Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2009-10-27, 16:24

Refill, Loops, and Plugins

I am about to buy Reason. Being unfamiliar with it at this point, I would like a little advice regarding refills / loops to go with it.
1. It would appear, from doing a lot of looking online, that refills in general are just sounds and patches – not phrase players or loops – unless specifically stated, is that correct? I’m not an accomplished keyboard player, so I will be looking for music phrases to use – not just sounds to play myself. For example it would appear that the Reason Strings Refill has loops to use, but the Reason Electric Bass refill (and the other reason refills) just have sounds that you must play from your keyboard – am I understanding this correctly? So if I am looking at 3rd party refills – they will only “play music for me” if it states that loops are included, right?

2. Is there a significant difference in buying rex loops and other loops? How much extra work would it be to make sony loops usable, for example – or loops that are provided as .wav files?

3. How compatible are products from Uebershall – The Elastik series (which comes with its own “Elastik player”, or the Liquid series.

4. Melodyne Sound Library seems like it would do what I want (same content as Ueberschall’s Liquid instruments). How easily is Melodyne used with Reason? Can Melodyne Plugin be used within Reason like any other plugin?

5. How about virtual guitarist, virtual bassist, broomstick Bass, real Guitars . . . (All VST Instruments) Can an I use them in Reason?

6. Any other info or advice on the subject?
Old 2009-10-27, 16:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWhitt View Post
I am about to buy Reason. Being unfamiliar with it at this point, I would like a little advice regarding refills / loops to go with it.
1. It would appear, from doing a lot of looking online, that refills in general are just sounds and patches – not phrase players or loops – unless specifically stated, is that correct? I’m not an accomplished keyboard player, so I will be looking for music phrases to use – not just sounds to play myself. For example it would appear that the Reason Strings Refill has loops to use, but the Reason Electric Bass refill (and the other reason refills) just have sounds that you must play from your keyboard – am I understanding this correctly? So if I am looking at 3rd party refills – they will only “play music for me” if it states that loops are included, right?

2. Is there a significant difference in buying rex loops and other loops? How much extra work would it be to make sony loops usable, for example – or loops that are provided as .wav files?

3. How compatible are products from Uebershall – The Elastik series (which comes with its own “Elastik player”, or the Liquid series.

4. Melodyne Sound Library seems like it would do what I want (same content as Ueberschall’s Liquid instruments). How easily is Melodyne used with Reason? Can Melodyne Plugin be used within Reason like any other plugin?

5. How about virtual guitarist, virtual bassist, broomstick Bass, real Guitars . . . (All VST Instruments) Can an I use them in Reason?

6. Any other info or advice on the subject?

1 Refills are just saved patches for the various instruments and effects that reason can use. Some are samples, some are synths, some are audio loops, it depends what they are for.
2. If you want to get serious about using loops and samples in Reason you should look at getting Recycle, which makes custom rex file loops. Reason can utilized Rex and Wav files. a rex file is like a wav file with midi data that allows you to keep you loop in time. Wav files are a little less flexible but still easy enough to import into various components in Reason, Sony files need to be converted to wav files and then to rex files with recycle.
3 Wouldn't know, it's nothing like Reason and I'm plenty amused enough without having to go look into it.
4 Propellerheads don't do plug-ins.
5 No native VST support, but you can utilised Rewire to connect Reason to most popular music software.
6 If you're going to get you knickers in a twist about not having VST support then you have two options.
Option 1) Forget it, Reason isn't for you because you are too set in your ways.
Option 2) Learn about the components of Reason, especially the Thor polyphonic synth and carefully consider if you're going to need all those VST's anyhow.
Old 2009-10-27, 17:07

Thanks, Pushedbutton. Regarding #6 (Option 2) and the suggestion of Thor in relation to the VSTs I mentioned - Keep in mind that those VSTs are phrase players - they play prerecorded audio performances by professional musicians, which you can place in sequences similar to loops. There's nothing within Reason that does this is there? I guess the alternative becomes actual loops, right?
Old 2009-10-27, 17:18

You need to look into these ....
The NN19 Digital Sampler
The NN XT Advanced Sampler
The Dr Rex Loop player
The ReDrum drum Computer

all devices that use samples in reason.
Old 2009-10-27, 17:45

Quote:
Keep in mind that those VSTs are phrase players - they play prerecorded audio performances by professional musicians, which you can place in sequences similar to loops. There's nothing within Reason that does this is there?
Reason Pianos refill was all recorded by professional musicians, so is the Reason drum kits refill, and their Abbey road one. Look into Sonic Reality refills, they have everything you need, apart from the Props own refills. If you're looking for just loops and sample based refills, there are so many of them as well. Do a search in this site on Best Refills and you'll find a lot of info.

P.S. Oh....how bad we need stickies, for quicker reference.
Old 2009-10-27, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecopro View Post
Reason Pianos refill was all recorded by professional musicians
Just so I understand correctly - are you saying Reason's Pianos Refill actually plays piano music for you? If not, we're comparing apples and oranges here. My understanding wa that the pianos refill is just samples - you get the sound of each note as you play them on your keyboard.

Do you understand what I'm saying? Virtual guitarist, for example, is not just sampled guitar notes to play back from your keyboard, its sections of guitar performances, similar to loops, that you can sequence togerther to make complete songs.

Does reason have these kinds of instruments?
Old 2009-10-27, 18:06

I don't understand, u want to hit a note and have a whole riff play? Pretty much any sampler can do that.
Old 2009-10-27, 18:10

The piano refill has hypersampled piano patches, so you load up a piano patch and then play on your keyboard, it does not do the playing for you.

im not sure there are any midi files with that refill though.

Reason comes with a few loops, but nothing to build an entire song out of though
Old 2009-10-27, 18:40

Quote:
Just so I understand correctly - are you saying Reason's Pianos Refill actually plays piano music for you?
Nope!

Quote:
If not, we're comparing apples and oranges here. My understanding wa that the pianos refill is just samples - you get the sound of each note as you play them on your keyboard.
You're right!

Quote:
Do you understand what I'm saying? Virtual guitarist, for example, is not just sampled guitar notes to play back from your keyboard, its sections of guitar performances, similar to loops, that you can sequence togerther to make complete songs.

Does reason have these kinds of instruments?
There are some refills (like the Strings Refill) that contain sections being played, but not a whole composition. You can get creative though and use those samples and play your own notes with them. The only thing close to what you're saying is, using the Matrix or RPG-8 to trigger synths and therefore create arpeggios that go well with any electronic music. Even with the arpeggios you still need to draw in the notes in the sequencer. I remember a while back I used a refill(forgot which) that had guitar strums for every possible key, chords,ect. that works out fine, you just need to select the keys that pertain to your composition.

If you're looking for the program to play the instruments for you, may I ask? then where's the fun in that? For that just hire some musicians that can play some real instruments and record them into your set-up.

Last edited by ecopro; 2009-10-27 at 18:42.
Old 2009-11-27, 04:43

Working with Rex 2 files is a very easy way to get the phrases you want in your projects. There are millions out there. Remember though that you may want to change the key of the original loop to fit your song-not always that easy depending on the source material because when you lower or raise the pitch by more than a few steps, change the tempo drastically, sometimes undesired results are possible. Loops are easy to modify and give you lots of flexability when you edit them. They are fun to play with too. So be careful which loop packs you buy as not all of them will have the key range you need or want (this is very frustrating) and I have found that this information is not always very clear in some advertising and product descriptions. I have been using Reason and ProTools for about 2 years now so these are the only 2 applications I am familiar with. Reason is very easy and straightforward to learn-I have not heard that about some of the competition. If you find that it is a fit for the way you want to work, you probably won't be disappointed. Try the demo and don't forget about all the free loops out there that you can play around with first. Good luck.