Propellerhead Software
Old 2010-09-20, 01:06

Demoing record - can't get audio input

I've been working at this for over 2 hours and now I feel like an idiot. How do you get audio input to be picked up in record? I'm using Windows 7, and just updated my sound card drivers to get rid of that nasty latency issue in Win7. Anyway, I can monitor incoming audio with the OS just fine, but in Record, there's no way to get the input on a new audio track. It simply says, "No audio inputs available, please check your sound card settings."

Does anyone know how to get this to work? The demos all show it working out-of-box, but I have to experience it to believe it. Until I do, I don't see the point of buying this if I need a new sound card just to use it. But it does seem a lot better than Audacity.

-James
Old 2010-09-20, 01:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornja View Post
I've been working at this for over 2 hours and now I feel like an idiot. How do you get audio input to be picked up in record? I'm using Windows 7, and just updated my sound card drivers to get rid of that nasty latency issue in Win7. Anyway, I can monitor incoming audio with the OS just fine, but in Record, there's no way to get the input on a new audio track. It simply says, "No audio inputs available, please check your sound card settings."

Does anyone know how to get this to work? The demos all show it working out-of-box, but I have to experience it to believe it. Until I do, I don't see the point of buying this if I need a new sound card just to use it. But it does seem a lot better than Audacity.

-James
Just starting with the basics... have you gone to the preferences page to tell Record what device to expect your audio input from?
Old 2010-09-20, 01:18

Make sure ypu have ASIO drivers installed and selected in prefs
Old 2010-09-20, 01:50

I have the same issue...there is no sound output in Record. The meters are showing input and output but no sound is heard. I have selected all asio drivers and i still get nothing. Windows 7?
Old 2010-09-20, 07:18

Under preferences -> audio, I see "Active Input Channels 0 out of 0" And the "Channels..." button is disabled.

I can hear audio just fine if I play one of the demo songs, but the meters show nothing when I try to record; obviously.

What are the ASIO drivers? I installed the drivers for my on-board sound card that came with my motherboard (Asus M4A785TD-M EVO).

-James
Old 2010-09-20, 10:56

Quote:
Under preferences -> audio, I see "Active Input Channels 0 out of 0" And the "Channels..." button is disabled.

I can hear audio just fine if I play one of the demo songs, but the meters show nothing when I try to record; obviously.

What are the ASIO drivers? I installed the drivers for my on-board sound card that came with my motherboard (Asus M4A785TD-M EVO).

-James
Record requires ASIO drivers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Stream_Input/Output) for input. If you don't have a real sound card and are using the onboard audio then you might be able to get by using ASIO4ALL (http://www.asio4all.com/)
Old 2010-09-22, 20:56

Thanks for the info; I'll look into this when I get a chance.
Old 2011-09-11, 20:34

Angry Same problem on Mac OS X 10.6

Quote:

-James
I'm having the same problem –*only it's happening with an external interface using Mac Core Audio drivers. I have a set of Alesis M1Active 320 monitors with built-in audio interface, and while I can monitor incoming sound just fine, the Preferences settings say "0 of 0 inputs available" and the Channels button is disabled.

Record is useless unless I can get audio into it.
Old 2011-09-12, 19:26

Ever since I started using the ASIO4All driver, I haven't had any serious issues. It sometimes does take me a bit to get things set up correctly. Mostly, the issues are other programs using the audio. Generally, quitting any programs using audio and restarting record does the trick.

As for using a Mac, I know tons of people in the audio industry love their Macs, but I've had nothing but trouble with mine, so a few years ago, I just built my own damn PC for a quarter of the price of a new Mac. Couldn't be happier.

Anyway, iszyman - the ASIO4All driver is a low-level hardware driver for audio. But it's for PC only, so you're stuck with whatever Apple decides to provide you with.
Old 2011-09-12, 16:47

HI, my name is james a hughes,i cant get a inpot when i go to audio track,, for guitar or mik, iam using Windows 7 with a P,C,I exprees sound blaster driver when i plug in the guitar i get a deleay i have moved the buffer slider each and every way & it is still their it,s slow or fast, i download asio 4all and still grting the same problem does anyone know how to get this to work!!!!!!!!!!!!