Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2011-07-06, 02:02

Suggestion Forum Suggestion: Scrap Suggestion Forum for suggestions

Because it doesn't really work.

Suggested replacement: Ideascale, or an ideascale like interface for the propellerhead site.

With ideascale, requests each have their own dedicated thread. There are not 100 different threads all requesting the same thing like there is here with VST's and 64 bit rewire.

With ideascale, members can vote suggestions up or down and add into the discussion and ideas on implementation. The closest this forum has ever come to a running discussion is the midi out thread. Running threads are the exception not the rule in this forum, which just results in clutter that keeps new ideas overwhelmed by multiple threads with one or two replies, all of which are just rehashing the same idea in different threads.

Even Avid, who had a bad CS reputation, did this for the eleven rack:

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/idea...ussionID=11273

The rest of the propellerhead site is well done so they have people who know what they're doing. But the forums have stayed the same for as long as I've been here and it gives the impression that user feedback isn't a high priority.
Old 2011-07-06, 02:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeopoldStotch View Post
... But the forums have stayed the same for as long as I've been here and it gives the impression that user feedback isn't a high priority.
You know, you may be right! It's possible that our opinions may carry very little weight. The entire Feature Suggestion forum and its spillover may amount to nothing more than whistling in the wind.

If this is the case, I won't cast it as good or bad. On one level, Reason and Record are certainly works of art. And artists for the most part, don't create their works by employing committees, focus groups or public opinion polls. They just put it out there — take it or leave it.

For now, I'm taking it.

Ye Olde FishCAM

Last edited by jkheal; 2011-07-06 at 02:29.
Old 2011-07-06, 02:31

However, I do like your ideascale idea, but only if Propellerhead actually pays attention to it. Otherwise it'll just be depressing because it will be so easy to keep track of how your suggestion(s) have been ignored.

Ye Olde FishCAM
Old 2011-07-06, 12:07

Yes, I agree that this forum can't possibly be considered a faithful pool of the most requested and wished features.

The fact that you didn't find this existing thread requesting almost the same proves that this forum doesn't work.

The notion I get about what others take out of this forum is: VSTs and MIDI-OUT... and, that's about it.

All the rest of good, well thought out, sensible and needed feature suggestions are completely lost and go under the radar of Propellerheads, unless they actively scrutinize every suggestion mentioned here and take notes about them (yeah right... although this happened at least once, according to Props Lore).

For a brief moment in time (around Reason4 launch and then again with Reason 5) I even thought this forum was actually working, since many of the more obscure suggestions like the much needed extra Transpose parameter in Combinator (R4), the almost complete MIDI-to-CV and Arpeggiator (R4) or the multi keyboard MIDI recording/locking (R5), all these were briefly and non-spectacularly suggested here and "miraculously" were added to Reason/Record (or maybe just a case of extreme coincidence where internal minds thought alike).

I'm curious to see if this still holds true, where some of the non-VST/MIDI-OUT sensible suggestions even show up in the next version(s), like better browsing experience, tags, audio buffer oriented FX improvements or a new device that takes care of this still lacking side of FX, drag'n'drop, audio track pitch transposing, 64bit support, a much needed and much requested evolution of the current Combinator, return to modularity instead of investing in all-in-one devices, etc...

Time will tell... but I'm a bit suspicious that if we get some of these, it's more due to internal decisions and natural feature improvement thought process than consequence on what's said on this forum.

Nevertheless, a ranking/voting system of bubbling up what really matters to users is a much more appropriate system for a suggestion forum than what we have now. Now, all we can get is the notion of the most polemic feature suggestions... and that says nothing about the % of user base that would pay for that new feature.

Last edited by Koshdukai; 2011-07-06 at 12:29.
Old 2011-07-06, 12:49

Old 2011-07-06, 12:50

Thumbs up

Old 2011-07-06, 15:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshdukai View Post
Nevertheless, a ranking/voting system of bubbling up what really matters to users is a much more appropriate system for a suggestion forum than what we have now. Now, all we can get is the notion of the most polemic feature suggestions... and that says nothing about the % of user base that would pay for that new feature.
If propellerheads were to have an ideascale type system on their own web site instead of the suggestion forum they could weight votes / suggestions based on the user's registration status.

For example if there was a feature request for record, they would be able to have vote totals for all users and then for only registered record users - the basic assumption being that if someone has already paid for a product then they will be more likely to buy the upgraded version of the product, so their vote means more from a sales perspective.
Old 2011-07-06, 17:52

Please no. The Official MIDI-Out thread proves what a bad idea this is.

Imagine the top 10 user feature requests forever floating at the top of the FS forum and the people that post in them slowly convincing themselves that these features will certainly be included in the next update. And then moaning that PH don't listen to their users when they aren't part of the next update.

Spare us all the pain and leave things the way they are even if it is chaotic. Software development isn't done on a vote basis thankfully. Personally I'd rather the PH web team did something else than sift through and gather the multiple FSs or spend time building a system that will work in this manner.
Old 2011-07-06, 18:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dioxide View Post
Please no. The Official MIDI-Out thread proves what a bad idea this is.

Imagine the top 10 user feature requests forever floating at the top of the FS forum and the people that post in them slowly convincing themselves that these features will certainly be included in the next update. And then moaning that PH don't listen to their users when they aren't part of the next update.

Spare us all the pain and leave things the way they are even if it is chaotic. Software development isn't done on a vote basis thankfully. Personally I'd rather the PH web team did something else than sift through and gather the multiple FSs or spend time building a system that will work in this manner.
You're thinking of it as a forum, it's not, so you're not stuck with the traditional way forums work. Check out the 11 rack page I linked to- you can display it many different ways - most popular, most recent, hottest (most popular recently) etc.

A suggestion forum might have worked years ago with one or two products, and if they kept a tight watch on it. Now it's largely useless.

As for "Software development isn't done on a vote basis " - no, it isn't. But when you rely on people posting 100 different threads for 64 bit rewire and VST support, the good ideas get lost in the shuffle. With dedicated spaces for each suggestion, ideas for implementation can be discussed and expanded on.

Peopellerhead doesn't need to dedicate any more time to it than they do to this existing forum. In fact it would be less because if they actually do read this forum for suggestions, using something like ideascale would be a more productive use of their time. They don't need to do more of this, they just need to do it better. Right now it frankly sucks as a feedback / suggestion system.
Old 2011-07-06, 18:22

As a placeholder, someone could always host the page/site themselves.

Ye Olde FishCAM