Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2009-12-23, 06:46

Smile The Power of a Musician w/ the Internet -

Not to start a thread per se, but more on a light-hearted note to share something with fellow musicians, especially our forum member guitarists:
True Story -

NOTHING SO POWERFUL AS MUSIC, THREE CHORDS AND THE TRUTH:
A musician named Dave Carroll recently had difficulty with United Airlines. United’s baggage handlers apparently damaged his treasured Taylor guitar ($3500) during a flight. Dave spent over nine months trying to get United to pay for damages to his custom Taylor guitar. In his final exchange with the United Customer Relations Manager, he stated that he was left with no choice other than to create a music video for YouTube exposing their lack of cooperation. The Manager responded: "Good luck with that one, pal".

So, he posted a retaliatory video on YouTube. The video has since received over six million hits. United Airlines contacted the musician and attempted settlement in exchange for pulling the video. Naturally his response was: "Good luck with that one, pal".

Taylor Guitars sent Dave two new custom guitars in appreciation for the product recognition from the video that has led to a sharp increase in orders.
Here's the video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo&NR=1
Old 2009-12-23, 10:12

hahahahaha nice funny stuff
Old 2009-12-23, 15:20

I am real attached to my guitars. This is an awesome story.
Old 2009-12-23, 18:45

Awesome song - power of the internet indeed!

After many bad experiences flying gear (for work related trips), I have opted to drive my car for every single trip but two in the last 10 years. One of those trips went just fine, one lost my luggage for over 24 hours - and this was when they just started the ban on liquids so I had practically NOTHING in my carry on. Luckily, on both of those trips I wasn't carrying gear with me because it was being rented at the destination.

Going up to Canada is even worse because of US customs (nothing personal against Canada). You carefully pack a big flight case with all your stuff and the first thing that happens (even before it leaves the ground) is that it is "inspected". What this really means is that it is unpacked and then repacked poorly. This seems to be the cause of much of the problems I (and my travel mates) have experienced.

Driving has a few disadvantages, but MANY advantages for me. Turns out I really like to drive long trips! I can leave or return when my schedule demands it (more than once I've been asked to come a little early or stay late to pick up extra sessions). PLUS I've got my own car at my destination, I can bring fragile percussion instruments and tech gear that doesn't have proper cases, I can bring much MORE gear and instruments (without extra fees), and I don't have to spend a single minute in an airport.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE airplanes and the "concept" of flying, and would actually jump at the chance to learn to fly one day (flight sims only go so far!).

Related story: this airline "pass the buck" game is nothing new. In 1986 Neil Young came to the studio I worked at (Castle Recording, staff engineer) and his flight cases arrived a few days early. The big one with acoustic guitars had an obvious fork lift hole you could put your fist through, and the metal edging was cleanly cut in two in a few places. Miraculously, it missed doing any damage to the guitars by inches.

The gear was flown to Atlanta and trucked to Nashville. The airline blamed the truckers, the truckers blamed the airline - never was resolved, at least not while they were in the studio (which was almost a full month).
Old 2009-12-23, 19:56

Brilliant. It just shows that times are changing. the internet is a great place for a grass roots revolution to begin, but can we do it after Christmas, I'm kinda busy.
Old 2009-12-23, 21:05

Haha great song!

Awesoeme story too!
Old 2009-12-23, 18:41

Great post! that was awesome!
Old 2009-12-23, 21:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarktw View Post
United Airlines contacted the musician and attempted settlement in exchange for pulling the video. Naturally his response was: "Good luck with that one, pal".
Too bad you only get good airline service after you expose really bad service. At least he didn't have to spend 11 hours on a runway like those poor JetBlue customers last winter. I remember JetBlues, now former, CEO the next day saying they did nothing wrong. Must be nice to live without a conscience...
Old 2009-12-23, 22:50

Smile

I'm glad that everyone is enjoying this story and musical narrative. Ohmygoff posted that the story continues with other videos, and I wanted to make sure that you might have checked out this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_X-Q...eature=channel

It's the guitarist giving a 1:15 length thanks ".. to the world.." and talks about United Airlines. He strikes me as a good example of and representative for what great individuals that all of us musicians are!
Old 2009-12-24, 11:19

I love stories like this!