Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2011-09-23, 13:36

A good alternative for VST support: Third Party Device Support!

Third Party Developers should create their reason devices, not just combinators, I mean completely new devices and sell it.
Imagine if you can load instruments and effects of selected approved software developer!
I think it would increase the popularuity of reason more and more.
Old 2011-09-23, 13:42

I had a similar idea with the RDD - Reason Device Designer
Old 2011-09-23, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXode View Post
I had a similar idea with the RDD - Reason Device Designer
Your idea is also great and should be also implemented but I mean plugins not made with the algorithms of the props. The developers should have the possibilitie to use their own algorithms. If they use their own and look at the guidlines of the cpu saving concept of the props, would create more all-round tonal quaility in reason.
Both would be the best improvements which can happen!

Last edited by Michael1985; 2011-09-23 at 14:05.
Old 2011-09-23, 18:11

it would suck for collaboration, system stability and product support reasons.
it would be good for people who can't be arsed to learn how to make combinators.
As for VST support, it's called Rewire and it's been around for years.
I live in Lancashire, England.
Old 2011-09-23, 19:37

You dont understand the point.
It would bring an unbelievable variety to the sound of reason.
I have built mammut combinators with umpteen devices but they won't become magic machines and create every sound!You hear always the reason typical sound timbre.
it is not bad but you can't create every sound.
You can use the third party devices within your combinators so your argument does not work that it is for people who cant build combinators.It is even more fun because you have more possiblities for your combinators.

there are people out there who dislike rewire because of its fussiness.
But I dont want to start a discussion about rewire, I tried it alot with it and I know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Michael1985; 2011-09-23 at 19:44.
Old 2011-09-23, 19:58

So what you're saying is you wish rewire was better.
I live in Lancashire, England.
Old 2011-09-23, 20:19

One HUGE thing that would still be an issue for this plugin format over any other existing format is backwards compatibility.

As a composer/writer, one of the main attractions for using Reason for my work has been that even the first song I created back in 2003 will load and playback exactly like it did in 2003. I can't say the same for my Pro Tools songs of the same era, since many of the plugs I used back then were never updated to work with newer versions of Pro Tools. And I can't tell you how frustrating it is to not be able to hear things exactly as I left them, giving me no option but to use a different plugin and try to get close to the original sound. The problem is that this just isn't an easy thing to do with so many custom patches to try to recreate!

Anyway, that's my main concern with introducing third party plugins into the Reason environment. Plus, I don't think I need an "unbelievable variety" of sounds to write my music, and I have options like the NI Komplete package (and a few others) If I'm REALLY needing a certain sound not easily available in Reason. So far I've not found Reason to be lacking any sonic inspiration for me!

Many of the cool complex sounds I can get from plugins, like Absynthe for example, never get used for my music except for a few exceptions. I'm not drawn to Massive like I am to Thor, I love Kontakt but only use it for certain samples that come in that format and are not available as a ReFill. But even when I do use those plugins, these elements are typically added long after the song is written so it's not like I NEED them in order to write music.

I've found no better environment to compose in than Reason, even with all the other choices out there having plugin support! That says it all right there for me, that even without plugins I still find Reason to be the best environment for inspiring creativity in me - for those who feel they need plugin support, so many other music apps already give you that option!

I guess you just have to decide if NOT having third party plugins has any advantages for you - it has huge advantages for me! :-)
USA
Old 2011-09-23, 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1985 View Post
Third Party Developers should create their reason devices, not just combinators, I mean completely new devices and sell it.
Imagine if you can load instruments and effects of selected approved software developer!
I think it would increase the popularuity of reason more and more.
If 3rd party developers and Props supported this, It would be great.
Wee Joe.
Old 2012-09-11, 21:50

Thumbs up

I give this 5 out of 5 as I own lot's of plugins and there's no need to buy anything that I all ready own and can already do outside of reasons.
There needs to be some compromise with this.