Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2009-12-18, 22:50

Thor this and Thor that (it's not a miricle cure)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofi1990 View Post
the low pass ladder filter in thor mimics a moog filter. there are high pass filters in reason/record.

a device that serves only one purpose is a waste. thor's lfo capabilities are something that you need to look deeper into. it has a sequencer and mod matrix that is far more powerful than just a stand alone lfo could be. if it takes up too much space, fold the device.

if you take the time and read up on the devices, especially thor, you will find that most of these requests are already available.
Ok so now try this with Thor and see how far you get.

Synth -> Maximiser/compressor -> Filter -> EQ -> Chorus -> Distortion -> Reverb -> Delay -> Filter -> Compressor -> Distortion -> Reverb
(people ask me how I get such a warm sound out of reason, this is how)

Example .rps so you can see for yourself that i'm not just making this up
http://www.propellerheads.se/user/fi...lhc-lights.rps

Now modulate the delay wet/dry with an LFO
and filter cutoff with another LFO
and second filter's cutoff with another LFO
Lets also put a another mild LFO on the drive for the distortion.
Sometimes I even modulate my Eq's with an LFO.

Lets see how this looks when using Thor:
Thor -> Maximiser/compressor -> Thor -> EQ -> Thor -> Distortion -> Reverb -> Thor-> Compressor -> Distortion -> Reverb

Thor to modulate distortion
Another Thor to modulate the Eq.

And I haven't even started on splitting the audio signal.

Now how much space am I wasting using needless Thor units. Also you now have to relabel the Thor uints Filter1, Filter2, LFO1, LFO2etc etc how much extra time have I wasted. Now repeat this process for the next 12 synths in your track using different configurations. Confused yet, would it not just be easier to have a dedicated unit to handle these types of setups, one that you look at and think "I know that is an LFO and it's been auto label for me"

and oh yeah what about samplers is there a thor sampler that has 3 filters plus chorus and delay built in to it (No.) What about drum machines?

If you think Thor is the answer to all your problems then you have limited imagination and you obviously don't have projects that reach 200 modules like I do.

Don't get me wrong I think Thor is very much a benefit to the software even if the panel is a bit crowded

When I say I want things to be simple it's because my projects are so complex that they scream for a simpler solution.

Last edited by d1g1talhc; 2009-12-18 at 23:13.
Old 2009-12-19, 08:23

sometimes less is more.
Old 2009-12-19, 18:40

Quote:
Now how much space am I wasting using needless Thor units. Also you now have to relabel the Thor uints Filter1, Filter2, LFO1, LFO2etc etc how much extra time have I wasted. Now repeat this process for the next 12 synths in your track using different configurations. Confused yet, would it not just be easier to have a dedicated unit to handle these types of setups, one that you look at and think "I know that is an LFO and it's been auto label for me"
If you would prepare & combine all your setups you could save pretty much time in the future. Don't blame me but by writing a complaint like this is a real waste of time.

Combine, save your prepared "well labeled" patches & be good!

Kisses
Nicola
Old 2009-12-19, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserin View Post
If you would prepare & combine all your setups you could save pretty much time in the future. Don't blame me but by writing a complaint like this is a real waste of time.

Combine, save your prepared "well labeled" patches & be good!

Kisses
Nicola
Writing a complaint like this is not a waste of time if someone at Propellerheas reads it and an examines my style of working, giving them another perspective on how there software is used and allowing them to make more informed decisions on what to do with future updates.

But mostly I am just sick of people telling me to use work arounds that I already know about and also use some of. I want new additions to improve my workflow and make already complex configurations simpler.
Old 2009-12-19, 21:03

Example of just one of m fx patches:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2711/...bbcd6a9b_o.jpg

Last edited by d1g1talhc; 2009-12-19 at 21:07.
Old 2009-12-19, 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1g1talhc View Post

pretty standard if you ask me.
Old 2009-12-19, 23:00

Advantage of a modular concept: you can combine. Disadvantage: you have to combine...
Old 2009-12-20, 01:13

Quote:

Yes well, lets see you be able to use that many modules comfortably with VSTi's or Audio Units.
Reason is a Modular Composing environment on one level after all and why bemoan the fact that you have this sort of flexibility at all when very little else offers this sort of intermodular patching between units with such ease.
Invention is the mother of necessity and IMHO you don't invent another cog when you have one that works perfectly within the constructs of the machine itself.
It's part of what makes Prop's software so streamlined and efficient CPU wise IMHO.
This is nothing that good file and combinator management habits won't fix.
I mean that Effect is in a COMBI so you only need to reload that Combinator now every time you want that specific effect and I can't see how an LFO module would have made any difference in all reality to the actually number of modules you used for that single effect.
Old 2009-12-20, 01:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomecron View Post
Yes well, lets see you be able to use that many modules comfortably with VSTi's or Audio Units.
Reason is a Modular Composing environment on one level after all and why bemoan the fact that you have this sort of flexibility at all when very little else offers this sort of intermodular patching between units with such ease.
Invention is the mother of necessity and IMHO you don't invent another cog when you have one that works perfectly within the constructs of the machine itself.
It's part of what makes Prop's software so streamlined and efficient CPU wise IMHO.
This is nothing that good file and combinator management habits won't fix.
I mean that Effect is in a COMBI so you only need to reload that Combinator now every time you want that specific effect and I can't see how an LFO module would have made any difference in all reality to the actually number of modules you used for that single effect.
Hmmm... I don't think that's quite how the saying goes...
Old 2009-12-19, 23:52

Quote:
Writing a complaint like this is not a waste of time if someone at Propellerheas reads it and an examines my style of working, giving them another perspective on how there software is used and allowing them to make more informed decisions on what to do with future updates.

But mostly I am just sick of people telling me to use work arounds that I already know about and also use some of. I want new additions to improve my workflow and make already complex configurations simpler.
Do as you wish. Be lazy, don't prepare patches for your future projects & keep killing your fun.

Keep producing your 1000 complaints instead recording your music. It's your time & it's your waste & probaly it was my waste for trying to help.

I've learnt a lesson. Thank you.

Kisses
Nicola