Propellerhead Software
Old 2010-08-03, 22:12

Exclamation Better file browser...

I would want a better file browser where you not only can load the songs or sound or whatever but you can delete, copy, paste, move from folder to folder etc and all things you can do in a traditional filebrowser...
Old 2010-08-03, 22:30

Amen, brother! The file browser is, without a doubt, the weakest point in Propellerhead products (IMO).

+1
"The Artist's Secret is that all art comes from abnormal brains. So if you create art that satisfies your own tastes, you have created for a market of exactly one abnormal person. If you're lucky, a handful of other freaks get some joy from your creations too. But it won't be enough to pay your bills. It's not a career until you learn to create products that normal people like."

http://soundcloud.com/braveness23
http://soundcloud.com/braveness23/sets/the-warlord-ep
http://soundcloud.com/braveness23/sets/a-new-ozone-hole
Old 2010-08-04, 00:46

Smile

When I consider the possible improvements that could be made to the browser I think of tag based browsing first, and then after that I wouldn't change much else, other than maybe some efficiency changes to make it faster.

The thing about changing folder etc with most of the stuff is that if it is in a Refill or the FSB etc, then you can't move anything because the file format is read only so it's just not possible. You could of course alter the way Refill's work, but that won't make any difference to older files.

For normal file handling outside of Refills it's certainly a good enough suggestion, but I wonder about how much use it would get, and thus how much customer satisfaction.

What other changes would you like to see in this regard, because some may be easier to implement than others.

B
Old 2010-08-04, 01:48

The browser is extremely outdated compared to the competition (Live, Kore, Omnisphere etc.)
The search function is also extremely slow.
Old 2010-08-04, 03:06

I'm TOTALLY agree with you guys!!!
There's is 2 big problem in reason/record:

-No midi out (everyone knows...)!!! i pray for record 2.0 have it

-The favourites system in the file browser is VERY usefull to make our own database....but, the engine of the file browser is toooooooo slow even if we have a big computer!!
With some folder with a lot a files, i must to wait for about 2 real min! it's fuck my inspiration.
In the first time i think all the folder we add in the favouriste must be indexing like all the browsers of the OS (mac osx, windows 7). we are in 2010 not 1995, come on!!!
Old 2010-08-04, 05:18

What we really need a setup like Logic 9. All files should be tagged with metadata and available in a pane within the main window NOT another dialogue box! The tool windows should do the same. And it would be way better to have a single channel strip displayed (the active one) along the far left or right so most of that single strip can be viewed (height wise).

Please Props!!!

One more thing: we really need a midi file player as part of the browser function. I really don't like having to actually load the file to a track and then route it.
Old 2010-08-04, 16:55

I agree. I like that it looks the same on all platforms, but I don't like that I hate it
Old 2010-08-04, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattias800 View Post
I agree. I like that it looks the same on all platforms, but I don't like that I hate it
I love the fact that the main windows and instruments look and operate identical on all platforms but it does absolutely nothing for me that the file browser is identical. The only thing it seems to accomplish is the make the documentation clearer.

The Propellerheads have demonstrated that they are the bosses when it comes to designing musical software and workflow. If they can't do the same with a file browser and search functionality they should yield to those who are - the OS manufacturer. It wouldn't be a drawback to the product, it would be an asset.
"The Artist's Secret is that all art comes from abnormal brains. So if you create art that satisfies your own tastes, you have created for a market of exactly one abnormal person. If you're lucky, a handful of other freaks get some joy from your creations too. But it won't be enough to pay your bills. It's not a career until you learn to create products that normal people like."

http://soundcloud.com/braveness23
http://soundcloud.com/braveness23/sets/the-warlord-ep
http://soundcloud.com/braveness23/sets/a-new-ozone-hole
Old 2013-04-03, 11:57

would want a better file browser, too!

and i want it NOW !!
Old 2013-04-03, 19:01

Would love to able to assign tags and other metainformation to samples and patches and being able to search for them in the browser: show me all files with "Bass", "90bpm" and the mood "Dark". And that quick and fast...