Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2010-04-02, 18:54

Smile Hello electronic dance music producers!

Hi all

I myself own full non virez version of Reason 4, and Fruity Loops 8 ...

Back when i was a kid parents pushed me to go to music school and studied piano AND string based instruments...

I gave up on it after 2 - 3 years... what a shame i didnt go to school to study electric guitars!!! That woulda been ace!

Anyway, the thing that brought me to music production stage is a story of it own: in the late 90s early 2000 there was a nightclub in UK called Gatecrasher, which revolutionised trance music... that is when i fell in love with electronic dance music....

Things havent been going my way between 2004 - 2008 and i tried lots of things.... and now have very poor health and a BA degree which i dont want to associeate with ...

However my love for dance music not only didnt vane it grew!!!

2005 we saw birth of a new dance music style which i coined as "Electro".

It originated in Amsterdam in 2004 - 2005 and has nothing to do with old 80s bands like kraftek or crack tek whatever...

So, in 2008 i bought Reason 4 and a keyboard... i was somewhat busy and tired and confused last 2 years.. last month i bought a PROPER sound system (i already had 1 in 2000 - 2003 - i had a NAD 370 120 W amp, B%W 603 s150W speakers, BANGING system, i sold it in 2003 so i could go backpacking in australia) this new sound set up i have is 2 cutting edge speakers, new improved 80 w NAD amp... and.. a very cool very powerful 150W dedicated subwoofer.

I did a test of my music collection few weeks ago and what i discovered is that HALF of dance music in my collection - lacks bass harmony!! The bass , when heard with a proper set up, is either weak/ out of phase and generally non harmonic!!

So with this subwoofer i will be able to program proper bass and sub bass synthesisers...

I read 3 dance music production books...

I read Reason manual and few questions started popping up in my mind...

1. reason doesnt seem to have proper sound editor so i use a free ware one which aint THAT good.

2. there seems to be major lack of classic sounding electric guitars in there - i have checked most patches and synths and not one produces proper guitar sounbd , like say - Slayer synth in Fruity Loops... whats up with that?

I hear theres a guitar pack for sale in there which i want to check out...

Also i have a small 2 octave oxygen 8 keyboard which i want to upgrade to bigger brother - 61 key oxygen

And i still havent seen any proper poly dance athem sounding patches/syntehsisers in reason yet... like the old school "access virus C" synth

I also work from a laptop, with big midi latency and considering buying a proper PC

Also , is it worth upgrating to Cubase 5 at this moment and have fun with it and with reason?

Anywa, being a dance music producer and DJ is great.
Not only i am passionate about dance music, i know a lot about clubs and people who go there and what kind of music gets people going on the dance floor.

And as another advantage , you can work anywhere in the world, u dont need working visa, u dont need permits... all u do is sent out CDs in the mail and withdraw cash from the atm.

Anyway, thanks for taking time to read it, i would love to hear some feedback/tips

Also i would like to know, what is the best software suite and plug ins for producing dance music?

Last edited by Jalruza; 2010-04-02 at 19:12.
Old 2010-04-02, 20:11

Well... i just went thro all insyrument and all types of patches and theres alike maybe 1 - 2 patches that sound remotely like a proper electric guitar: best being "HEAVYGTR"

While i hear people bash Fruity Loops saying its for Japanese girls it actually comes with a preoper electric guitar synth with almost a 100 of presets!!!

Last edited by Jalruza; 2010-04-02 at 20:24.
Old 2010-04-03, 10:18

"all u do is sent out CDs in the mail and withdraw cash from the atm."

Sounds wicked that does.
Old 2010-04-03, 11:12

Smile

Hi Jalruza,

If we're talking about the same "Electro", then the modern version didn't originate in Amsterdam, but Paris. We could be talking about different things but I would regard electro as Miss Kitten etc, who came to prominence around 2000.

You might be thinking of fidget, which came about around 2003 or so, but that was chiefly originated in London, by Switch, Jessie Rose and all on the Dubsided and Counterfeet labels.

Anyways, guitars.......

Guitars are never going to be easy to synthesize or even sample all that well because of the differences in playing styles and phrasing etc. The best way to get guitar sounds into software is playing a guitar in and hitting record. Another good tactic though for getting a really good tone is to use a good Fender Rhodes MKII patch, and roughing it up a bit with distortion, and if you use record then the wah pedal on the Line6 guitar amp can do wonders, however using these methods or anything else is pretty much always going to sound like a keyboard player playing a guitar. You can program pitch bends in too to try and make it sound more realistic, but you're never going to beat recording a real guitar.

Hope this helps
B
Old 2010-04-03, 13:12

"Guitars are never going to be easy to synthesize or even sample all that well because of the differences in playing styles and phrasing etc. "

well... fruity loops "FL Slayer" seems to be more than capable of producing quality electric guitar sounds
Old 2010-04-03, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalruza View Post
"Guitars are never going to be easy to synthesize or even sample all that well because of the differences in playing styles and phrasing etc. "

well... fruity loops "FL Slayer" seems to be more than capable of producing quality electric guitar sounds
Slayer uses it too?

"Some questions simply do not deserve an answer." - Richard Dawkins

https://soundcloud.com/dutch-bastard

omfg one million megahurz CPU
Old 2010-04-04, 22:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalruza View Post
Well... i just went thro all insyrument and all types of patches and theres alike maybe 1 - 2 patches that sound remotely like a proper electric guitar: best being "HEAVYGTR"

While i hear people bash Fruity Loops saying its for Japanese girls it actually comes with a preoper electric guitar synth with almost a 100 of presets!!!
everything you hear is record only. No need for some second rate guitar amp simulation. You already own Reason, Record is your cheapest bet to get the sound you lust after.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe7Iapsu_38