Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-02-08, 15:14

Why is Reason's file browser so abyssmally slow?

Every aspect of Reason screams intuitivity to get started quickly to create music EXCEPT for one thing: The file browser! Since Reason exists it seems this snail has never been improved.

I've just browsed a folder with 464 mixed patches in it and stopped the time: It took 36 seconds before any files appeared in the browser!! 36 freaking seconds that break any sense of creative flow! And this was on a fast local harddisk on a Pentium i7, not on any LANdisk or anything like that! Is there a secret trick that unlocks normal file browsing speed?

Holy cow, dear Props please do us all a favor and improve the file browser (and while you're at it give it better functionality, e.g. tagging like in NI Kore)!
Old 2012-02-08, 16:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by altron View Post
Every aspect of Reason screams intuitivity to get started quickly to create music EXCEPT for one thing: The file browser! Since Reason exists it seems this snail has never been improved.

I've just browsed a folder with 464 mixed patches in it and stopped the time: It took 36 seconds before any files appeared in the browser!! 36 freaking seconds that break any sense of creative flow! And this was on a fast local harddisk on a Pentium i7, not on any LANdisk or anything like that! Is there a secret trick that unlocks normal file browsing speed?

Holy cow, dear Props please do us all a favor and improve the file browser (and while you're at it give it better functionality, e.g. tagging like in NI Kore)!
+1
It appears to be something they can't quite nail - or they just don't give a monkey's hanging parts about it!
If I click on a refill folder I have on my second drive I then go and make a cup of tea so I don't have to watch the ensuing struggle.

Grum.
Old 2012-02-08, 17:10

I feel the same way fellas. I use Icedaudio's Audio Finder software, it's an excellent and super fast browser and great at finding what you're looking for! I really shouldn't have to lean on a 3rd party software for browsing but the one in Reason does suck.
With Audio Finder I just drag any wav file, aiff, loop etc. onto the Reason icon and it's in my session. The spot to track in Audio Finder works flawless for Pro Tools and Logic. Why can't Props get it together?
By the way this only works for me cause I have 2 interfaces. One for R6 and the other for all other standalone software utilizing separate drivers.

I think the drag and drop for Windows using Reason allows you to drag onto the sequencer window? Not sure, but for Mac it's onto the icon. They need to address this too.

New hit single now on iTunes. I co-wrote, co-produced, and mixed it all in Reason 7 - "Shine" (Diamonded Up) by Sonny
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/sh...ign-mpt=uo%3D4

VEVO:
Video on VEVO and world-wide Video outlets: http://vevo.ly/EcW39o

On Soundcloud:
Loading SoundCloud…

Last edited by BeatmakerEI; 2012-02-08 at 17:13.
Old 2012-02-09, 00:25

The search function is painful too.

Answer: all refills should be *indexed*, which means that searches will mostly be nearly instantaneous.
Old 2012-02-09, 03:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
The search function is painful too.

Answer: all refills should be *indexed*, which means that searches will mostly be nearly instantaneous.
Exactly! Optimally Reason would generate and maintain a database of all indexed patches (refill or non-refill). I've been using Kore since a long time and miss the comfortable patch management features in Reason.

But even without indexing it's a mystery to me why Reason's file browser is so extremity slow. No other application on my computer (audio or not) has such a slow file management.
Old 2012-02-14, 00:28

yes, very frustrating. i´m planning to buy a ssd harddrive. maybe then goes everything faster. but to be honest, i don´t think so ;/
Old 2013-09-20, 09:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatmakerEI View Post
I feel the same way fellas. I use Icedaudio's Audio Finder software, it's an excellent and super fast browser and great at finding what you're looking for! I really shouldn't have to lean on a 3rd party software for browsing but the one in Reason does suck.
With Audio Finder I just drag any wav file, aiff, loop etc. onto the Reason icon and it's in my session. The spot to track in Audio Finder works flawless for Pro Tools and Logic. Why can't Props get it together?
By the way this only works for me cause I have 2 interfaces. One for R6 and the other for all other standalone software utilizing separate drivers.

I think the drag and drop for Windows using Reason allows you to drag onto the sequencer window? Not sure, but for Mac it's onto the icon. They need to address this too.
I wanted to advise you that Reason 7 actually have some kind of drag and drop and with "audioease snapper " I can drag entire or portions of wav, aiff and mp3

Reason 7.0.1 / Mac Pro 8 core 16 gigabyte Ram / M-Audio Firewire 410 / Studio UAD Solo 2 Quad / Behringer BCF2000 / Ua Distressor / Yamaha HFS80/ Blamsoft Resampler / Bitspeek LPC Vocoder / Ozone Maximizer / Rough Compressor / Softube FET / RPdistort Effect / RPsubboombass / Synapse Antidote / Korg Polysix / Quadelectra Stereo Splitter / Selig Curve / ReQ131

https://facebook.com/lemecdj
https://twitter.com/karimlemecdj
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://www.youtube.com/user/kynziomusic
Old 2013-09-14, 06:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbleweed View Post
+1
It appears to be something they can't quite nail - or they just don't give a monkey's hanging parts about it!
If I click on a refill folder I have on my second drive I then go and make a cup of tea so I don't have to watch the ensuing struggle.

Grum.
A cup of tea? Try a movie or weekend in the Keys. It's absurd.

I have to CTRL + ALT + DEL 99% of the time.
Old 2012-10-06, 00:34

Fixed locations

Quote:
Originally Posted by altron View Post

Reason browses faster in fixed locations. Make sure all of your "downloaded" refills are in the reason fixed locations folder. It is the one at the top of the locations and favorites menu. If you have all your refills in an added location; drag them out of there into the fixed folder c.program files.propellerhead.reason you will see the factory and okester soudbank in that folder

Last edited by liquidtrai; 2012-10-06 at 03:58.
Old 2012-10-06, 02:03

Also, one more time: check you don't have any shortcuts to networked folders in any of the folders that feature in the file browser's left hand side "Locations and Favorites" list. Because that kills browser performance like nothing else.