Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Music Forum (read only)

Old 2010-11-01, 16:55

First attempt at an Amiga-like demo song

This is my first time posting anything here. I want to start to get active here in this forum, because I barely have anyone to talk to about music and reason users. I usually code lua for a game called Garry's Mod and manage a game server, so I've drifted away from the whole music thing that I was active in before. I've mostly made trance, but lately I've been making a lot of different things which is good. I don't like being tied to only one genre.

Enough introduction.

I've used OpenMPT to export samples from my favorite mod songs. This resulted with getting my hands on a lot of funky retro sounds. I ended up making a 2 min demo-like song with these samples which is sounding funny to me because it has almost all the sounds I can remember from my childhood.
The song wasn't that hard to make sound-wise, since there's not a whole lot you need to take care of with samples. I didn't spend that much time on the song compared to the time I spend on other songs, but I don't see anything else to add to the arrangement. I still like how it turned out though so this is why I'm posting it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/244444/Auxil...%20Cracked.mp3

The name is kind of bad, but I'll come up with a better name soon I guess.

Has anyone else made a song using only samples from mod songs to make it sound 100% like a mod song in Reason before? If so I'd be interested to hear it. I've used samples from mod songs before, but not like this.

Last edited by capsadmin; 2010-11-06 at 07:18.
Old 2010-11-01, 17:22

Captain: What happen ?
Mechanic: Somebody set up us the bomb.
Operator: We get signal.
Captain: What !
Operator: Main screen turn on.
Captain: It’s you !!
CATS: How are you gentlemen !!
CATS: All your base are belong to us.
CATS: You are on the way to destruction.
Captain: What you say !!
CATS: You have no chance to survive make your time.
CATS: Ha ha ha ha …
Operator: Captain !!
Captain: Take off every ‘ZIG’!!
Captain: You know what you doing.
Captain: Move ‘ZIG’.
Captain: For great justice.
Old 2010-11-02, 09:31

I'm gonna try and make a cracktro with this program I have. There's probably a few things I'd like to change in the song after all too. I have a maximizer at before final output and the volume before that is a little loud making it sound compressed and not very mod-like.
Old 2010-11-02, 10:01

Thumbs up Very nice!

I started it off and thought where's the beef (went to turn up my sub), being a low end lover it was a little lacking. It seemed to come up through the track but left a little to be desired. Then again, it did keep me listening for it, would be cool just a little more pronounced on the low end, careful not to make mud, just bring up bass on your lowest tone instruments, 30-120Hz (mold it tight, not muddy) even if just for a second, like when the vox stuff comes in. Just my thoughts. Great sounds man, enjoyed the listen!

Do you use a sub to mix?

Last edited by Fr3ShiE; 2010-11-03 at 17:45.
Old 2010-11-02, 12:20

No. I thought using a sub for mixing is only necessary if you have something like a bass guitar or a tuba.

But I think you're right about it lacking bass. I brought it back more on the bass synth by mixing it with a low pass'd raw sound.

I've improved other things about the song a little too. I've brought the kick back more and adjusted some things I can't remember. (probably just mixing) I've added a new link to the OP. Could you check if the bass is fine now?
Old 2010-11-03, 17:33

Talking I really like this track!

All kinds of promise, and being a Logic user and hearing this with an idea of where you're at. All though this track is really professional so I have to wonder... if Record is opposite Logic in that you need to tune up the low end instead of tone down. I'm really curious about Record but can't get past the dongle.

I downloaded and imported this file into Logic and am using the EQ on the master out, I added +9db at 100Hz and 5.5db at 355Hz. This is a little closer to where I would take it. I took a screenshot of the curve. Being this far out of speck I personally would remix. My personal rule is over 6db of change on a final mix eq, something in the mix isn't quite right. I think I read that you did compress and limit. I was amazed getting into engineering that most the magic is in the EQ and the rest is in understanding and knowing compression/limiting.

I would recommend getting a great pair of monitors and a sub, you can't fix what you can't hear. The trickiest thing about monitors is getting yourself used to them by really hearing music you know through them, and taking the music you mix and listening on many different systems and speakers. How it translates...

I use Reason for live gigs and practices. I like blocks but don't like how they don't work rewired, I hope the Props are careful with their software! Don't forget us, this niche is important and it goes both ways, just agree to rewrite all the line 6 software into the next version of Record/Reason1.0 You know, ...AND FORGET 3rd party blah and THE FREAKING DONGLES!!! THose two things are what soured me on Line6... Couldn't let that go unsaid.

As tricky as you can imagine...
Good luck and thanks for the tunes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eq.jpg (19.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Fr3ShiE; 2010-11-03 at 18:12.
Old 2010-11-05, 23:54

Hey,

Just gave a listen and really like the energy this tune exudes - very nice. As far as production goes, I think you could do yourself a favor and remix this. Only this time give each voice an area in the mix. To my ear, everything is sitting pretty much in the center of the mix. Definitely keep the bass and kick in the center but everything else can be moved around. By doing this you create a much bigger stereo image and you instruments will have a distinct area in the stereo field in which to sit. This will actually help you make a bigger, fuller mix. When you add in eq and compression to some of those voices you'll help to delineate them further.

I guess what I'm saying is, keep at this. There is a really great tune in there waiting to be unleashed!!

Chris

CD "Harvest Song" available at : CD Baby - iTunes
Old 2010-11-06, 04:55

Yeah there's not much stereo going on, but that's because the samples are in mono. I'd have to either fake it or pan some instruments. I think panning was done in a few songs. I've even heard songs where all the drums are 100% on the left!

I'm just trying to make it sound as .mod-like as possible though. But I will try panning the instruments. I want to try to stay away from faking it though (unison, chorus etc)

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 2010-11-06, 05:26

I guess I didn't consider that your samples might all be contained snippets. In other words the drums, synths and bass are already one file and you have no control over the individual aspects - bummer! It would be great if you could really control all aspects of the instruments heard.

It's still a petty cool song in my estimation - maybe it's just meant to be what it is. That's okay too!

Chris

CD "Harvest Song" available at : CD Baby - iTunes
Old 2010-11-06, 07:18

They're not premade melodies, they're one shot samples. I'm not sure how to explain it so here's an example of one sample:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/244444/flute.wav

I've added stereo to the song (link in OP)