Propellerhead Software
Old 2010-03-17, 12:03

Post Fairlight CMI Refill

Since November 2009, I have been working on a ReFill where we have carefully sampled each of the Fairlight's 33 factory disks and added things we thought would sound cool and interesting. This is now released as Fairlight CMI Legacy.

We sampled a real Fairlight CMI IIx in mint condition, using no filters. We have also sampled DX7s, JX8Ps, LinnDrums and some other interesting & rare instruments to make the library feel complete. A wash of the 80s right inside Reason.

The refill has been updated continuously and work still goes on. It is now provided in three different versions; one for R4, one for R5 and one for R6. All details on my site.

http://bitley.laconicsounds.net/refills/fairlight/

Have a nice day!
Patrick Fridh Aka Bitley™
Sweden

Demo track: "Lingon", made in January 2012, using the Fairlight Platinum ReFill.

Loading SoundCloud…

Last edited by bitleyTM; 2012-02-03 at 04:59. Reason: updated location
Old 2010-03-17, 14:18

Great! I was always looking for something like that!
Old 2010-03-17, 15:31

«If you ever dreamed of having the same sounds Art Of Noise had, now you do.»

...now, I'll just have to wait until my Right Brain can convince my Left Brain that I really really really need this and that it justifies the $69 price tag... oh wait, $69? that's about 51€! Let me hurry and help my Right Brain!!!

EDIT: oops, there's an EUR option below, darn it! 50€ ...who cares about the left brain!!!

EDIT2: Done! Bought it! I've been wanting this for a long time ...now, to download the thing...

Last edited by Koshdukai; 2010-03-17 at 15:58.
Old 2010-03-17, 17:12

That was my 1st reaction, but then I thought "these aren't really just raw samples but ready to use NN-XT and Combinator patches (I think/hope!).

Quote:
644 Megabyte of samples
2000 sounds in all
all of the Fairlight's 33 precious 8 inch factory discs
This and the demos made me think that $69 is indeed a fair price, given the amount of work and care* put in the ReFill.

* at least that's what it transpires from the description and also from the demo sounds and demo track.

Quote:
you also get fresh Combinator patches in order for the library to really have a 2010 feel to it. The sound quality is mixed from 8 bit ultra rare up to full dynamics using clever programming, re-sampling and new inventions on sample playback made possible only in Reason's NNXT sampler.
...and the unexpected extra LinnDrum, Sequential Tom, JX8P and DX7 sounds...

That's good enough for me

(now... if only PowerFX would hurry up and check the PayPal mail...)
Old 2010-03-17, 17:23

Swell! It's like giving birth to some... thing... when finally releasing it. Glad you liked the remix! I have released some free refills over the years too, including my D-50 Refill and the more recent Classix Noveaux Les Synthesis. It's really amazing to get all sounds into Reason, so flexible.
Old 2010-03-17, 17:36

Yes I know, I've seen the older "Patrick Fridh's D-50 Refill: anyone still want this?" post recently, so I checked to see if I had it already in my Free ReFill library and there it was, together with the "Classix Noveaux Les Synthesis" taken from the "That dreadful Sample Start..." post.

...so, all in all, already having these two free ones plus the new Fairlight CMI ReFill (still waiting for the dl link, btw) makes that $69 price more than a fair deal, IMHO.
Old 2010-03-17, 16:57

Thank You! I think we'll hear more Fairlight again! I look forward to it!

Groundhog; pricing is always hard, an enormous amount of work on this one. First the sampling, then the editing. Still, a CDrom for the old samplers, in the old days, during the 90s, could cost about $250 up to $650. A JV expansion card cost $350 and had 8 Mb's of samples. But I see the point. I'll diversify!

Edit!

Diversification is now done!

Check this out: http://bitley.laconicsounds.net/delight.html

Last edited by bitleyTM; 2011-10-07 at 06:57.
Old 2010-03-17, 16:59

Also congratz on the "I May Be A Robot" remix. It's so Art of Noiseish the it warmed my soul for 8mins and 41secs

PS: heck, it's still in "Waiting for payment" mode -.-'
oh well...
Old 2010-03-17, 23:42

Been playing with it and WOW!

One question though, wasn't the "All Perc Hit.sxt" patch supposed to be Chromatically devided per note instead of all notes playing all samples ?

Also, the preset Volume of Thor's patch "Sound Pretty Nice" is too low, isn't it?

(I just tried every NN-XT patch, now I'm checking the unexpected synth patches )

Thor's "Bright Edit Poly", Filter 3's Drive is at 0, so no sound comes out.

Last edited by Koshdukai; 2010-03-18 at 01:04.
Old 2010-03-18, 11:29

LOL, dude, get some sleep!

Yeah, I rarely use patches as they are. Heck, that's the whole Reason for using Synths, right?

Anyway, about those patches I mentioned. I know how hard it is to find every tiny bug on a project, so I thought, since I caught those while browsing the ReFill, I wouldn't be right with my conscience if I kept the fixes to myself.

Although the question about the "All Perc Hit.sxt" was really a question. I've never used a Fairlight CMI (duh!) so it's hard to know what to expect from some of the ReFill Presets right? ...so I had to ask.

...along the lines of that question, I just have to make another one (sorry ): I see a lot of NN-XT patches using the "random/cyclical hard pan stereo ping-pong" effect. Is this simulating the stereo behavior of those presets when played on a Fairlight CMI ?