Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2010-06-02, 22:29

Separate .record file from audio files

I enjoy the bundling of all audio files in the .record file, but find myself never making backups if I want to make an alternative mix, so there's no going back. In other DAWs I can save multiple mixes all sharing the same audio files and each project file is only 1 meg or 2, rather than 100's of megs.

I think it should be similar to Acid where you can embed the files in one project file (actually a zip) or keep them outside. Or like Live where they're in a project subdirectory very nicely named and marked with its own icon.

Not being able to name markers or regions is killing me, but Blocks should cure that fever!

Love Record!!

Jack
Old 2010-06-03, 01:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfreud View Post
I enjoy the bundling of all audio files in the .record file, but find myself never making backups if I want to make an alternative mix, so there's no going back. In other DAWs I can save multiple mixes all sharing the same audio files and each project file is only 1 meg or 2, rather than 100's of megs.

I think it should be similar to Acid where you can embed the files in one project file (actually a zip) or keep them outside. Or like Live where they're in a project subdirectory very nicely named and marked with its own icon.

Not being able to name markers or regions is killing me, but Blocks should cure that fever!

Love Record!!

Jack
How about THIS solution: (from another similar thread)

If Record insists on staying with the "one master file" concept, they could still implement a "version" concept by storing the versions in the single song file along with all the audio files. When you open a project with multiple versions saved, a dialog comes up asking you to choose which one to open. Or simpler still, a project always opens with the latest version 'active', but you can also quickly load (and copy any/all elements from) previous versions.