Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-01-04, 07:09

Making music w/o an audio interface

I'm currently using the keyboard in Reason to produce music and I'm looking to get the best quality. I can see an audio interface being essential if you're recording instruments or using a midi keyboard but does getting an interface affect the music quality when I'm producing all internally?

Also, what if I did get an audio interface and still recorded with the keyboard in Reason. Will it make the sound quality better when I render the final product?
Old 2012-01-04, 17:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeezyProductions View Post
I'm currently using the keyboard in Reason to produce music and I'm looking to get the best quality. I can see an audio interface being essential if you're recording instruments or using a midi keyboard but does getting an interface affect the music quality when I'm producing all internally?

Also, what if I did get an audio interface and still recorded with the keyboard in Reason. Will it make the sound quality better when I render the final product?
If you're only using internal instruments then getting an interface is most likely a waste of time. It won't make Reason sound any better. The .wav file you eventually make will be exactly the same regardless of your interface.

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2012-01-05, 18:49

No. The render quality is unaffected by the presence of an audio interface - that is all CPU based. You can use the internal keyboard or a USB keyboard without an audio interface.
Old 2013-01-04, 10:41

This is an interesting question. The other two comments are correct. But I don't know anyone who produces music on a computer who doesn't listen to music on their computer or even play it for others on their computer. And a good external sound card/interface can make your headphones and line out sound a lot better. It is the thing that turns your music from 1s and 0s into analog signals in your speakers.
Old 2013-01-04, 11:07

it contributes to your sound while mixing successive to the final song.