Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2010-06-25, 17:12

Should you secure studio monitors to their stand?

I bought a pair of studio monitor stands the other day, when I told the clerk that there were screw holes on the bottom of my monitors for securing them to the stands, he looked at me like i was crazy and said you don't need to bolt them down or anything. What do you say people? Was this guy just trying to make a sale, or do people generally not worry about bolting down their monitors if they have some sturdy stands?
Old 2010-06-25, 17:25

Ooo.. Voodoo and snake oil territory!
Some folk claim decoupling monitors by sitting them on blocks of over priced foam is best. Others believe nailing the things down as firmly as possble is better.

I just put mine on some of that non slip rubber matting. Just to help them stop making my desk resonate, and so that they don't gradually march of the desk when listening levels are getting enthusiastic. The same stuff would probably help keep them on your stands too. People also use Blu tak for the same reasons.. I don't think you need to screw them down..
Old 2010-06-25, 17:40

Cool thanks, good to hear from someone else that's dealt with this. I was using a few pieces of thick not so expensive foam on my desk before I got the stands. I think I'll take your route with the rubber matting instead of bolting them down.
Old 2010-06-25, 17:48

what monitors? They may be for attaching them to different wall mounts.
Old 2010-06-25, 18:26

this is my speaker setup
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...38&CTID=560744
Old 2010-06-25, 19:01

I use this for my Dynaudio Bm12A

http://www.primacoustic.com/isopad.htm

works like a charm without securing it
Old 2010-06-25, 20:32

msKeng, dreampolice, those pads look cool, but these are the monitor stands i'm working with...

http://www.soundexchange2.com/browse...er-Stands.html

not much surface to area to work with :P maybe I'll grab a mopad for my woofer or something,
save the people downstairs from future headaches
Old 2010-06-25, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywerk View Post
but these are the monitor stands i'm working with...

http://www.soundexchange2.com/browse...er-Stands.html
Looking at the stands, using the screw holes might not be a bad idea if you don't want to buy new speakers soon. Especially if they are not placed near a wall or in a corner, but somewhere where anyone passing by could cause the speakers to fall down.
Old 2010-06-25, 20:57

Yeah I've got them in corners right now, but a good knock and they'd be on the floor for sure. I'll probably figure out a way to secure them a little better when I get home, or just wrap them in bubble tape and hope for the best.
Old 2010-06-25, 21:38

Hi

i would bolt them..no question...
but...
if you bolt them on or not aint gonna make a damn bit of difference unless the stands are isolated from what they are standing on imho.
The only thing left to do in that situation is to spike the speaker stands at the base thus eliminating vibration from sonics.

I've set up countless home cinema stands in the past and i swear by losing a bit of carpet to some spikes will improve the fight against reverberation....now are you prepared to give the down tubes concrete inserts as well ?? well i have found that common sharp sand is very good and cheap as long as its fairly dryer than standard.

hth

danni