Propellerhead Software
Old 2011-07-13, 20:17

Classical + usage suggestions

I understand that most users are in the electronic music world (pop, rock, techno, etc.), hence most features built in Reason, as well as other products, are targeted for them. But what about classical composers, I feel we are quite neglected in terms of special features, templates, etc.

As for usage suggestions:
1- Entering exact levels (volume, pan, etc..) using keyboard as knobs are not easily adjusted and sometimes shift by "+/- 1".
2- Selecting a block of tracks to have common attribute (e.g. volume level).
3- Expand the color palette to use windows colors instead of being limited.

Thank you.
Old 2011-07-13, 21:14

I'm honestly intrigued as to how symphonic composers use Reason. I always assumed they just used Sibelieus and then either recorded live performances for quartets, etc. or used something like Cubase with EastWest/QuantumLeap for full orchestra (or a real orchestra if they have the budget).

Nothing wrong with a stack of NN-XTs (especially if you're rocking some nice Miroslav samples with them), but Reason seems like an unusual choice if you're not at least doing some electronic/pop elements with your orchestration.
Old 2011-07-13, 21:36

Just in case you guys may not have seen and heard ekoutalas’ fine works - https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=125957 .
Old 2013-06-26, 12:49

It's been a while since my original post. During that time I believe that I have gone a long way using Reason as a classical or for orchestra. There are several good quality orchestra libraries available now, which augment Reason capabilities. However, there are still more needed and most of all I believe, and out of experience, is the a way to view and work on all tracks simultaneously, or in other words on a full score. composing orchestral music using piano-roll, jumping from one track to another is quite a tedious job! Honestly, I have considered moving to other programs like Sibelius or Finale however, I must say that I am very much used to Reason and I feel it's quite hard for me to change it!
Old 2013-06-27, 17:11

http://www.notionmusic.com/products/notion4.html Rewire compatible notation software. Probably your best bet for now I'd be surprised to see notation in Reason anytime soon.
Old 2013-06-29, 11:01

Thank you for the advice. I have visited notionmusic.com I presume that your advice is based on some experience. So I assume that "Notion 4" does reWire with Reason. So my question, if you have tried it, how about ease of use or common practice?