Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

View Poll Results: Record 2.0 as ReWire Master ?
Good idea 170 90.43%
Bad idea 5 2.66%
I really don't care... 11 5.85%
I would do it differently! (check my comments) 2 1.06%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2010-09-29, 19:24

Record 2.0 as a ReWire Master (plz!)

(Thanks EpicDesign, for the cool logo!)

That's basically it...
A full implementation of ReWire 2 on Record 2.0 (as a ReWire Master), would allow us to get MIDI-OUT and Audio Input (as well as Audio Output of course) through ReWire to a ReWire Slave application.

Implementing a technology developed by PropellerheadSW (ReWire 2) would avoid supporting more non-PropellerheadSW technologies while avoiding all the VST/AU mess users are afraid will drag Record to the mud if it supported plug-ins directly.

A new ReWire rack Device would provide the needed "hook" between the sequencer track MIDI output and the Audio Send/Return (Out/In) to/from ReWire... or just upgrade the existing "P-LAN" rerouting for the existing Audio and Mix rack Devices.

So... if PropellerheadSW themselves won't make that lightweight hybrid ReWire Slave + VST/AU host application, any other clever software company would grab this opportunity to make it with MIDI-OUT (simply rerouting to a MIDI port what's sent from Record through ReWire) AND support for a VST Hosting rack, where VST instruments and Effects would receive MIDI and/or Audio and send the Audio back through ReWire.

Those that don't like or don't need VST/AU would simply stay well away from this little lightweight hybrid Slave Host application and go on with their happy lives and those that scream for VST/AU support, would simply jump on it and... be happy (or not, depending on the stability of both this app and the VSTs you use).

One extra feature that might show up, if ReWire Mastering was implemented, would be the possibility of Record 2.0 supporting MIDI-OUT natively, since 90% of the MIDI handling code would have to be in there to support the full ReWire 2 Master feature, so... a couple more code tweaks and Preferences tab could make this happen (I would like to think)

Last edited by Koshdukai; 2010-10-30 at 20:58.
Old 2010-09-29, 21:31

Amen to this. Then I could get Virtual Drumline (Tapspace) sounds into Record.

Last edited by dflynn; 2010-09-29 at 21:39.
Old 2010-09-29, 22:39

yes and this application can be called recycle 3 . the ultimate tool for syncing your gear and software instruments and recording and editing them.

i hope they listen to you good post
Old 2010-09-29, 23:36

Talking

thinking of this.
and then develop a mini host with rewire slave support,
to host vst/vsti's in record!, with props quality.

easy:

channel in record mixer to chanel in minihost.

and this solution to get song compatibility between songs.

when creating a final song (for distributing ), or closing a .recsong (or whatever is called ,i cant afford any props product right now ,Im unemployed at the moment so i dont know the extension)
record renders a track of the vst from the mini host , so if you open your project in a host without the plugin, record uses the rendered audio instead.

this is a great idea folks //begging for a free license of record/reason duo.

Last edited by fhercasa; 2010-09-30 at 00:36.
Old 2010-09-29, 23:56
Propellerhead

Not a bad solution if it keeps stability. Nice.
Old 2010-09-30, 00:10

It would:
  • make a statement about the commitment to the ReWire technology
  • avoid messing around with any "foreign" technologies (VST, AU, RTAS, TDM, LADSPA, DSSI, LV2, DirectX, MAS, ...)
  • (finally) provide a two-way door to the outside world (MIDI-OUT/In, simpler Audio internal In and/or Send/Return) instead of the current limiting* MIDI-IN/Audio Out solution provided by the ReWire Slave implementation. (*limiting because ReWired Record can't record or sample, loosing almost half the features it has)

...and like I said, maybe such a feature would also open the door to a native support of MIDI-Out in that same 2.0 release.

Also, who knows? Maybe a future 4th side-kick app would be born: a PropellerheadSW made Reason-like Rack for plug-ins running as a ReWire-slave... but even if this one never becomes a reality, at least there would still be plenty of 3rd party solutions to bridge the gap between Record and the plug-in wars... erm, I mean, world

EDIT: Sure, all of this without ever touching current stability... else forget it

Last edited by Koshdukai; 2010-09-30 at 02:21.
Old 2010-09-30, 23:57

Bump. This is the most important suggestion I've seen on this forum. Well, to me anyway...
Old 2010-10-02, 08:22

I would enjoythis feature even if only to slave one computer to another

maybe record 2 will have a new re wire
Old 2010-10-02, 19:11

Rewire Slave Options

Assuming hopefully that Record 2.0 gets Rewire Master capability, here are a couple of robust, inexpensive programs that support Rewire in both master and slave modes:

Reaper: http://www.reaper.fm/
Plogue Bidule: http://www.plogue.com/?page_id=56

Either, perhaps especially Bidule, would make a great low-overhead, and very flexible, VST host.

Dave
Old 2010-10-02, 19:21
Propellerhead

Yeah, I've always been a bit interested in Bidule as a pure plug-in host.