Propellerhead Software
Old 2011-02-24, 19:26

Thumbs up kaos pad inspired EFX unit?

i think a effects like Korgs kaos pad would be a great addition to Reason, with multi fx processing and multiple banks, the MIDI controllers are out there ready to be exploited! for example imagine X- being a lowpass filter and Y- being highpass..... you would effectively have your own varible bandpass, which having used a kaos pad is awsome for swirly pads and even reece basses! who's with me????

DIGIT
Old 2011-02-24, 21:24

why not just put a low and a high pass filter in a combinator, map the frequencies to two knobs, and then map those to your xy controller. minus the cool lightshow and xy pad, a Kaoss pad is not all that dissimilar from two knobs on any other controller. not knocking the kaoss pad mind you, I've got one, just sayin' this is the way it is.

Last edited by penguinoid; 2011-02-24 at 21:26.
Old 2011-03-01, 23:40

thats a fair point actually. spose you could do that same for any effects....just lacks the visual reprentation
Old 2011-03-02, 00:22

yeah, I mean, the KP doesn't really offer much in the way of effects that can't be reproduced in software, people get the KP because it's a lot of fun just flicking around on the pad to get gestural expressions, it has a little sample bank that can mash up drumloops, etc... honestly, a lot of the time, I end up just using it in midi mode in Ableton, and map it to the xy pad (or two separate effects) in there. I don't think Reason needs "effects like korgs kaoss pad" because really, the delays and reverbs are pretty bad, the filters are kinda fun, but I mostly just use it's built-in effects for bitcrushing, looping, and granular mayhem.
Old 2011-03-03, 02:39

thats true, a X Y pad on the combinator would be useful though. just for ease