Propellerhead Software

Go Back   Propellerhead Forum > General Forum (read only)

Old 2012-03-13, 03:35
Rcruzn

Can't record sounds from my midi keyboard, Reason 5

This is complicated but I'm having a problem recording imputs made by my M-Audio keystation 88es keyboard. On keyboard and control surfaces, the program cannot auto-detect my keyboard and it doesn't allow me to click my keyboard as an option when adding it. I can however play music with my midi by clicking Advanced midi on the hardware interface and clicking on any of the channels; my keyboard is listed as midi input on the hardware interface. That way I can play one instrument at a time from each channel, however, the notes made by my midi cannot be recorded. The inputs created from the on screen keyboard in Reason however can be recorded, so I am very confused. I've tried almost everything, please help. thanks.
Old 2012-03-13, 08:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcruzn View Post
This is complicated but I'm having a problem recording imputs made by my M-Audio keystation 88es keyboard. On keyboard and control surfaces, the program cannot auto-detect my keyboard and it doesn't allow me to click my keyboard as an option when adding it. I can however play music with my midi by clicking Advanced midi on the hardware interface and clicking on any of the channels; my keyboard is listed as midi input on the hardware interface. That way I can play one instrument at a time from each channel, however, the notes made by my midi cannot be recorded. The inputs created from the on screen keyboard in Reason however can be recorded, so I am very confused. I've tried almost everything, please help. thanks.
I've had an issue like this before when trying to add midi drums as a control surface. What I discovered is that if you add it through the advanced midi settings it will not be able to record, it simply becomes an instrument like you've just witnessed.
You need to go back to the control sufaces menu and add your keyboard manually. That being if it doesn't do it automatically, just follow the instructions on the menu for manual setup.
Old 2012-03-13, 19:49
Rcruzn

Your answer has helped me realize a lot about my problem, thank you. I guess the problem now is, Reason can't detect my keyboard or the drivers that I installed for it. When I go on to keyboard and control surfaces and try to add my keyboard manually, it only lets me choose the manufacturer and model. It won't let me type in the name or choose the imput or click find, not even when I choose <other> keyboards. Do you know what the problem may be?
Old 2013-10-31, 12:45

thank u for your post spent two days trying to figure that out
Old 2013-08-01, 22:02

Hey i have the same problem with reason 7, did you endup gettingen the answer? plz tell me what to do, big thanks, Leon.