Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2010-08-29, 09:32

Post Propellerheads Please Lose the Ignition key for Record!

Lets start a Movement here guys!

Straight up I am gonna start by saying that the ignition key is a really, really bad idea.

This is THE BIGGEST REASON I DONT USE PRO TOOLS!!!

I do all my beats off my Mac Book and the last thing I need is to carry around a USB HUB, or have it accidentally removed.

I know you guys need to Protect your products but you guys really need to find a better way around it.

I totally want to get Record NOW, but since I heard it came with a Ignition key it turned me off. I had so many problems with Protools and back in the day with Logic 7 that I DO NOT deal with Ignition keys.

After a day of playing with Record, it has brought this dieing soul back to Life in a matter of a day.

But the ignition key has to go!!!

I Love your Products and I Buy all my Software, so you guys need to come up with a better solution for us loyal costumers.

Guys, what do you think? Sound off!

Ernest Joy-

House Music all Night Long!
Old 2010-08-29, 09:44

I just wanted to make you aware of the fact that cross posting is generally considered poor forum etiquette on these boards. Since this is a feature request (sort of), the Feature Suggestion forum would be the appropriate place to post this. This topic has been discussed quite a bit in other threads as well. Best of luck to you.

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." -Frank Zappa
Old 2010-08-29, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorkomatic View Post
I just wanted to make you aware of the fact that cross posting is generally considered poor forum etiquette on these boards. Since this is a feature request (sort of), the Feature Suggestion forum would be the appropriate place to post this. This topic has been discussed quite a bit in other threads as well. Best of luck to you.
No I posted on the wrong area so I added it in here.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 2010-08-29, 09:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerniex View Post
No I posted on the wrong area so I added it in here.

Thanks for the heads up!
Ah got ya. Take care.

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." -Frank Zappa
Old 2010-08-29, 12:20

Personally I don't mind the dongle... for propellerheads products. In fact it would be great if they would lock Reason to it as well so that they can assure that their products are not being stolen. When I was younger I didn't see the problem in piracy and thought it was great to get software for free, but as I got older I realized that by buying their products I am supporting their developers and allowing them to make more of the software that I love and use and make money from... that's only fair right? I mean if everyone pirated Reason and Record then the Prop's wouldn't get paid and would probably move on to some mundane job they hated in order to make a living. Dealing with such a small thing as a dongle (which you could easily accommodate with a cheap usb hub if you are running out of ports) in order to use software that you value is not something to really complain about... that's just me though.
Old 2010-08-29, 21:53

this is too simple stick the dongle in to start your project take it out when you want to use the extra usb port for something else simple or buy an extra usb hub its not like they cost $100
Old 2010-08-29, 22:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by always View Post
Personally I don't mind the dongle... for propellerheads products. In fact it would be great if they would lock Reason to it as well so that they can assure that their products are not being stolen. When I was younger I didn't see the problem in piracy and thought it was great to get software for free, but as I got older I realized that by buying their products I am supporting their developers and allowing them to make more of the software that I love and use and make money from... that's only fair right? I mean if everyone pirated Reason and Record then the Prop's wouldn't get paid and would probably move on to some mundane job they hated in order to make a living. Dealing with such a small thing as a dongle (which you could easily accommodate with a cheap usb hub if you are running out of ports) in order to use software that you value is not something to really complain about... that's just me though.
this is total BS your talking as if everyone uses warez unless the product has amazing copy protection forcing them to buy.

warez is theft i and many others are not in the business of stealing.

people who don't want to pay NEVER will.

if you think more people will buy reason and record because it has heavy copy protection you are wrong. you will just fuck so many people off in the end for treating good loyal honest customors like potential thieves .
Old 2010-09-06, 09:25
quebeleza

I wish , they would lock reason to it as well . Until the present I have not heard any plausible excuse from people not wanting to use the dongle. All bullshiters.
It is a pity developers are not getting all the money they trully deserve because of cracker teams and users.
Unfortunatelly this culturte will never end, hence propellerhead's effort to implement vst support ++ other features have to be held. Should any of us realise how many hours/days/months and years it takes to build a stable aplication & support the endless vst on the market today we would not be here complaining.
Old 2010-08-30, 19:20

What I found really amusing about the new licensing, was being sent a vaguely threatening email implying I had given my licence keys out to all and sundry, the very first (and to date, only) time I opened Record on two machines at once, using the online authorisation. The only reason I had Record open on both machines at once was to troubleshoot a problem I was having (which was preventing the application from running). Yes, you guessed it, the problem was thanks to that other wonderful facet of copy protection; the Ignition Key, which was not working correctly. Joy.

In an interview a few years back, one of the Props said that it was hard to comment on piracy because there is no real way of knowing either:
a) Whether given pirate will subsequently buy a legit copy.
b) Whether given pirate would ever have bought a copy at all, if a pirate copy had not been available.

Personally, I know three people in real life who have all pirated various Propellerhead software in the past. All three now run legitimate paid-for copies. All three claim they would never have bought it based on the demo alone and only felt a moral obligation to buy it, after using the full pirate version for some time. Moral obligation is far more effective than copy protection and doesn't annoy the users who pay for it.

I also shudder to think of:
1. Number of otherwise pirated copies sold. Total copies sold are irrelevant for this.
2. Development, hardware and packaging costs of implementing the ignition key.
3. Number of legitimate users who won't buy ANY dongled software. IE Sales lost.
4. Number of users who would otherwise buy a legit copy, but instead get a cracked one to avoid using a dongle. More lost sales.
5. Additional support/documentation overheads imposed by the Ignition key.

You'll notice only '1' is a profit. 2-5 are costs. I would be absolutely amazed if the money brought in by 1 exceeded the total cost of 2,3,4 and 5 combined. Never mind convenience and annoying your users, business hat on, this cannot make sound financial sense.
Old 2010-08-31, 00:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerniex View Post
But the ignition key has to go!!!

Guys, what do you think? Sound off!
I tend to agree though I don't use Record myself.

Still, I think there maybe a more simple solution to all this. IF I read everything correct then Record can start up in demo mode, internet auth. mode or auth. via the dongle. In demo mode you can record and save your work, but you can't load projects.

I wonder if there wouldn't be an advantage if they would turn this around. So; in demo mode you can load projects but you can't save your work. This approach would make it a lot better for people who use the combo in live situations; if you're on the road just make sure you have your data around and when you're without an internet connection just use Record in demo mode.

Since Record is about recording and creating stuff I can't understand that they didn't block saving instead of loading.

Peter

Using the Big Trio: Live 9 Suite, Max (for Live) and Reason 6.5.
Spam: SynthFan.info