com/the-studi...-analyzer.html

music at: http://soundcloud.com/techdef
or http://techdef.bandcamp.com/

mixes are up at http://www.mixcloud.com/techdef/
theatrical sound design blog at http://thtrsnd.wordpress.com/
Old 2009-08-30, 19:41

I built my own version of this combinator and was using it but ITS CRAP CRAP CRAP CRAP!!! Sorry to say!!

The reason its crap is because the spectrum analyzer in the vocoder has the decibal level labelled but there are no labels for the frequency ranges. I can't PRECICELY determine which bouncing bar is 100hz and which is 200hz etc..

Its a good idea but its not accuratly enough to be REALLY useful!

Phroh
www.myspace.com/djphroh
www.facebook.com/djphroh
Old 2009-08-30, 19:49

Yes... and anyone who does hasn't gone to audio engineering school!!!
Old 2012-02-10, 12:45

I never gone to an sound engineenering school and i can do a good mix without a spectrum analyzer !! Use EQ to find the right frequencies, use your ear. everything is about training, if you never try you never know.
Old 2012-02-10, 14:37

Hey, does anyone know what this thing is? While I was in R6, it came up when I hit my F12 key by mistake. It’s kind of cute but it looks pretty worthless; my ears don't have eyes.

I’m not against a spectrum analyzer but there are many other major new additions that should come first. The professionals here say that's it's a wonderful thing to have - if you are doing ultimate quality work and even then just once in a blue moon. The ears come first. Its addition to R7/R8 would probably be beyond any real use by half (my guess) of Reason users, whereas other major additions would be useful to all.
Old 2012-02-10, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarktw View Post

I think you'll find that's really a 3D radar scan of the Marianas Trench