Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2011-10-04, 20:53

Can Reason 6 produce music files for Reason 5?

Hey guys,

New to this forum, Reason, and music production in general. So hello!

I'm taking a college course on Reason & Pro Tools. The teacher and all the other students are using Reason 5. I haven't bought Reason software yet, and I want to buy Reason 6.

Can Reason 6 create music files that can be opened by Reason 5?

(Obviously the teacher needs to be able to open the homework assignments I turn in).

The Reason 6 FAQ is close but doesn't quite answer this question:

http://www.propellerheads.se/reason6...le&article=FAQ

Thank you!
Old 2011-10-04, 20:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcstranger View Post
Hey guys,

New to this forum, Reason, and music production in general. So hello!

I'm taking a college course on Reason & Pro Tools. The teacher and all the other students are using Reason 5. I haven't bought Reason software yet, and I want to buy Reason 6.

Can Reason 6 create music files that can be opened by Reason 5?

(Obviously the teacher needs to be able to open the homework assignments I turn in).

The Reason 6 FAQ is close but doesn't quite answer this question:

http://www.propellerheads.se/reason6...le&article=FAQ

Thank you!
No you can't save files for an previous version
Old 2011-10-04, 22:03

n0ahg - You posted just as I had a suggestion in mind but I’m not sure about it, so since you’re much more on top of the latest on how things work with the upgrades, grace period and all that jazz - is this a good possibility for the dude:

He’s a student and his teacher uses R5 (he didn’t mention R+R). Could he purchase R5 online or anywhere legit today (or before Oct 31st) and qualify for the free (or $99?) R6 and get R6 anytime after that? That way he would have R5 for his classes now but be setup to get R6 later. And since he’s a student, is there any advantage of trying to get a Student/Teacher version of “the old” R5 or is that probably history now?
Old 2011-10-04, 22:15

clarktw, you've given the best solution possible and a lot more helpful than my answer :->

As long as you can find and purchase Reason 5 you'd qualify for the discounted Reason 6 upgrade or R+R would get you a free Reason 6 upgrade. You could install and use the older version for your classes.
Old 2011-10-04, 22:19

@clarktw: That's a great idea! The upgrade offer is detailed here: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...-record-users/

So I buy Reason 5 + Record somewhere online, and then go through the upgrade process but don't actually change the version on my computer until after my course. Sweet!
Old 2011-10-04, 22:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcstranger View Post
@clarktw: That's a great idea! The upgrade offer is detailed here: http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...-record-users/

So I buy Reason 5 + Record somewhere online, and then go through the upgrade process but don't actually change the version on my computer until after my course. Sweet!
You will be licensed to run both versions so you can use whichever you want :-)
Old 2011-10-04, 22:39

I meant to say in my post for you not to do anything until n0ahg responded; he’s the expert on all the ins-and-outs and I’m glad that I was at least on the right track.

Man, I really envy you the situation you’re in: taking a course and the teacher’s using R5; Propellerhead comes out with the great deal to sell off the box copies of R5/R1.5 before they end up in a landfill and you basically get R6 for a song. Speaking of songs, get ready to make some music!
Old 2011-10-04, 22:40

Yeah, and then your copy of Reason 6 will remain dormant in your Downloadable Products section of your account until you are ready to perform the upgrade.

I am in the same situation, I may just reinstall Reason 5 for that class if I have to.
Old 2011-10-04, 22:48

I'm just curious and then I'll shut up: what college(s) is/are this/these or are you guys in the same class?!?