Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > Feature Suggestion Forum

Old 2011-12-12, 19:54

Please, update the browser

I'm very frustrated with Reason browser, everytime i want to load a preset, i'm near to stop the program...

I've made some time measure :

When i click on the "load" button of the Kong's NN-nano sampler... it took 33 seconds to open...

When opening a folder with 40 samples inside = 21 seconds.

When opening a folder with 481 samples inside = 1m58s !!!

Everytime, i click on a folder, minimize it, it take time, and the windows cursor change to the sandglass, everytime...

It's really strange, i use the 32 bit version on a 64 bit system ( bcause Reaper don't support Rewire 64 for now ), my hd is a 5400rpm with an intel T4500 cpu, 4gb ram.

Does this issue is normal ?

Really, it's a nightmare to browse my PC with Reason browser
Old 2011-12-12, 21:28

Yes the browser is 100 times slower than Windows Explorer.

I suggest you upgrade to 7200rpm harddisks, it might help. But still, the browser is slow, even more so when browsing while a song is playing. Opening a folder with a few hundred combinator patches can take 10 to 30 seconds for me, which is just too long to wait and too short to make a cup of coffee. In total it eats away a lot of time on my sessions.
Old 2011-12-12, 22:45

Not having this problem. Folder with 284 samples: quarter of a second.
Old 2011-12-12, 23:25

I have found that if you leave refills open, the browser gets slower.
Old 2011-12-13, 13:43

I think that this issue came from my config, i use Windows 7 64 bit, Reason 6 32 bits.

I'm installing 64 bit version now to see, if it's better.

But no, i'll will not change my hard drive to a 7400rpm just because the Reason browser isn't optimized.
Old 2011-12-13, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokeijikaku View Post
Not having this problem. Folder with 284 samples: quarter of a second.
Are you using a Mac ?
Old 2011-12-13, 13:54

So after installing the 64 bit version of Reason, the browser speed is the same.

I don't know if everyone had this but, when i open the browser, there is a sort of program hang of Reason with written "not responding" on the windows title bar, and this, everytime i close or open a folder inside the browser.

And there is no drag and drop function...

I hope that there will be an update soon.
Old 2011-12-13, 14:05

Ok there is a bug somewhere here in the browser.

When navigating inside Refills, no problem.

I had a favorite folder "samples" where there is a lot, a lot of samples.
Everytime i opened the browser it show me this favorite folder root. And when navigating from here inside the children folder, it take an eternity.

But after i've launched the browser, opened a refill or two, then remove my favorite "samples" folder, and navigating to this folder from the hard drive root, the navigation is smooth and i have to wait 1 or 2 second before my 481 samples folder open.

I've reinitialized my favorite folder, but the problem is still here, when i open the browser it show me my "samples" favorite folder, the navigation is slow as hell. I have to remove my favorite, and go from the hard drive root to my sample folder everytime :/ if prefer loose 10 second of navigation than 2m of pedaling in the semolina ( a french translated expression ).

Last edited by Egoadsr; 2011-12-13 at 16:40.
Old 2011-12-13, 14:38

I also have this problem... When clicking on a folder which contains hundreds of Combinator patches, the browser sometimes freezes and it takes more than 30 seconds until it shows the content of the folder. But in most cases it works fast.
Old 2011-12-13, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egoadsr View Post
So after installing the 64 bit version of Reason, the browser speed is the same.

I don't know if everyone had this but, when i open the browser, there is a sort of program hang of Reason with written "not responding" on the windows title bar, and this, everytime i close or open a folder inside the browser.

And there is no drag and drop function...

I hope that there will be an update soon.
I also get "not responding" hangs on W7, but I had these issues with R5 also. Have tried addressing the problem with props support but was ignored which was insulting. They did say "a hanging windows is not acceptable..." and at the time of R6 beta they offered a logging version to test the problem which I offered to beta test R6 at the same time. Sent them the logs as requested...never heard back from them I gave up.

The browser is fine for some (most?) but terrible for many others and the favourites don't work well.

BTW R6 does have some drag n drop functionality i.e drag a patch from windows explorer into the Reason app and it creates said device. Ditto for audio files and MIDI.

http://soundcloud.com/jordanmiller