Propellerhead Software
Old 2010-09-08, 17:15

Matrix Evolution - Evolved!

Updated with new image!
Added polyphony [given that note cv is mono, to do this either cv has to go poly (obviously) or the MEAPS would need 4 note outs, and all synths four note ins! Probably not gonna happen, but hey... clearly I have way too much time on my hands ]
Added midi step entry
Added per note tie/curve smooth (interpolation) at the bottom of each note
Removed extraneous bits

Original post follows
I've been following Jagwahs' thread about the Thor sequencer and it got me thinking about the way Props might implement an update to Matrix instead. I do use the Thor sequencer quite frequently, but rarely bother with the two curves as they aren't nice to program. Both eX and tift make excellent points on it's pros and cons.

So here's an outline of what I came up with, combining the flexibility of Thors' sequencer with the visual ease of the MAP.

Increasing the height of the module gives us 3 octave view at a time, with a highlight on middle-C.
Radio buttons select from various edit screens - notes or one of 4 curves (routed to 4 CV outs at the back). Each screen can have independent step resolution, steps and bars. Yes, bars! A 16-bar pattern sequencer! Digital display sets the number of bars, lighting them up very purty; clicking on the bar number buttons selects the bar/s to be edited, and changes the LED colour to an even more purty colour.

Gate/velocity is handled in the same way as MAP with bottom section of the visual matrix, rather than a separate edit screen.

Bipolar/Unipolar switch brought to the front panel!

When in a curve edit window, clicking a curve preset draws in that curve at the current resolution (image goes to 1/2, but would need more options than shown, and yes, I included 1/4T ), which can then be further refined as required in the matrix.

The Thor playback options above the pattern select buttons might be a wish too far with varying step resolutions and bar numbers.

A new feature - Record Midi & Loop. With the new MAP in MIDI focus it will record notes/cc to the matrix for the selected number of bars, and auto-looping . This would be Firkin awesome for live performance, allowing us to improvise sequences.

And lastly it introduces a *.matrix file type
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MATRIX Evolution.jpg (65.5 KB, 221 views)

Last edited by JiggeryPokery; 2010-09-22 at 10:54.
Old 2010-09-08, 18:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jynseng View Post
I've been following Jagwahs' thread about the Thor sequencer and it got me thinking about the way Props might implement an update to Matrix instead. I do use the Thor sequencer quite frequently, but rarely bother with the two curves as they aren't nice to program. Both eX and tift make excellent points on it's pros and cons.

So here's an outline of what I came up with, combining the flexibility of Thors' sequencer with the visual ease of the MAP.

Increasing the height of the module gives us 3 octave view at a time, with a highlight on middle-C.
Radio buttons select from various edit screens - notes or one of 4 curves (routed to 4 CV outs at the back). Each screen can have independent step resolution, steps and bars. Yes, bars! A 16-bar pattern sequencer! Digital display sets the number of bars, lighting them up very purty; clicking on the bar number buttons selects the bar/s to be edited, and changes the LED colour to an even more purty colour.

Gate/velocity is handled in the same way as MAP with bottom section of the visual matrix, rather than a separate edit screen.

Bipolar/Unipolar switch brought to the front panel!

When in a curve edit window, clicking a curve preset draws in that curve at the current resolution (image goes to 1/2, but would need more options than shown, and yes, I included 1/4T ), which can then be further refined as required in the matrix.

The Thor playback options above the pattern select buttons might be a wish too far with varying step resolutions and bar numbers.

A new feature - Record Midi & Loop. With the new MAP in MIDI focus it will record notes/cc to the matrix for the selected number of bars, and auto-looping . This would be Firkin awesome for live performance, allowing us to improvise sequences.

And lastly it introduces a *.matrix file type!

Sounds like great ideas.
Old 2010-09-08, 19:10
Propellerhead

Yeah I can definitely get behind this. VERY important with *.matrix imo, that could be a game changer for me since I'm often ridiculously lazy.
Old 2012-12-29, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiasHG View Post
I'm often ridiculously lazy.
*giggles like a kid* XD
Old 2012-12-29, 14:43

Just noticed this thread is from 2010. I'm sure the issue is always up to date, and JP's design is awesome! I hope to see this as RE soon (or at least some day in Reason 7 ) .
• MacBook Pro 15'' 2.6 GHz i7 • M-Audio Ozone • Akai EWI USB • Korg nanoSeries • Re-Tron • Predator-RE • Antidote • Bitspeek • Pulsar • Saturation Knob • Echobode • Uhbik A, D, G, P • Polar • Flower Audio Loudness Meter • Shelob • Mordred • PDT2 • Volt CB-1 • Volt SH-1 • Ozone Maximizer • Yoko • Glitch • ReVolt • CV Tuner • CV Suite Line Mixer • CV Suite Line Processor • PCV • RPDistort • Morfin XF Crossfader • Viking • Anansi • Itsy • Stereo Splitter • G8 Gate • Divisor • Polysix • PX7 • Audio To CV • Truth • AutoArp • A-100 Series • WBL5515 • Neutron • Measure • Distributor • Now • Later • Lolth • Volt SL-1 • Charlotte • 4 Phase LFO • Directre • Wbl3001 • Scope Jr • DCAM EnvShaper • BZR-1 • Little LFO • RP-Verb • Equation Bundle • Mingler • Noxious • One-note stand • MonoPoly • Revival • Tick Tick • Randrome Bundle • AutoTheory • CV-8 • Tres • C1-L1 • Red Queen • Parametrix • Parsec • RE 200 • CV Mutant • Ammo 1200BR • Vermilion • PlayGate • TableOscillator • Snakebite • AdditiveOscillator • Module Maker Bundle • EDS06s • Crapre • Synchronous •
Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2010-09-08, 19:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jynseng View Post

Bipolar/Unipolar switch [I]brought to the front panel!
Haha, that's all I need. But yes, all these things would be a great update. I feel like a lot of the things people have been asking for could be taken care of if the Props just updated and improved the great synths and modules that R+R already have.
Old 2010-09-09, 00:18

WOW! That is exactly what i have been dreaming about for years now!!!

Great idea. I have posted a few threads on this very topic, but to see a pic of something that i imagined in my head is amazing.

You sir are a genius...
Old 2010-09-09, 00:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebretisdead View Post
Haha, that's all I need. But yes, all these things would be a great update. I feel like a lot of the things people have been asking for could be taken care of if the Props just updated and improved the great synths and modules that R+R already have.
Well I suppose they were a little busy with uh... Oh yeah, updating R+R.

"Some questions simply do not deserve an answer." - Richard Dawkins

https://soundcloud.com/dutch-bastard

omfg one million megahurz CPU
Old 2010-09-09, 00:58

I didn't mention anything about polyphony in the OP, but hey, if it can be done, why the heck not?

Perhaps have polyphony determined with different colours on the matrix, with a note and gate cv output per voice?

It's interesting that loops and drums got a such a great boost in R5. Given that Props aren't going to redo every module in a single release - and not just due to time constraints, they gotta make a living and spread the joy over several years - I think it's pretty likely the next releases will focus on effects. A "live sequencer" I think is just the sort of the thing they would excel at. MAP is great, has shuffle, but is otherwise somewhat inflexible, Thor sequencer is pretty flexible but lacks shuffle and is slightly unintuitive.
Old 2010-09-16, 10:15

I posted this on another thread but as I'm really behind this idea I thought I'd list it here too. So here are my ideas so far. Since I can't stand working with th redrum or the kong(yet) Ive alot riding on a new matrix!

In no particular order...
OPTIONAL polyphonic programming. If it's not optional the randomise function will be a mess. Drag velocity and note length at once and with great accuracy like in logic's ultrabeat. KEEP THE RANDOM FUNCTION. Make it dropdown expandable so you can see multiple octaves. Allow 'copy automation to track' function for parameters. Flam function for individual notes. Alt click function to play notes on the sequencer.

I like the other ideas mentioned so far as well. Especially moving the unipolar/bipolar function to the front.

Can't stress keeping the randomise and alter pattern functions enough though.