Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2011-02-03, 16:16

Question Mastering à la Ozone 4 (with graphic) in R/R ?

hey guys!

i recently took a look at izotopes ozone 4. since (as we all know!) there is no better software then R/R, i still have to say this is one great plug-in. first i have to say that its a special mastering plug-in for VST-hosts such as PT,Logic etc. and i have been told, its ONE OF THE BEST in the entire universe.
on the other hand I THINK there is almost nothing, that it does with the sound, that we can not do inside R/R (they are very proud of mid-side-mastering too!) !!

the 2nd thing i wanted to share with u is, that i REALLY REALLY like their UI ! i dont want to spam or sth. but with ozone 4 u have always a great overview of your effects and important fx-faders (for comp,limit etc) at you fingertips and a seperate,big channel meter. there is also a spectrum analyzer included, with really great features ( for single tracks and master channel)!!!

finally, here is my feature suggestion:

i would love to see some ozone4 inside my R/R without external VST. some special summing of effects including spectrum analyzer for each track and master-channel, reference features and some new presets.

how could this be done the PH-way ? i dont know....
i can imagine myself clicking onto a coloured LED that occurson the lower corner of each fader inside the SSL-mixer. clicking this button will "zoom-into the fader" and show channel/track metering and the channels inserts (from the combi). u can load your inserts there, and choose which controles (from limiter,comp etc.)u want to have access to inside the "zoomed-in" channel-faders (ozone 4 copy).......
this would be very similar to what we can do at SSL's inserts section. but the combination with important effect controls, and awesome spectrum analyzer functions (4-band graphic eq etc.) impressed me a lot !!!

i know JB said he doesnt really need those visualisation features for mixing, and recommends to use the ears and listen, instead of "watching" the sound. however he also said he always treats sounds like colours when mixing......(confusing me!?)

what do you think? ozone implementation technically doable? would it be useful for you ?? did you at least understood what i was trying to say ?? should i just use ozone ??

thanx for reading. replies highly appreciated ....

Last edited by beanos; 2011-02-03 at 17:17.
Old 2011-02-03, 22:00

Red face

seems as if i'm alone with that idea.....

hello ? ..ello ? ....... llo ?? o ? ...... o? ..... o ..

is somebody there ? .... ody there ?...... there ? ...ere? ..r..r.. r .
Old 2011-02-04, 02:09

Nope, you're not alone.

I've had Ozone for a couple of years now and i love it, it's a great tool for mixing/DIY mastering. The exciter is really great, would love to see a similar exciter in R+R. I do everything in reason and record, as much as possible, because i love the way they work, and i love the instruments, but Ozone is one of the reasons i go out into Cubase (shudder), the others being to use Arturia synths/DCAM synths.

I think that ozone-like functionality could be acheived in R+R without hacking apart the interface too much, a rack device which is a combined spectrum analyzer/multiband splitter could give you part of the control you get in ozone, with the frequency bands overlayed on the spectrum and outputs on the back for each band, put this together with a quality exciter and you'd be half way there.
Old 2011-02-26, 23:54

thank you clark and Rattmowe !

@ 123bpm: WTF !? i didnt want offend anybody with that sentence.... what you say is ridiculous!! you shouldnt have taken my "...best software on the planet.." stuff too serious....
...wtf..
Old 2011-02-03, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanos View Post
since (as we all know!) there is no better software then R/R, ....
who told you that? There is better sounding software out there than R/R. R/R is mainly about comfort and work flow. Especially who "know that RR is the best" are those which never tried anything else. And what is the idea? or is R?R your religion?
I tell you the idea: you export your Record song using multiexport, than mix it in some reasonable DAW like Protools or Cubase, using good VSTs and do mastering where you like, Ozone or protools/Cubase/Logic once again.

"i would love to see some ozone4 inside my R/R without external VST"

and I would love to get fresh coffee every morning served by a hot chic half naked.

What is the problem to export your song? What is the benefit to have Ozone in Record?

cheers

Last edited by 123bpm; 2011-02-03 at 22:22.
Old 2011-02-03, 23:45

beanos - This week, due to posts here in the forums, I've decided to get the $40 Reaper to try out the free unrestricted trial version of Ozone4: https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...1&postcount=22 .

I'm 100% R+R, but I want video sync now and I've wanted to try Ozone4 because of Grumbleweed's work. I'm looking forward to this weekend. Hang loose until next week and I'll let you know how things go.