Propellerhead Software
Old 2011-09-12, 06:33

Balance or Duet 2?

I'm setting up my Mac based home studio in the next couple of months and I'm deciding between - Balance and Duet 2. I'm leaning towards Balance because I like the fact it's class compliant and doesn't need drivers. I don't want to deal with "drivers hell", but the Duet 2 from Apogee is proven and they know Macs. I've never owned any Propellerhead products, but I've been doing a lot of research and I like what I'm seeing. I'm coming from portable multitrack recorders, I'm currently using a Zoom R24 and will continue using it as my sketch pad. I mainly record rock music. I'm basically starting from scratch, what do you guys think? Balance + Reason 6? Or Should I be looking at a Duet 2 + Logic Pro since I mainly record Rock music? I want to focus on one DAW and learn it. I hear Logic Pro X is around the corner.

Thanks in advance!
Old 2011-09-12, 07:56

It's very hard to answer this question since Balance is not out yet and nobody has ever heard it. You may want to want until after September 30th.
Old 2011-09-12, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebretisdead View Post
It's very hard to answer this question since Balance is not out yet and nobody has ever heard it. You may want to want until after September 30th.
You're right, I should wait until 9/30 - I'm not making any purchases until Nov/Dec anyways.
Old 2011-09-12, 18:19

I really do like the fact that Balance doesn't need drivers on a mac and is class compliant meaning I could possibly use this with an iPad/iPhone and I wouldn't have to worry about waiting for an update every time a new version of OS X is released.
Old 2011-09-12, 08:11

I would get a duet. Apogee is top notch converters....
Old 2011-09-12, 08:33

If there's an easy answer, I don't know what it would be -- my advice would just be to test Logic and Reason demos and see what makes sense to you from a workflow standpoint. It is only my opinion (and speculative, at that), but I would tend to expect that there won't be significant differences in the audio quality of either interface. I have both programs and I prefer Reason/Record, but I know dozens of people who prefer Logic.
Old 2011-09-12, 16:05

"I would tend to expect that there won't be significant differences in the audio quality "
Mistake, i doubt balance converters will be as good as Apogee's own .
It will be a difference for sure. I would say seen the price Balance will be in same category as M-Audio qualitywise, while apogee is well above in terms of price range and alsoqualitywise there is nothing better.
Old 2011-09-12, 16:22

I say duet and logic.
Old 2011-09-12, 18:52

First, go with the duet hands down,noway in hell balance can compete. Balance is the first piece of hardware from propeller,apogee has been doing this for years with a solid history. As far as Logic or Reason it depends on how big or small your learning curve is. Logic is for seasoned pro's, it's very complicated and powerful but requires a lot of patience and time. I guarantee you will need to watch several video's to understand it! I'm using logic 7 and reason 4 very good combo. You will need them both too more then likely. I make some beats with Reason but with no AU(audio unit)capabilities i need to finish the song in logic. A lot producers leave logic because it's too hard and goto Reason because of it's ease of use. Pro's and con's Logic does everything,Reason is for newbee's and beyond!
Old 2011-09-12, 19:17
Propellerhead

I just want to reiterate that it's probably a good idea to wait for more info on Balance (closer to release) before making judgements about how it sounds. Read some reviews, try it in a store etc. Saying there's no chance Balance can compete with Duet is a statement nobody but people who have extensively tested both can back up at the moment.

While we as a company haven't done hardware before I assure you we take quality very seriously

Regarding recording and producing rock, that's more than possible in Reason 6! Make sure you try out the demo once it's released September 30th.