Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2011-01-28, 04:30

Any Saffire interface users? Record question/problem.

I have a Saffire PRO 14 audio interface and I'm sending stereo to line input 1. I am trying to record stereo in Record, but when I select stereo it gives me Input 1 + Input 2, instead of something like Input 1L + Input 1R. I opened up Ableton and it offers me the choice of Input 1 (mono) or Input 1 (stereo). Testing out the audio, both L and R work in Ableton and I'm able to record Input 1 in stereo. Seeing that this works fine in Ableton I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong in Record. I tried the audio settings but all 8 inputs are checked...just no option to record stereo for my single input, any ideas?
Old 2011-01-28, 14:37

I have a pro24. Pretty sure that's the way it works with me, too, and that It's just renaming the inputs so that 1 is L and 2 is R. (and that "2" actually becomes part of "1")
Old 2011-01-28, 19:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdFloorSound View Post
I have a pro24. Pretty sure that's the way it works with me, too, and that It's just renaming the inputs so that 1 is L and 2 is R. (and that "2" actually becomes part of "1")
Yeah, I understand what you mean about renaming it, but that's not the issue. It's just that 1 and 2 are individual inputs. I'm inputting stereo into input 1, so if I select input 1 in Record it's mono. By selecting the stereo option, Record automatically chooses input 2! The problem is that I'm not putting anything into input 2. It would work if my setup was:

Input 1 -> L mono -> Record Input 1
Input 2 -> R mono -> Record Input 2

Input 1+2 Stereo

However, my setup for input 1 on the Saffire is:
Input 1->L+R Stereo ->Record Input 1

So by selecting input 1+2 in stereo I get:
Input 1-> L+R Stereo -> Record Input 1 -> Sound from L
Input 2-> None -> Record Input 2 -> No sound (obviously because nothing is on channel 2)

Now, in Ableton all I have to do is select Input 1 and choose mono/stereo and it can get stereo from one input. In Record when I select stereo it tries to add input 1+2, I am trying to figure out how I can get stereo from my audio interface. It should be pretty straight forward I'm not sure why it's not working. Any ideas?
Old 2011-01-28, 22:36

Oh... If you're recording a mic - most are mono, same goes for guitar, so you'll be receiving mono on either 1 or 2 which will result in a recording on either the left or right channel. You'll see if you open Saffire's Mix Control that you're only getting signal on one side. I bet that what ableton does is either split or sum the signal.
If you want to split a signal in record you could throw an audio splitter in the mix channel's insert effects section and bring the left send into the split source, then two outputs to the channels return. Your track will look like a mono track, but on the SSL mixer it will become stereo.

Note: If you divert one of the splits from the splitter through a 5 - 50ms delay and then into the return you get the Haas effect - one of the more recent James Bernard videos talks about this. The dry/wet knob will act like a width control in addition to the one on the mixer
Old 2011-02-01, 17:02

No, it's coming from my synth. I have stereo and mono out and when I hook it up to the Saffire, the software mixer shows L and R audio being output from a single channel. It's just that Record doesn't give me an option to receive both of the L and R audio from that one channel. I just said screw it and patched 2 monos to 2 separate channels. It just sucks that I have to use up 2 inputs when using Record. No worries I'll probably just record stuff in Live. Thanks for the help though.
Old 2011-02-01, 19:48

I just opened up ableton and checked it out: gives me the same exact result as record - 1/2 = chs 1L and 2R, 1=ch1 mono.
If you go into ableton's preferences>audio>input config it says
Quote:
1 (mono) & 2 (mono) or 1/2 (stereo)
Old 2011-02-02, 00:10

I see what you are saying, for some reason I was looking at the single channels as stereo because they were showing up with both L and R bars. I think what you said earlier about Live adding the the mono signal to both stereo paths is what I was seeing. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 2011-02-02, 00:58

No problem, frankly I'm surprised I was -heh- able to considering my love-hate relationship with live