Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2011-09-07, 08:32

Instrument live playing sounds different from record playback - what the hell?

I've never had this problem before, but I'm using thor and created a kind of trance synth, and I try recording with it and it sounds great while I'm playing it. But when I stop and listen back to the recording of it - it sounds harsher and louder, sounds like the filter setting is up more. Must be some stupid audio setting, but any idea as to how to fix this cause it makes it really annoying. I need to know what my music is gonna sound like while I'm playing, not after its recorded. Any ideas anyone?
Old 2011-09-07, 10:40

Perhaps you can provide more info. Is all this being done entirely inside Reason? When you talk about recording with it, are you talking about using a keyboard controller to record sequencer data, as opposed to some kind of sampling method? Are you recording in an open-ended, linear method, or using the looping feature? Are you using Thor's programmer to affect things? Do you perhaps have the device''s output doubled somehow, say, by using a send or a splitter for some reason?

There's so many different things that might be having some effect, that having as much info as possible helps to narrow it down a bit.

Old 2011-09-07, 18:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by platzangst View Post
Perhaps you can provide more info. Is all this being done entirely inside Reason? When you talk about recording with it, are you talking about using a keyboard controller to record sequencer data, as opposed to some kind of sampling method? Are you recording in an open-ended, linear method, or using the looping feature? Are you using Thor's programmer to affect things? Do you perhaps have the device''s output doubled somehow, say, by using a send or a splitter for some reason?

There's so many different things that might be having some effect, that having as much info as possible helps to narrow it down a bit.
Yeah this is just in Reason 5 with my m-audio midi keyboard. I'm just doing regular recording, no loops. It's probably just some stupid setting. It's just weird having the recording sound different than when I'm physically playing the keyboard.