Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2011-07-12, 12:32

Reason 6 - The discontent thread

- add your discontent here

This is opened with the intention of keeping the moans seperate from the praises.
Old 2011-07-12, 12:33

Well what would the world be without Balance (haha, pardon the pun)?

Moan: No MIDI-Out!
Old 2011-07-12, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXode View Post
Well what would the world be without Balance (haha, pardon the pun)?

Moan: No MIDI-Out!
Ahem - agreed, but I never really thought that it would be in this version. I think it might happen on the next one because it has a sufficient development time. Props go slow so everything works as it should, and I get the feeling it was only when the MIDI-out megathread got over-heated in the extreme that they really would have taken it onto the development board, once the passion of the userbase became that obvious.

I'm off for a spot of lunch, and can't wait to see what kind of horrible storm has brewed on these 2 threads by the time I get back.

Remember folks - Manners please, and constructive criticism.
Old 2011-07-12, 12:43

Well I agree tbh, I don't think dev time is that bad today but in an old interview props mentioned that features for a new version were outlined about 2 years prior to release! So maybe next year! ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiGenetik View Post
Ahem - agreed, but I never really thought that it would be in this version. I think it might happen on the next one because it has a sufficient development time. Props go slow so everything works as it should, and I get the feeling it was only when the MIDI-out megathread got over-heated in the extreme that they really would have taken it onto the development board, once the passion of the userbase became that obvious.

I'm off for a spot of lunch, and can't wait to see what kind of horrible storm has brewed on these 2 threads by the time I get back.

Remember folks - Manners please, and constructive criticism.

Last edited by eXode; 2011-07-12 at 12:51.
Old 2011-07-12, 21:03

You know MIDI out would make this an upgrade really worth purchasing. Otherwise I look at the feature list, the upgrade price and then start to think I wasted my cash on Record, I should have waited for this. So maybe I should just wait for Reason 10 or 11!

Truth is apart from the lack of MIDI out Reason + Record is excellent (actually better than excellent) so maybe I don’t need to upgrade anyway, well not until my computer dies.
Old 2011-07-12, 21:07

Quote:
The redundancy of the new devices suggests Reason may be approaching the end of its upgradability.
It may be that integrating Reason and Record is the important business decision here, and that they want to do that as soon as possible.

The new devices might be - sort of - an excuse for that move.
Old 2011-07-13, 00:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exowildebeest View Post
It may be that integrating Reason and Record is the important business decision here, and that they want to do that as soon as possible.

The new devices might be - sort of - an excuse for that move.
Exactly what I was thinking, Cuz to my ears, the new fx devices arent groundbreaking (at least by themselves, Im pretty sure you can do some crazy shit when hooked up with the rest of the devices).

revolutionary would have been recycle integration, expanding the blocks to include some kind of live play solution, a new synth unlike anything else, new dedicated mastering devices and some minor but important stuff like grouping. I think that would have been worthy of a reason 6 label, but then again, somebody who's never owned record will see the new mixer and other record features and think it is a giant leap forward too.

I think this is just to keep us happy for another year and than they'll go full out. Still a shame, cuz I would have liked recycle integration this year.
Old 2011-07-13, 00:36
Kronsteen

A few more thoughts:

* Reason 6 wasn't beta tested.

Reason Limited and the Recycle update are being tested, though there should be a lot less need for beta testing on them than on Reason 6. Which reinforces the impression that Reason 6's new devices are fairly trivial innovations.

EDIT: Ignore the above. I was simply wrong, and I'm embarrassed about it. The other two points, if they're wrong, are wrong for different reasons.

* There will be more hackers attacking the dongle.

There weren't a lot of calls on software forums for Record's dongle to be hacked - you can often judge a program's popularity from the number of crack requests. But Reason is a much more popular program. Expect more hackers.

* Propellerhead are hurridly changing their business model.

After years of refusing to do anything with ReCycle, we get an upgrade. Reason gets a free version, a basic version...and a not-really upgrade to make a 'full' version. And then there's Balance, which looks like a tentative move into an already overcrowded market.

Last edited by Kronsteen; 2011-07-13 at 01:50. Reason: I got something wrong.
Old 2011-07-13, 01:00

It seems like a lot of the complaints are with regards to the pricing.

Can I just point out that the upgrade cost is pretty cheap relative to other companies, when you consider the fact that any new Props device has the rack to go into, so there is a lot of extra functionality that we kind of take for granted.

Is it expensive? Yeah sort of, but only because Reason users have grown used to them being very reasonable, and at the going rate these still are very reasonable. Compare that with the recent Cubase 6 release, which was 130 Euros for essentially a few bug fixes, and improving technology that didn't work very well in the previous version.

Interestingly, there are a lot of opinions on the devices too, but who here has actually heard them in action so far?
Old 2011-07-12, 22:03

I liked the idea of individual softwares that could be used together if required. In theory it could have reduced the Beer Gut effect, I would have liked to see that concept go further.

I guess at the end of the day it was difficult to market, and therefore easier to make an all-in-one that people can get their heads around. Perhaps there was pressure from some of the foreign distribution channels.

Propellerheads make great software, they have since ReBirth; but this upgrade seems like I’m not getting much in return for being a loyal and registered user. I bought a Line 6 UX-8 over two years ago and I am getting upgrades for Pod Farm 2 gratis, now that I did not expect.

Hopefully I will be proved wrong and future announcements will make me reconsider. We shall see.