Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2010-01-20, 16:31

Route audio from "Ableton Live" to "Record" via reWire

Hello everyone,

(Be sure that, before I post this question I searched everywhere on the internet and on this official forum too.)

The concept:
  • Using "Ableton Live (8)" in master mode, "Reason Record" in slave mode.
  • Sending audio from Ableton Live into "Reason Record" via rewire.
  • Everythings should be in realtime (don't suggest to import/export etc. please)
(I don't talk about sending MIDI notes to reason and receiving audio from reason/record this is not a problem and also answered everywhere on the internet)

When I tried the do this config; "Record" says me that all audio inputs using by master application and I should use "rewire mixer" but in Ableton Live there is just send MIDI to.. (not the audio) .

I'd like to know ;
  • Is it "Reason Record Demo" limitation.?
  • Is it a missing functionality of "Reason Record"?
  • Is it a missing functionality of "Ableton Live"?
  • Am I dumb ? :-)
Thanks for all answers!

Last edited by trevorsonic; 2010-01-20 at 16:37. Reason: correction
Old 2010-01-20, 16:42

Not to sure but I figured out how to rewire to AA2 from youtube...
Old 2010-01-20, 22:11

I think this is a limitation of the ReWire protocol. It doesn't support receiving audio from the host
Old 2010-01-20, 23:35

Hi,

When Reason or Record are in rewire mode all the audio is routed to the host, in your case Ableton. So as you have probably down you can an audio channel in Abelton that players and reason.record device or an audio channel from record and you can use Ableton effects/processing on any of your audio coming in.

Under rewire it is not possible to send audio from Ableton back to Reason to Record.

However, you if you are in rewire mode (open Record before Ableton), you can route your audio output to a soundcard that is not your master output and then in Record on your input channel you can select the input from that soundcard.

For example on a Mac you could download Soundlflower, create and aggregate device combining soundflower with your audio interface, set Record audio preferences to your aggregate device and then route audio from ableton or any other music programme into record to record its input.

There are quite a few threads that cover how to do the routing on PC's.

I hope that helps.
Old 2010-01-21, 18:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegwatson View Post
For example on a Mac you could download Soundlflower, create and aggregate device combining soundflower with your audio interface, set Record audio preferences to your aggregate device and then route audio from ableton or any other music programme into record to record its input.
First of all I thank you for your long explication!
As I'm a Mac user I'll give a try to "Soundlflower" may be it can open some doors. Lunching the record before Ableton gives some possibilities but I need some syncronisation.
My aim(imagination) is to run my live project (as a used to do) , to use some instruments via ReWire on Reason/Record
And plus I use record/reason effect for my vocal and guitar via reWire (you said technically impossible)

In fact If I could run 2 instance of reason/record at the same time; First is rewired to ableton, 2nd is independent for my guitar and vocal could be nice. Couldn't be?

Anyway I'm felt in love with way of "Record's sound processing" I have to find a solution for my set.

Maybe I should write this issue on Ableton Forum too. Cause It's Ableton who don't give the possibility to pass the audio-in to another device hm?

Greets from Bruxelles
Thanks a lot
Old 2010-01-21, 01:02

You can't do it via ReWire but you can do it with a bit of fiddling with Jack or Soundflower:
http://www.re-wiki.com/record/record...d-soundflower/
Old 2010-01-21, 18:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dioxide View Post
You can't do it via ReWire but you can do it with a bit of fiddling with Jack or Soundflower:
http://www.re-wiki.com/record/record...d-soundflower/
Thanks for the post Dioxide I'll try it!
Cheers