Propellerhead Software
Old 2011-10-03, 01:39

Transitioning from Dr. Rex to Dr. Octo

I really love the idea of being able to load 8 loops into one with the new Dr. Octo but I'm really used to being able to control the individual mix with The Dr. Rex loop player in Reason 4. Now I just figured out you can individually adjust the loops within the Dr. Octo but it's not the same as having each loop in it's individual channel to mix. I personally like to add fx and sounds to each loop in a very meticulous manner. So I may load 1 sound per Octo like I the old Dr Rex loop player.

Does anyone else have issues getting used to the Dr. Octo Rex Player?
Old 2011-10-03, 01:48

Hi,

Why not send the individual loops out on separate outputs from the 1 octo - rex and into 8 mix channels?

DK
Old 2011-10-03, 01:52

Hey Dk i'm really fresh to Reason 6 and Octo so that sounds like a great idea, can you break down for me how I can send the loops to the 8 channels? Thank you

P.O.P.
Old 2011-10-03, 03:02

Was going to suggest the same thing drdk did. Also, there's no reason you can't just load one loop into a dr octo and just use it like the old rex player. No need to fill up all 8 banks if you don't want to.
Old 2011-10-03, 03:20

Honestly that's what I was gonna do, because the 8 slots can be very annoying. I know me I don't like a program to beat me so I have to figure it out. I really like the Dr Rex loop player better.
Old 2011-10-03, 03:30

Thanks so much guys I'm just being anal, I can make this very simple like you guys said just use one Octo at a time. Reason 4 was my comfort zone. Reason 6 is amazing I must say so just have to get used to it. Thanks again!

P.O.P.
Old 2011-10-03, 07:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPRODUCTIONZ View Post
I really love the idea of being able to load 8 loops into one with the new Dr. Octo but I'm really used to being able to control the individual mix with The Dr. Rex loop player in Reason 4. Now I just figured out you can individually adjust the loops within the Dr. Octo but it's not the same as having each loop in it's individual channel to mix. I personally like to add fx and sounds to each loop in a very meticulous manner. So I may load 1 sound per Octo like I the old Dr Rex loop player.

Does anyone else have issues getting used to the Dr. Octo Rex Player?
Hi i understand what your saying, i used reason 5 since it was released and now onto 6 and i never got into it as it is probably intended to be used. I still use it as if it is the original dr rex, its nice to know the option is there though to be used if needs be.
Old 2011-10-03, 16:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpic View Post
Hi i understand what your saying, i used reason 5 since it was released and now onto 6 and i never got into it as it is probably intended to be used. I still use it as if it is the original dr rex, its nice to know the option is there though to be used if needs be.
Yes that's a great way to look at it simpic. It's nice to know that you can go the old school Dr Rex route or do it the new way. It's nice to know both ways.
Old 2011-10-08, 17:29

i guess you only need to use the octo rex if your giving the same treatment/manipulation to a set of samples that sound the same. if not do it the old way.