Propellerhead Software
Old 2009-12-09, 22:20

Collaboration and File sharing...

I was on the music forum commenting on my latest track (using record)....

I enjoy creating, I know a lot of theory about production and I spend 4 or 5 times longer on this stage than composing/recording.... but i don't really like mixing/production and when I get to certain point and can't quite get the mix right... I give up and move on....

so I have a lot of tracks that could probably sound a lot better than they do.... I know there are a lot of people on this site you like production/remixing etc who aren't musicians....

So my thought was, create a collaboration section of the forum to connect people for co-creation, remixing, production mixing....this could include people looking for someone to contribute a guitar part, vocal, flute etc.... or create a refill or anything else..

The other side of this was a way to share Record files (which will be large)....Ableton have set up a facility to do this which looks great (although I haven't tried it)....

I know the file sharing part could be a load of hassle and there are no doubt loads of ways to do this already... but the collaboration forum could be fun......I know we can just post on the existing forums but I thought a dedicated space would be more useable...
Old 2009-12-10, 04:42

i agree it may be considered a pain to setup, but your right, it is a good idea.. it is the most logical next step for a "music/artist community". it could even be a selling point for propellerheads products if done right..
Old 2009-12-10, 10:25

Hey petegwatson, if you're having trouble mixing and mastering your tracks I would be more than happy to help out. I track, mix and master professionally for my clients, but most of them are local talent.

I would definitely like to do more mixing and mastering for artists out of the country or overseas. The funny thing is, the multimedia company I work for deals with mostly overseas clients. The work is mostly composing "score like" pieces or background music for online advertising campaigns. So I'm looking to work with more artists online mixing and mastering already recorded material.

I think the Record one file format is great for having a nice and neat way of sending a song file across the internet. Nowadays we have tools that allow us to connect and work with others on a global level, which I think is pretty awesome.

Most of my experience mixing and mastering is with Pro Tools and Logic. Since recently upgrading my Reason to Record I would really like to push the software to see what it can really handle.

So let me know if you're interested and I would be glad to help out in anyway possible.
Old 2009-12-10, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbader View Post
....So let me know if you're interested and I would be glad to help out in anyway possible.
Hi thanks for posting,

I have just checked out drop box and downloaded it on to my laptop... just going to test it out... if all goes well I'll upload my record file and post a link....

I don't know if you checked out my track on the music forum, but it is a prog rock style track with a lot of guitar.... which i know if not everyone's taste... so if you hadn't realised and would like to change your mind......

I also use Jason Mcgeer drums, reason piano... and I better check what other refills.... I might bounce all the files to audio and leave the midi files in there as well for greatest flexibility....

I'll post again once I have sort those details out....

Pete
Old 2009-12-10, 23:41

Awesome Pete, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 2009-12-12, 00:36

HI

I have uploaded two files 1gb and 250mb. The 1gb version has audio tracks of refills that you might not have as well as midi files.

1GB http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3430158/Geneside.record

250Mb http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3430158/Gene...Remixed.record

I used Reason Piano refil, Jason McGerr Drums and GPO for the strings.

feel free to do anything with it... and if it isn't working for you, feel free to give up.... However, if you do manage to produce a decent mix, I will very interested to see what you have done...

Ps this is the first time I have used dropbox... let me know if it doesn't work.

Pete
Old 2009-12-10, 13:55

absolutely !!!!!!!!!!
Old 2009-12-10, 15:55

Wink

That's a great sugestion Pete. I have always put my music to my profile so other users could see the devices, or the Mastering section hoping it might help them, or they might help me. Now that we have Record nobody will be able to disect the build.