Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2010-10-15, 07:34
xrisingforce

"out of memory" error when loading songs

hi, newcomer to the forums here. after upgrading to a new desktop i've been running into a problem with loading songs that i've never had before, which is strange since reason ran flawlessly on my lower-end laptop.

i recently reformatted my computer so when i go to load my .rns files i'm prompted to manually locate my refills on first load, but the vast majority of the time i get an error when the loading process finishes that reads "out of memory - the operation could not be completed because not enough memory is available." this is especially strange considering i have reason projects which are bigger in size than those that refuse to load (i.e. 3.1 mb as opposed to 2.8) and load perfectly fine. the only other difference between the former and the latter is that the former projects were created after the reformat, and as such reason knows where the refills are located. i can't see how that should or would make a difference though.

here are my system's specs:
processor: amd athlon ii x4 630 quadcore processor @ 2.8 ghz
memory: 6 gb
soundcard: realtek high definition audio
direct x 11

hope someone has some clue about what my problem is haha

Last edited by xrisingforce; 2010-10-15 at 08:23.
Old 2010-10-15, 09:02

Smile

Reason/Record does not work on 64-bit OS's

There is some way around this but I'm not sure what it is.

Your best bet is to register your software first then do a search in the User Forum. There is a definite solution though.
Old 2010-10-15, 09:23
xrisingforce

sounds good, thanks mate
Old 2010-10-15, 15:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlifebware View Post
Record and Reason work fine on a 64 bit OS.
Old 2010-10-15, 18:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlifebware View Post
Yeah man, I'm not sure where you are getting your info, but Reason/Record works perfectly fine on 64 bit os's.

My specs:
Windows 7 64 Bit
8 GB Ram
Core 2 Duo CPU 3.0GHz
Focusrite Saffire (for sound interface)

Everything works 100% for me.
Old 2010-10-15, 18:45

My spec home built in January

Win 7 Pro 64 bit (pre-order offer at release)
I7 860
8GB RAM
Line 6 UX1

Intel DP55WG motherboard with 12 USB and Firewire
HD5770 1 GB vid card

Everything runs smooth
Old 2010-10-15, 18:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ahg View Post
8GB RAM
8GB RAM is freakin' cool.
Old 2011-07-10, 01:03

32bit vs 64bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrisingforce View Post
hi, newcomer to the forums here. after upgrading to a new desktop i've been running into a problem with loading songs that i've never had before, which is strange since reason ran flawlessly on my lower-end laptop.

i recently reformatted my computer so when i go to load my .rns files i'm prompted to manually locate my refills on first load, but the vast majority of the time i get an error when the loading process finishes that reads "out of memory - the operation could not be completed because not enough memory is available." this is especially strange considering i have reason projects which are bigger in size than those that refuse to load (i.e. 3.1 mb as opposed to 2.8) and load perfectly fine. the only other difference between the former and the latter is that the former projects were created after the reformat, and as such reason knows where the refills are located. i can't see how that should or would make a difference though.

here are my system's specs:
processor: amd athlon ii x4 630 quadcore processor @ 2.8 ghz
memory: 6 gb
soundcard: realtek high definition audio
direct x 11

hope someone has some clue about what my problem is haha
__________________________________________________ ____________________

I have the same problem - Just got latest i7 2nd gen with 16gb ram and SSD and thought it would fly.

Pretty much same issue with out of memory and still sometimes get reason hang (not responding) when loading large tracks.

I think the issue may lie with Reason - Being only 32 bit it can only access part of your RAM - I think its 3-4gb - so anything over that doesn't have any effect . . however when you check in task manager Reason isn't using much RAM at all so I'm wandering if its more processor and hard drive speed hungry (makes sense. . . most people have 1 - 2 or 4GB ram so Reason are probably playing sample based instruments from the HD and not the RAM . .

Come on Propellerhead boffins - This poor utilisation of quadcore RAM filled PC power spoils the best software I have had the pleasure of using.

I've just shelled out a fortune on a new PC specifically for Reason and I think I speak for everyone when I say ' Where's Reason 64 bit?'

Rich
Old 2011-07-10, 07:16

The "out of memory" issue has to be a bug, considering that this error message comes up when clearly there's more that enough ram. I've also had this same error many times before.

-Jay Electronica, 2011
Old 2012-10-21, 04:23
sibrus

This may be an old post but I had the same issue and found a solution that worked. (I'm using Reason 5).

I had a song that would cause "out of memory" every time I tried to load it.

I patched reason.exe with the "4gb patch" (available at: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php)

Tried again on the same song, loaded just fine. The 4gb patch allows 32bit programs to access more memory.