Propellerhead Software
Old 2010-12-02, 00:54

Smile Global Solo and mute.

I'm an engineer in Nashville Tn. and a hardcore Protools, Record and Reason user. I, like many engineers, use two monitors to view a larger picture of either Protools and/or Record, having the fader pack/mixer page on one monitor and waveform/sequence page on the other monitor. In using protools, when I solo or mute a region on the channel strip, it is clearly defined on both the fader pack, the control/24 and the waveform page. However, in Record when you solo or mute, for example, from the fader/mix window, only that channel strip that you soloed or muted will indicate the action. It would be great to be able to see a global mute or solo across all pages in record like it is in Protools. Call me lazy, but work flow seems to increase when I can visually see, on both monitors what I have soloed or muted. Anyway, keep up the great work, I love, love, love using Record as a stand alone and in conjunction with Protools. I hope this helps. Oh and if there is a preference not activated that allows this function to happen in record, then please forgive me for taking up your time.

thanks again
Nashvegas
Old 2010-12-02, 08:57

Smile

The solos in R+R actually represent different functions, one is the audio solo on the mix and one is to solo the track sequencer. This might seem like semantics but they do allow a bit more flexibility and functionality in places when they remain seperate.

cheers
B
Old 2010-12-02, 16:36

Don't get me wrong, I understand. I'm sure programmers are banging there heads trying to appease the masses. Hence the "BETA" period. You have a workflow method as do every D.A.W. user around the world. I was simply approaching this from a personal and visual angle. Thanks again and Happy Hanukkah!
Old 2010-12-02, 17:10

lowlifebware does have a point. It's not only that sequencer mute and mixer channel mute do different things. It gets worse/better than that. There is absolutely no necessary connection between sequencer tracks and mixer channel!

Suppose you have 8 Thors that you split up with Spiders, feed through effects, recombine with more Spiders, and then route 8 of those different signals to 8 mixer tracks. Each device, in this imaginary example, has an effect on all of the mix channels. You mute one of the mixer channels. On which of the sequencer tracks would you indicate the mute?

Any educated guess would likely be off for anything but the most simple routings. I'm glad PHeads didn't make the decision to try to synchronize the mute indicators, as that would've likely been a sort of a half measure in that way.

That's a simple design decision in PT, on the other hand, as you have you tracks, 5 (? can't remember...) static inserts and 5 (?) sends, and really no cross-routing of any kind.
Old 2010-12-02, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigheaden View Post
I'm an engineer in Nashville Tn. and a hardcore Protools, Record and Reason user. I, like many engineers, use two monitors to view a larger picture of either Protools and/or Record, having the fader pack/mixer page on one monitor and waveform/sequence page on the other monitor. In using protools, when I solo or mute a region on the channel strip, it is clearly defined on both the fader pack, the control/24 and the waveform page. However, in Record when you solo or mute, for example, from the fader/mix window, only that channel strip that you soloed or muted will indicate the action. It would be great to be able to see a global mute or solo across all pages in record like it is in Protools. Call me lazy, but work flow seems to increase when I can visually see, on both monitors what I have soloed or muted. Anyway, keep up the great work, I love, love, love using Record as a stand alone and in conjunction with Protools. I hope this helps. Oh and if there is a preference not activated that allows this function to happen in record, then please forgive me for taking up your time.

thanks again
Nashvegas
Hey, ME TOO (NashVegas!!!). :-)

But anyway, Record's mixer works exactly like PT - when you solo a track all the other tracks are muted which clearly indicates you are in solo mode. I'm not sure why this isn't working on your system...?

I would guess you're thinking that the sequencer page in Record is like the edit page in PT, which it is not. They are more like two separate entities, which (once you understand it) is much more flexible. :-)
Old 2010-12-02, 18:32

I guess the twenty plus years of Protools use has had a pavlovian effect on me. Thanks for the input and DidrikM, Selig for the great examples and explanation. I have to admit, it's great to be able to discuss even the smallest issues and not be kicked in the head by fellow R and R users. I appreciate your time and comments. Thanks again.
Old 2010-12-02, 20:10

Quote:
I guess the twenty plus years of Protools use has had a pavlovian effect on me. Thanks for the input and DidrikM, Selig for the great examples and explanation. I have to admit, it's great to be able to discuss even the smallest issues and not be kicked in the head by fellow R and R users. I appreciate your time and comments. Thanks again.
That's impressive considering Pro Tools has only been around for about 19 years! ;-)
Old 2010-12-02, 20:48

What can I say,... I was using the super secret version of P.t. version -.001. Maybe it just feels like twenty plus years. lol.
Old 2010-12-02, 22:05

Quote:
What can I say,... I was using the super secret version of P.t. version -.001. Maybe it just feels like twenty plus years. lol.
Same here - I started LITERALLY with version 1.0. I was Pro Tools before Pro Tools was cool! (Nashville reverence, btw...) :-)