Propellerhead Software
Old 2012-01-28, 21:57

Audio clip editing tutorial?

Anyone know of a good tutorial on audio editing in Reason 6?

I want to learn how to add silence in audio clips between vocal phrases. I can add a handle to create silence, but they are not acting like I expect them to. It doesn't seem intuitive to me. Looking for a decent short video tutorial that explains this. The manual seems a little light in this area as well.
Old 2012-01-28, 22:02

Seems to me the easiest way is to zoom way in, turn off snap, and slice between words. Not sure about tuts however, sorry.
Old 2012-01-28, 23:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdFloorSound View Post
Seems to me the easiest way is to zoom way in, turn off snap, and slice between words. Not sure about tuts however, sorry.
That's what I do, and then use fade ins and fade outs to smooth the edits. That's also the simplest solution by far IMO. :-)
USA
Old 2012-01-29, 02:30

Perhaps, then rejoin the clips on each side of the cut out piece so you have one clip again. Still, would like to understand how the tools in the audio clip editor work a little better to understand what's possible.

Reason is feeling a little underdeveloped in this area. Decent comping tools, but when it comes to fine tuning and editing an audio clip, it's just not there yet. No easy-to-use audio warp yet either. I know, again you can slice it up and stretch it around, but this is so cumbersome compared to more elegant solutions. Reason 7 hopefully. Until then, rewire.
Old 2012-01-29, 03:30

He's actually very right here, guys. For the record.

I mean come on - to even say Reason has Audio Editing is totally a stretch. Its got as about advanced Audio Editing as Camtasia does. Thats right, I said Camtasia. The screen capture program.

Reason 6 has comperable Audio Editing to Camtasia. You can raise and lower the volumes in spots, put slices, put points to drag up and down. Basically the same in both.

If you want professional wave editing, look into the Industry standard for any company doing Audio Books who need pristine audio, or any radio station, or anyone who does pro webcasting, and youll see theyre using Adobe Audition. Editing in anything else is like playing in front of 1000 people with Crate guitar amplifier with an 8" speaker.

Meaning, it just doesnt cut it and is a poor choice of a tool for a job.

"That's what I do, and then use fade ins and fade outs to smooth the edits. That's also the simplest solution by far IMO. :-)" ~ Yes. This is the technique many people do. I do it all the time as well. And yes, fades in between each clip. Reaper actually takes the prize for ease of use in this technique. Or speed at which is can be done I should say. Also, the accuracy of clip fade ins and outs, well that prize goes to Audition for definite as you can instantly create any kind of fade youd like.

Hard to beat the foundation Cool Edit made. Thats why the guts of that program are still alive in Adobe Audtion and why its still the premier editor.
Old 2012-01-29, 04:59

The line about the Crate had me crackin' up - instantly made me think of that early 90's saturated built in chorus.
It's true, there are a bunch of editing tools that need to be added, I use Audition as well for a lot of things when I'm doing the down and dirty editing on audio files - wondered if it was just me because I've been using it for 9 or 10 years.
Bunch about this in the feature request section. Be nice to have standard rubber-band type envelopes, etc.
Old 2012-01-30, 02:33

Rather than chopping up a clip and then fading on either end, I prefer to add silence to the clip to keep the whole piece of audio together. My method is as follows:

1. Go to the audio clip where you want to add silence and zoom in enough so you can work with the clip.

2. Use the pencil tool and draw a block of silence where you need it (between the end of your first vocal line and beginning of your next line). It's easier to turn snapping off so you can be more precise where the silence is placed. I always draw silence a little after the tail of a clip to avoid cutting off any subtle parts of audio at the end. I prefer to leave things like breathing alone because it makes vocals more natural, but feel free to remove things like that, especially if there's some weird breathing going on. Also, remember to re-enable snap after drawing your silence.

3. Join the audio and silence clips by selecting the first clip (the audio), then shift clicking the second clip (the silence), and selecting join. This will add the silence to a comp lane in the audio clip. Now that the silence is in a comp lane we can crossfade the silence on either end to blend it into the audio.

4. Double click the audio clip and enable comping mode (if it's not enabled already). Comping mode is the mode which displays the lanes (takes) within an audio clip.

5. While in comping mode, go to the handles on either side of the silence (you can shift click to select the start and end handles at once), move the cursor over the flags adjacent to the handles and then click and drag these flags to create crossfades on either side. This will smooth the audio in and out on either end of the silence, giving it a seamless, professional feel. If you have added too little or too much silence, you can drag the handles to increase/decrease the amount of silence.

I like this method because I am free to change the amount of silence in a clip at any time, while keeping the entire section of audio together. There are times where I will have breaks in the audio - between a verse and chorus for example. In these instances I'll just use a good ol' fashioned fade out and fade in on the respective clips as others have suggested.

Remember that Reason is non-destructive when working with audio, so adding silence to your audio doesn't break anything. If you don't do the right thing you can simply razor in the original audio from its comp lane or undo the changes. Alternatively, if you're paranoid about ruining your clip, make a duplicate, mute the original and move it out of the way, and perform the changes with the duplicate.

jivemaster.com
Reason 6 | RODE NT-1A Mic | Akai MAX49 | Akai MPK Mini
MicroKORG | Roland AX-1
Old 2012-01-30, 02:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivemaster View Post
Rather than chopping up a clip and then fading on either end, I prefer to add silence to the clip to keep the whole piece of audio together. My method is as follows:

1. Go to the audio clip where you want to add silence and zoom in enough so you can work with the clip.

2. Use the pencil tool and draw a block of silence where you need it (between the end of your first vocal line and beginning of your next line). It's easier to turn snapping off so you can be more precise where the silence is placed. I always draw silence a little after the tail of a clip to avoid cutting off any subtle parts of audio at the end. I prefer to leave things like breathing alone because it makes vocals more natural, but feel free to remove things like that, especially if there's some weird breathing going on. Also, remember to re-enable snap after drawing your silence.

3. Join the audio and silence clips by selecting the first clip (the audio), then shift clicking the second clip (the silence), and selecting join. This will add the silence to a comp lane in the audio clip. Now that the silence is in a comp lane we can crossfade the silence on either end to blend it into the audio.

4. Double click the audio clip and enable comping mode (if it's not enabled already). Comping mode is the mode which displays the lanes (takes) within an audio clip.

5. While in comping mode, go to the handles on either side of the silence (you can shift click to select the start and end handles at once), move the cursor over the flags adjacent to the handles and then click and drag these flags to create crossfades on either side. This will smooth the audio in and out on either end of the silence, giving it a seamless, professional feel. If you have added too little or too much silence, you can drag the handles to increase/decrease the amount of silence.

I like this method because I am free to change the amount of silence in a clip at any time, while keeping the entire section of audio together. There are times where I will have breaks in the audio - between a verse and chorus for example. In these instances I'll just use a good ol' fashioned fade out and fade in on the respective clips as others have suggested.

Remember that Reason is non-destructive when working with audio, so adding silence to your audio doesn't break anything. If you don't do the right thing you can simply razor in the original audio from its comp lane or undo the changes. Alternatively, if you're paranoid about ruining your clip, make a duplicate, mute the original and move it out of the way, and perform the changes with the duplicate.

Why add silence though?