Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-01-03, 12:43

My Balance is quiet.

Greetings, fellow Reason / Record / Balance users.

I have the following problem: My balance audio interface is very quiet. I have a late 2009 iMac and Balance's headphone output only manages about a quarter of what the built-in audio card can deliver in volume.

If I may quote:

Powerful headphone amplifier No headphones are too tough for Balance's powerful headphone amp, ensuring earshattering volumes with even the quietest of headphones.

What's going on here?
Old 2012-01-03, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biometric View Post

I have the following problem: My balance audio interface is very quiet. I have a late 2009 iMac and Balance's headphone output only manages about a quarter of what the built-in audio card can deliver in volume.

If I may quote:

Powerful headphone amplifier No headphones are too tough for Balance's powerful headphone amp, ensuring earshattering volumes with even the quietest of headphones.

What's going on here?
Disclaimer: I don't have Balance.

A few possibilities:

1. You're going deaf!
2. Headphones Level not high enough?
2.5 Headphones have their own volume level and it is not set appropriately?
3. Bad (broken) cans?
4. System sound output level too low?
5. A Leprachaun?
Old 2012-01-03, 12:55

1. You're going deaf!
Definitely not.

2. Headphones Level not high enough?
Everything computerinternal maxed. Balance headphone output maxed. I'm using a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-770 pro, so no headphone volume control.

2.5 Headphones have their own volume level and it is not set appropriately?
See 2.

3. Bad (broken) cans?
Headphones work like a charm, deliver full, crystal clear sound via the chea built in iMac soundcard. 4 times the level I might add.

4. System sound output level too low?
See 2.

5. A Leprachaun
Maybe, but highly unlikely.
Old 2012-01-03, 12:58

Hi B
I'm not a Mac user but a friend is, he had a problem like this , it turned out the volume on his Mac was very low,
there for, his Duet IO had very little level. I thought if you enable your IO on a Mac it would disable internal sound ,
maybe not . Something to check maybe

Martin
http://soundcloud.com/itchy-brother-music
Melbourne Australia
Old 2012-01-03, 13:01

Good call, I checked the Audio Midi Utility and was able to fix the problem. For some reason the system had turned down both individual channels down to about 25 percent, which is why they were quiet even when both the internal master and balance's master were maxed. Thanks for the help.
Old 2012-01-03, 14:12

Damn leprechauns
Old 2012-01-03, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biometric View Post

If I may quote:

What's going on here?
Hi there,

Having read a few reviews on Amazon and Sound On Sound, the general consensus is that the headphone level can be quiet even when on max....which is a shame cos I have some DT770 250ohm cans on order and have just acquired Balance myself. I'll let you know how I get on with the Beyer headphones when they arrive although my output goes through a separate amp so if the direct output on Balance is poor I'll use the phone socket on the amp instead.

I will say that I'm currently using a cheap pair of Philips headphones with tiny impedence (8 ohms I think) and although they sound crap, the volume is very good on Balance. I imagine the 250ohms impedance on the Beyers will reduce the sound level and maybe that is the problem you are experiencing....too much resistance.

cheers

Edit: I see that you've sorted it anyway - It always pays to read the full conversation, lol! Glad you've got it under control.

Last edited by mrkinnies; 2012-01-03 at 14:36.
Old 2012-01-03, 15:31
Propellerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkinnies View Post
Hi there,

Having read a few reviews on Amazon and Sound On Sound, the general consensus is that the headphone level can be quiet even when on max....which is a shame cos I have some DT770 250ohm cans on order and have just acquired Balance myself. I'll let you know how I get on with the Beyer headphones when they arrive although my output goes through a separate amp so if the direct output on Balance is poor I'll use the phone socket on the amp instead.

I will say that I'm currently using a cheap pair of Philips headphones with tiny impedence (8 ohms I think) and although they sound crap, the volume is very good on Balance. I imagine the 250ohms impedance on the Beyers will reduce the sound level and maybe that is the problem you are experiencing....too much resistance.

cheers

Edit: I see that you've sorted it anyway - It always pays to read the full conversation, lol! Glad you've got it under control.
Let me just add that the headphone amp in Balance is actually very, very loud. We put a lot of time and effort into that! What you SHOULD know though is that Balance respects the system level of Mac OS X. I personally believe that the Sound On Sound reviewer had his system level turned down as we have the same headphones he used here and it literally hurts your ears if the Balance output is above 50%.

Don't trust everything you read, try things instead.
Old 2012-01-03, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiasHG View Post
Let me just add that the headphone amp in Balance is actually very, very loud. We put a lot of time and effort into that! What you SHOULD know though is that Balance respects the system level of Mac OS X. I personally believe that the Sound On Sound reviewer had his system level turned down as we have the same headphones he used here and it literally hurts your ears if the Balance output is above 50%.

Don't trust everything you read, try things instead.
Ok thanks. As I said, the cheap phones I have been using for the past couple of weeks give great volume when the control is turned up but I've yet to try them with phones of a higher impedance.

NIce to see a quick response. Could you hurry up the department which upgrades Reason owners (like myself) to Reason 6 after Balance is registered. I appreciate it has been the holiday season but I've been waiting since Christmas Day

Last edited by mrkinnies; 2012-01-03 at 16:51.
Old 2012-01-04, 06:03

Word, Balance will smoke your cochleas unless you are running some super-high-impedance cans.

What????

Huh??

J.