Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2010-02-16, 07:15

buzzing feedback when trying to record in record

I'm probably blanking on something obvious. Any help appreciated.

Every time I create a new audio track in Record, I get horrible buzzing feedback. I'm fairly sure this is a routing problem, but not sure what the proper set up would be to be able to both monitor input and avoid the feedback. I can kill the feedback by turning off "Enable Monitoring for Track", but I'd like to actually be able to monitor the track.

I can also completely kill the feedback by turning down the left input of the stereo pair coming out of the computer, but not by turning down the right.

Yes, I realize I'm very likely retarded.

I'm using Record on a PC with an M-Audio Delta 2496 soundcard. I'm running that out analog to an outboard mixer which also outputs to my powered monitors.

Any suggestions for a newbie?
Old 2010-02-16, 11:48

buzzing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcamden View Post
I'm probably blanking on something obvious. Any help appreciated.

Every time I create a new audio track in Record, I get horrible buzzing feedback. I'm fairly sure this is a routing problem, but not sure what the proper set up would be to be able to both monitor input and avoid the feedback. I can kill the feedback by turning off "Enable Monitoring for Track", but I'd like to actually be able to monitor the track.

I can also completely kill the feedback by turning down the left input of the stereo pair coming out of the computer, but not by turning down the right.

Yes, I realize I'm very likely retarded.

I'm using Record on a PC with an M-Audio Delta 2496 soundcard. I'm running that out analog to an outboard mixer which also outputs to my powered monitors.

Any suggestions for a newbie?
Nope you are not retarted,what it could be is the socket on your mike could be grubby,or the socket sligtly loose ,or the mike could be at fault?
Check all your connections,power supply to speakers and mixer

Or it could be some grounding issues with your power supply,I am not an expert on this.Maybe contacting Props tech guys for advice.

Or check your audio card drivers for updates that may help

Sorry I can't suggest anything else at this time,but maybe someone else in the members forum can see your thread and help further.
Good luck
Old 2010-02-16, 12:07

hi
my 1st initial thought was grounding or a problem within the mixer. i also thought of maybe the mixer has phantom power and thats on by mistake? there could be loads of posts on this but it really sounds like you have to start at the root and work your way back/forward to the problem.
grounding is such an issue sometimes ie; what cables are you using to connect your actives? if its xlr/trs and its balanced you shouldn't really get the problem from that direction (shout me down if i'm wrong, i'm no "expert") but then again it maybe that the problem lies in the speaker itself. if its defo feedback then as we all know feedback is a loop so go round the loop and detective work should pay off. when someone plugs something in to my audio interface i sometimes have to lift the ground in order to get the best signal....but you say feedback, so i'm not being funny when i suggest that you might wanna check that you haven't plugged something in as a mic when it really should be a speaker ie; creating a loop for feedback to exist.
like i say i'm no expert so please i may have just written a load of rubbish!!
hope ya get it sorted
regards
danni
Old 2010-02-16, 12:11

totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by danni View Post
hi
my 1st initial thought was grounding or a problem within the mixer. i also thought of maybe the mixer has phantom power and thats on by mistake? there could be loads of posts on this but it really sounds like you have to start at the root and work your way back/forward to the problem.
grounding is such an issue sometimes ie; what cables are you using to connect your actives? if its xlr/trs and its balanced you shouldn't really get the problem from that direction (shout me down if i'm wrong, i'm no "expert") but then again it maybe that the problem lies in the speaker itself. if its defo feedback then as we all know feedback is a loop so go round the loop and detective work should pay off. when someone plugs something in to my audio interface i sometimes have to lift the ground in order to get the best signal....but you say feedback, so i'm not being funny when i suggest that you might wanna check that you haven't plugged something in as a mic when it really should be a speaker ie; creating a loop for feedback to exist.
like i say i'm no expert so please i may have just written a load of rubbish!!
hope ya get it sorted
regards
danni
Totally agree Danni when the buzzing was mentioned,I know bit about voltage supplies causing problems to feeback on audio .I have a UPS with a supressor kind of rectifcation so it smooths out the voltage spikes.
Although it could have been a bee or wasp nest in there somewhere,something I an very familiar as a previous gardener,owch,!!
Old 2010-02-16, 13:17

Hello, I had the same problem when I was first using Record to record my guitar, then I realised that I had my USB soundcard "monitor sound" option set to on. I turned it off and everything worked fine, could be that?
Old 2010-02-16, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafty View Post
Hello, I had the same problem when I was first using Record to record my guitar, then I realised that I had my USB soundcard "monitor sound" option set to on. I turned it off and everything worked fine, could be that?
that sounds like a very likely culprit. check also that your inbuilt microphone is disabled on pc if ya have one.
Old 2010-02-16, 17:08

Thanks everybody!

I think I fixed my problem by simply choosing external monitoring in Record. Thanks to everybody for your advice and encouragement. It helped me recognize my feedback loop and learn how to avoid it (I hope).

Of course, if I had read all the documentation before diving in, I would have caught the suggestion to do just what I did. Ahh, yes, retarded due to impatience...

Thanks again!
Old 2010-02-17, 12:11

excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcamden View Post
I think I fixed my problem by simply choosing external monitoring in Record. Thanks to everybody for your advice and encouragement. It helped me recognize my feedback loop and learn how to avoid it (I hope).

Of course, if I had read all the documentation before diving in, I would have caught the suggestion to do just what I did. Ahh, yes, retarded due to impatience...

Thanks again!
Happy days all round then,pleased you got it sorted out!!