Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2009-08-31, 05:28

I'm losing my brand loyalty towards Propellerhead Software

I'm starting to lose my brand loyalty towards Propellerheads. The two main factors are the slow development pace and lack of implementation of users feature requests.

I work with young people teaching audio production and have considerable influence on which software tools they learn.

Why should I recommend Propellerhead software over competing software to the youngsters I work with? What does Propellerheads software offer that isn't already more advanced in competitors software?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some examples to illustrate the point.

Development time and feature requests:

Cockos Reaper is updated several times a month with bug fixes and new feature requests. It records audio out of the box, supports every format I can think of, is themable and costs $60.

Melda Production implemented a feature I had requested within a week of my request being made. (Phase invert on their modulators within the MCreative Bundle)

One Small Clue implemented several feature requests within two days. (One related to themeing and another releated to default behaviours).

Software Features

FL Studio (often considered as Reasons main competitor amongst the young people I work with) supports audio recording and VSTs. It is very stable on all the platforms I have tested it upon.

Most DAW software now has inbuilt beat slicing tools.

Many programs now allow users to retheme or even rework entirely the default GUI. Some have built in editors (Reaper) whilst others use image sets (.png format) and XML for layout.

The Young People

One of the young people I taught basic music production concepts (using Reason) is now going to start a music engineering degree next month. He barely uses Reason any more, prefering Cubase 5. Part of me wonders why I shouldn't just start kids of on Cubendo style software to begin with?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is no longer relevant who we were yesterday or what we achieved in the past, what we do today is the true measure of who we are.

My opinion is that Propellerhead software is slacking in light of recent developments in the music software industry.

Jaded I may be, but part of me still wants to be able to recommend Propellerheads software as a serious solution for making music with computers...

What do you think?

Last edited by ukpat; 2009-08-31 at 05:35.
Old 2009-08-31, 05:35

Brand Loyalty? if you were truely "brand loyal" wouldnt you at least be registered?
Old 2009-08-31, 05:50

And what? I want people who browse this website to be able to read this post, not just prepaid customers.

For someone who recently registered several programs after years of using cracks, I'm also a potential customer lost. It took me two years of using Reaper in 'evaluation mode' before I shelled out a measily $60 dollars for it.

Furthermore, my places of work have included two establishments within Trafford Council and one with Oxford Council that have licenced copies of Reason. Just because I have choosen to use cracks at home for many years doesn't mean that I don't have the power to influence the people I work with and make purchasing decisions for.

I post on other forums too, so once more there is an area of influence not related to whether I personally use registered copies of Propellerhead software or not.

I'm waiting to see what Propellerhead release after Record is out of the way. For me that will be the make or break program. I'll either pay for Reason (and Recycle) or seriously promote other software companies as being 'better'.

Just because I've been illegitimate up to this point doesn't mean I won't at somepoint spend money on the software I use (as I have started doing so recently). There are both ethical and legal reasons for me to decide to purchase software in a range of settings, but I want to support a progressive company, not one set on high profit margins.

Last edited by ukpat; 2009-08-31 at 05:53.
Old 2009-08-31, 06:00

i find holes in your statements...... posting to the general forum is not a reason to not register....... if you knew what you doing on this forum you have such power over.... you would notice that i am registered and im posting to the same place.... using non registered software and advertising competitors products is not what i would consider brand loyalty.... you seem to expect a lot from a company you admitidly steal from.....
Old 2009-08-31, 10:09

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukpat View Post
And what? I want people who browse this website to be able to read this post, not just prepaid customers.

For someone who recently registered several programs after years of using cracks, I'm also a potential customer lost. It took me two years of using Reaper in 'evaluation mode' before I shelled out a measily $60 dollars for it.

Furthermore, my places of work have included two establishments within Trafford Council and one with Oxford Council that have licenced copies of Reason. Just because I have choosen to use cracks at home for many years doesn't mean that I don't have the power to influence the people I work with and make purchasing decisions for.

I post on other forums too, so once more there is an area of influence not related to whether I personally use registered copies of Propellerhead software or not.

I'm waiting to see what Propellerhead release after Record is out of the way. For me that will be the make or break program. I'll either pay for Reason (and Recycle) or seriously promote other software companies as being 'better'.

Just because I've been illegitimate up to this point doesn't mean I won't at somepoint spend money on the software I use (as I have started doing so recently). There are both ethical and legal reasons for me to decide to purchase software in a range of settings, but I want to support a progressive company, not one set on high profit margins.
Remember to shut the door on yer way out.
Old 2009-09-03, 19:53

Given the time it takes for you to decide on spending $60 it will take you 10 years before you're ready to place an order for Record.

But as the loyal customer you are, I'm sure you'll get some extra stickers once you do.

/sp0
Old 2009-09-03, 19:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp0bjogu View Post
Given the time it takes for you to decide on spending $60 it will take you 10 years before you're ready to place an order for Record.

But as the loyal customer you are, I'm sure you'll get some extra stickers once you do.

/sp0
yeah but no telling what those stickers might say--special order for this one...

music at: http://soundcloud.com/techdef
or http://techdef.bandcamp.com/

mixes are up at http://www.mixcloud.com/techdef/
theatrical sound design blog at http://thtrsnd.wordpress.com/
Old 2009-08-31, 08:39

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess the Props don't care to much about brand loyalty from people using cracked software.

Rack Extension Review -reviews, tutorials, forums
Old 2009-08-31, 09:55

Reason is Reason it is not FL Reaper or anything else .....if aint broke why should they fix it? I'm sure for everyone like you that dislikes the way Props run things there will be someone waiting to take your place... I have Cubase 5 ...Logic... Reaper and some (all legit too) and they are all different in their own rights...you're a bit like people complaining about politicians when they don't vote...... get Trafford Council to complain on your behalf if they are the legal owners......
Old 2009-08-31, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukpat View Post
Cockos Reaper is updated several times a month with bug fixes
Well there's a good reason not to use Reaper.