Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2010-01-25, 08:44

White Rabbit Cover Rmx by Ecopro & Jas

My daughter Jas, Loves this song! so we decided to make a cover remix. Remixed & recorded in Record, and all vocals by Jas.

This is a Cover Rmx of the 1972 "Jefferson Airplane's" Original "White Rabbit"

I hope it gives the original some justice!

Let me know what you guys think!

Thank you,

Ed

http://gemmusic.bandcamp.com/track/g...-featuring-jas
Old 2010-01-25, 10:08

hi ecopro
man jas has an amazing voice and really gets behind some of the original phrasing of Grace Slick. i was reminded of the film Fear+Loathing in Las Vegas (r.i.p Hunter S. Thompson, the last of the beat poets) when the mad samoan lawyer asks dr. gonzo to throw the tape recorder in the bath (he's in it!) when the song peaks, an absoloot classic.
musically i wasn't sure at 1st, it seemed very rigid and could loosen up a little imo, saying that, its certainly not an easy one to cover, the drums are difficult to get "flowing" so i think you've done a good job.
amazing vocals on this, really good stuff.
regards
danni
Old 2010-01-25, 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by danni View Post
hi ecopro
man jas has an amazing voice and really gets behind some of the original phrasing of Grace Slick.
musically i wasn't sure at 1st, it seemed very rigid and could loosen up a little imo, saying that, its certainly not an easy one to cover, the drums are difficult to get "flowing" so i think you've done a good job.
amazing vocals on this, really good stuff.
regards
danni
Thanks for the compliment on Jas's voice, she is really getting there. I feel very proud of her!
As for the movie reference, I will have to check it out, I never got around to watching it.

Yes the drums are a bit rigid, I think the stiffness comes from the military style snares. I have to play with the Regroove function in Record to get it flowing right. The main reason I went with this song, was to get my daughter to feel a bit more confident behind the Mic, and to learn a bit more on the vocal recording process with Record.

I've actually enjoyed making this one and I've grown very fond of the song. This would be my 1st cover, and there's a lot to learn from making them. The whole process has been very educative as I keep honing the Production skills bit by bit.

Thank you Danni for some great feedback!

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftEnerji View Post
Dude, this is so cool. A classic song and you and Jas have done it proud. Her voice is sounding great, very mature and really sits well with the vocal. Top stuff mate! Congrats to you both!
Thanx a million SoftEnerji! My daughter will love the compliments! ...and I do too!

Ed
Old 2010-01-25, 16:21

hey
seriously the vocals man are spot on, the way she phrases is not easy and highly respected.... and also in respect of the overall song structure ; its a tough nut too crack is a cover of this magnitude, so my comments are purely from someone who really loves the original, not from a reason/record programming point of view, which i wouldn't have the 1st idea on how to "cover " a tune and is skill in its self. so well done. i thought after i had written 1st post that maybe it would be an idea maybe to strip it back to the vocal, replacing trad band support and turn it into a different piece all together? strings/cellos and such like would suit her voice very well.
top notch
regards
danni
Old 2010-01-25, 17:58

Ecopro - In previous posts you've talked about wanting to encourage Jas to pursue her talents. Man, you are on the right path! I agree with all comments above - she sounds really good, good vibrato to her voice and knowing when to use it, etc. Now, I'd love to hear her version of Grace's "Somebody to Love"! Technically, your output level shows as optimum on my soundcard meters. The bass volume could reduce, a bit more reverb/effect on her voice could broaden it, some reverb on the snare, and I agree with danni about the strings - I really like the synth' starting at the 2:48 mark. I think it may be an interesting combination with her voice in parts. Kudos to you both!
Old 2010-01-25, 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by danni View Post
hey
seriously the vocals man are spot on, the way she phrases is not easy and highly respected....
i thought after i had written 1st post that maybe it would be an idea maybe to strip it back to the vocal, replacing trad band support and turn it into a different piece all together? strings/cellos and such like would suit her voice very well.
top notch
regards
danni
Thanks again Danni! Jas is sure gonna be full of confidence for her next song. She is working on an original song now.

Now about retracking the song to fit her vocals more, I have no one as of now to play some real drums for me, but maybe in the future, or I'll probably redo the drums. The idea for Strings/cellos, I agree with completely. Yes they would go lovely with her voice.

I appreciate your input Danni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarktw View Post
Ecopro - In previous posts you've talked about wanting to encourage Jas to pursue her talents. Man, you are on the right path! I agree with all comments above - she sounds really good, good vibrato to her voice and knowing when to use it, etc
Thank you clark, as always your feedback is very useful! Jas will have a blast reading you guys' comments.

Thanks for the tips on the production side of things. Sometimes is hard to get the right sound out of everything, specially because I mix mostly at night and don't want to disturb anybody. But for the most part, I'm happy that you guys are praising my daughter's voice! Thank you much, this will mean a lot to her.

Ed
Old 2010-01-25, 19:01

Wink

Great job! You two make a good team!
Old 2010-01-25, 19:17

Ed - if you don't mind me asking, but how old is your daughter? There is a maturity that is present in her singing style and at the same time, there is a wonderful pureness to her tone that speaks to youth. She is quite exceptional and you should be proud! BTW, your talent and abilities are why she is who she is, even if you feel otherwise. I must admit I am a big fan of this song and always have been. It's nice to hear it done again as it reminds me of soooo very much.

You know, I think you have done a very good job getting the backing to sound like the original - a "cover song" as you say. I know that you could make this ever more unique, however, if you would take the schematic of the original and then totally go your own direction with it. Change chords, change meters and such - make it yours. I think then you and your daughter would have a product to market in a big way. Perhaps it could be a starting point for a career for Jas. I am awed by her ease with the mike (something my daughters never felt good about).

Don't get me wrong, this is very good as is. I am just thinking paternally as I know you are.

The best to both of you,

KIBEJA

CD "Harvest Song" available at : CD Baby - iTunes
Old 2010-01-25, 10:09

Cool

Dude, this is so cool. A classic song and you and Jas have done it proud. Her voice is sounding great, very mature and really sits well with the vocal. Top stuff mate! Congrats to you both!
Old 2010-02-02, 02:16

Oooh I rather like it!

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.