Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-01-17, 14:02

Reason Dubstep Producers?

I have lately really been trying to get going in the Dubstep production world. Right now, I only have Reason 6, and I am finding myself getting stuck and not knowing how to proceed.
I know there are a few Dubstep producers who use Reason for their tracks, but I have not found many in my searching. I was hoping to be able to hear tracks that I know were made in Reason so I can help myself understand how you make Dubstep in Reason. I also wanted to maybe chat with a few producers who use it so I can get a better understanding of how to go about making my own.
There are only a very small handful of Reason Dubstep tutorials on YouTube, all of which I have watched, and there is an even smaller amount that pertain specifically to Reason 6 (I think I found one, and it wasn't a full on Dubstep tutorial, just BoyInABand experimenting with R6 when it first came out).
If anyone can recommend any tuts, producers, or tracks that pertain to Dubstep production in R6, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Old 2012-01-17, 14:15
Banned

All my Dubstep tracks were made with Reason 6 only, but you know all I do it's just sudden things, this is my approach in music I never know what I do next, so I can't advise you a particular things except how to twist up some bass lines... if you wanna listen my tracks & want some bass patches out there let me know then...

Anyway this one was a my first Dupstep track:

Loading SoundCloud…

And have a listen my new Dubstep from my signature...
Old 2012-01-17, 14:21

Most of the kids at my college (MUCH younger than me) are making dubstep.... some of it wafting out of the mastering suite sounds pretty awesome...

If I look around at what they are using its mainly Logic with NI Massive...

I know this doesnt answer your question, and Im not doubting it is all possible in R6.... just pointing out an observation.
Old 2012-01-17, 21:35

@Mate: Yeah man your tracks are definitely crisp, I am just trying to get at more modern, heavy Dubstep (think Chrispy, Mizuki's Last Chance, Dorincourt,, modern Nero and Flux Pavillion, etc.)

@Borderline: I know Massive is a popular tool among modern Dubstep producers, and if Reason 6 had VST support then I'd already own it.. I just don't like the idea of going out and buying a new DAW with VST support after buying Reason, I know it's gotta be possible to do well in Reason so that's why I'm on the search for tuts/producers/tracks that use R6 only.
Old 2012-01-18, 00:14

http://soundcloud.com/mr_anderson/ey...eat-mikal-dark

That is a clip from the latest track that my colab buddy and I produced with reason 6 only.

I know commix uses reason. Claude von stroke uses reason and I am sure others do as well.

Reason is capable of making any sound any other program can, it just takes some programming. A lot of people think massive is the go-to plug in to make dubstep sounds. It is a great synth, but honestly reason can make the exact same sounds as massive, it just takes some knowledge on modulation. Massive is a great plug in for people who do not exactly know much about modulations using LFO's and such, and it is a great synth to just pick presets from and compose.

Good luck. Practice, don't get too discouraged. Reason is my favorite program and I have used ableton, logic, pro tools, hardware and reason. Amazing program, just like anything else though, it takes practice...
Old 2012-01-18, 00:25
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhypht View Post
@Mate: Yeah man your tracks are definitely crisp, I am just trying to get at more modern, heavy Dubstep (think Chrispy, Mizuki's Last Chance, Dorincourt,, modern Nero and Flux Pavillion, etc.)
Thanks man! Yeah I have quite experimental Dubstep, but I'm very glad with what I have so far... especially with my latest track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlduhon View Post

That is a clip from the latest track that my colab buddy and I produced with reason 6 only.

I know commix uses reason. Claude von stroke uses reason and I am sure others do as well.

Reason is capable of making any sound any other program can, it just takes some programming. A lot of people think massive is the go-to plug in to make dubstep sounds. It is a great synth, but honestly reason can make the exact same sounds as massive, it just takes some knowledge on modulation. Massive is a great plug in for people who do not exactly know much about modulations using LFO's and such, and it is a great synth to just pick presets from and compose.

Good luck. Practice, don't get too discouraged. Reason is my favorite program and I have used ableton, logic, pro tools, hardware and reason. Amazing program, just like anything else though, it takes practice...
Totally agree with you, very cool when you can twisted up some sounds you want by yourself, I really don't need ReFill synth patches by now, very like to twisted up my own sounds, so Rhypht if you get how to create patches so you'll be golden then!

P.S. nlduhon nice track, melodic & sounds very neat, not that hard, quite a some Liquid or such...
Old 2013-06-18, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlduhon View Post

I agree, and disagree. You can make your own patches, or modify patches in Massive the same way you'd do in say, Thor. It's just a hell of a lot more complicated to learn the way NI's routing is setup. However, the same synthesis/routing methods apply. I think you are more compelled to be creative in Reason because of it's environment. And comparing a plug-in to an entire Daw is kind of misleading IMHO

Loading SoundCloud…
Old 2013-06-14, 06:49

Quote:

@Borderline: I know Massive is a popular tool among modern Dubstep producers, and if Reason 6 had VST support then I'd already own it.. I just don't like the idea of going out and buying a new DAW with VST support after buying Reason, I know it's gotta be possible to do well in Reason so that's why I'm on the search for tuts/producers/tracks that use R6 only.
NEVER STOP WATCHING TUTORIALS.....they have made all the difference for me. Boyinaband is a great site, all of his tips and attention to detail are very useful. Up until 2 months ago I had used nothing but reason since version 2.5 circa 2005, but I can't describe the level of quality that a decent mastering suite can bring to your music. I now use Ableton strictly for izotope's Ozone5 mastering suite and I use reason for EVERYTHING else!!!
Old 2013-06-14, 12:42

I Produce Deep, Dungeon Style Dubstep with Reason now.

here is an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPYkhqgL7KU
and a clip of my newest track:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqo3glyp9e...nsion_clip.mp3

before that i had a project with a friend. it was mostly brostep but we called it funstep because it features some funny sampling
heres the youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/DRMSKRDD

all produced inside reason 6 and 6.5

I have managed to get me a nice collection of selfmade combinator patches over time. if your interessted i could share some with you

Greets
Daniel
Old 2013-01-18, 05:43

Quote:
I have lately really been trying to get going in the Dubstep production world. Right now, I only have Reason 6, and I am finding myself getting stuck and not knowing how to proceed.
I know there are a few Dubstep producers who use Reason for their tracks, but I have not found many in my searching. I was hoping to be able to hear tracks that I know were made in Reason so I can help myself understand how you make Dubstep in Reason. I also wanted to maybe chat with a few producers who use it so I can get a better understanding of how to go about making my own.
There are only a very small handful of Reason Dubstep tutorials on YouTube, all of which I have watched, and there is an even smaller amount that pertain specifically to Reason 6 (I think I found one, and it wasn't a full on Dubstep tutorial, just BoyInABand experimenting with R6 when it first came out).
If anyone can recommend any tuts, producers, or tracks that pertain to Dubstep production in R6, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Suprised nobody has mentioned this, but one of the best tutorials i have seen for reason is from FUNTCASE, google "funtcase computer music masterclass" trust me its very good, he goes through every little bit of his track and i think it is made in reason 4 so you will be able to do everything he does in reason 6 and more, its a good tutorial to get tips from i actually started to make dubstep after seeing that tutorial because it was wayy more informative than any other house or techno tutorials i had seen (i want to produce house/techno)